The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1972 Olds Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2021, 01:31 PM

1972 Olds Cutlass

Hello everyone. My son just bought a 1972 Olds Cutlass and I'm going to help him fix it up. It needs a lot of work before it's even road worthy. Found this site and thought it might be advantageous to be a part of a group that also love Oldsmobiles. I owned a 1975 Delta 88 and a 1976 Delta 98 back in the late eighties and really loved those cars. Wish I had kept the 76. It was a great car. Pass everything except the gas station.
Old August 16th, 2021, 01:32 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, we love pictures.
Old August 16th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Welcome, we love pictures.
And father and son projects... Welcome to the site.
Old August 16th, 2021, 01:59 PM
Banned

Yeah what they said. Welcome and enjoy the ride. Plenty of helpful people here.
Old August 16th, 2021, 02:05 PM

Here are some pics. She's in rough shape and neither one of us has done a restore before. Last time a rebuilt an engine was 30+ years ago in grade 12 auto mechanics. I've never done body work before so we will probably leave most of that up to a local shop. Just glad that these old engines are so easy to work on for the most part. Not like looking in my Chevy Duramax engine compartment.

Old August 16th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Oldsdruid

The great thing is these years have good aftermarket and reproduction support. A Fusick catalog and a few others will show you just what's available.

Don't sweat an engine rebuild. Just make damn sure the machinist understands it is not a SBC.

See if local community college or tech school offers a summer auto tech or body shop program.

How old is yer kid?
Old August 16th, 2021, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The great thing is these years have good aftermarket and reproduction support. A Fusick catalog and a few others will show you just what's available.

Don't sweat an engine rebuild. Just make damn sure the machinist understands it is not a SBC.

See if local community college or tech school offers a summer auto tech or body shop program.

How old is yer kid?
Everything he said. Perfect sleeper 455 car. Great staring point.
Old August 16th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Oldsdruid

To make things a little easier, your S shares some components like windshield, carpet, weatherstripping and possibly door glass with same year Chevelle. Other pieces like quarters are 70-72 S only. 71-72 all Cutlass series share bumpers.

Let me see if I still have any 72 stuff. Had some left over from a Supreme I had about 30 years ago.

When you get to that point, even though its color is what we used to call ****-brindle brown, add a little extra gold flake to it and that color will explode in sunlight.

If you have a pair (or more) those 15x8 Pontiac Snowflake aluminum wheels bring some coin in TransAM circles. They were usually part of WS6 suspension and brake package.

Last edited by rocketraider; August 16th, 2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old August 16th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Banned

If you have a pair (or more) those 15x8 Pontiac Snowflake aluminum wheels bring some coin in TransAM circles. They were usually part of WS6 suspension and brake package.
I was thinking the same thing. Pontiac fan might just love the letters stamped on those wheels. If you had a set of four? Perfect. Help finance this here 72.
Old August 17th, 2021, 07:18 AM

To make things a little easier, your S shares some components like windshield, carpet, weatherstripping and possibly door glass with same year Chevelle. Other pieces like quarters are 70-72 S only. 71-72 all Cutlass series share bumpers.

Let me see if I still have any 72 stuff. Had some left over from a Supreme I had about 30 years ago.

When you get to that point, even though its color is what we used to call ****-brindle brown, add a little extra gold flake to it and that color will explode in sunlight.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep all of that in mind as we get working on it. We're a long way away from paint. First have to get the engine running then get the brakes working again. Transmission is also slipping so it will either need a rebuild or replacement. My son really likes the back wheels and is wanting to keep them. He's not sure if he wants to make it a show car or a muscle car. I like the your paint idea though. You see so many red and white cars that something a little different wouldn't hurt.
Old August 17th, 2021, 07:46 AM

Congrats on the project. Savor every moment with your son...the car customization work is an added benefit. Father-son projects are the BEST!

There are lots of fun car-color combinations to consider once you get to that point.....

Old August 21st, 2021, 04:34 PM

I hadn't looked in the truck but to my surprise we have the front set of those snowflake rims. We are thinking we might keep them and clean them up. Kinda depends on what we can get for them.