The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1989 Olds Custom Cruiser guestions

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2019, 11:41 AM

Red face 1989 Olds Custom Cruiser guestions

I have above wagon and have several issues with it. The power antenna had been replaced with a manual antenna and I have purchased an aftermarket power antenna and can't seem to get it to work. It works by wiring across the battery. Also the heater control has a problem when moved to the vent and a/c modes. The air vents don't switch to the dash but remain on the floor. Also the previous owner cut the left middle seat belt in half. Looking for a new assy.

Thank you

Dave
Old August 28th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome.

The stock antenna has a set of internal contacts and a relay that keeps the motor going until the mast hits the full up or full down positions. Aftermarket antennas are not wired this way and will not work properly, as you found out. Your options are to get a correct GM antenna (which can be rebuilt, by the way) or simply use an auxiliary switch to power the aftermarket antenna.

The HVAC doors are operated by engine vacuum. If there is no vacuum (due to a hose not connected properly, for example) the system defaults to the floor and defrost vents. Figure out why there is no vacuum to the system.

You might want to get one of these:

Old August 28th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Olds Fever

If you should need the manual Joe referenced in his post, I have one available for sale...
Old August 29th, 2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome.

The stock antenna has a set of internal contacts and a relay that keeps the motor going until the mast hits the full up or full down positions. Aftermarket antennas are not wired this way and will not work properly, as you found out. Your options are to get a correct GM antenna (which can be rebuilt, by the way) or simply use an auxiliary switch to power the aftermarket antenna.

The HVAC doors are operated by engine vacuum. If there is no vacuum (due to a hose not connected properly, for example) the system defaults to the floor and defrost vents. Figure out why there is no vacuum to the system.

You might want to get one of these:

I have that manual. I have looked for a OEM antenna and can't find one. What type of switch would I need? One position for up, one position for down and an off position?

Thank you for your help

Dave
Old August 29th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by summergirl
I have that manual. I have looked for a OEM antenna and can't find one. What type of switch would I need? One position for up, one position for down and an off position?

Thank you for your help

Dave
It depends on which aftermarket antenna you have and how it is supposed to be wired.