The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1972 Cutlass Supreme (conv) upgrades

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2016, 05:42 AM

1972 Cutlass Supreme (conv) upgrades

Hello,

We did a body off frame restoration 2 years ago to my CS. It's in great shape but want to do some upgrades to have a more enjoyable driving experience. I'm a dual exhaust fan but this is not a 442. Thinking of putting on a stock 442 dual exhaust system, while keeping the old pipe where it was, and putting the new driver side pipe in the same position as the other (except on driver side - this would mean no new 442 bumper and I can keep the pipes hidden). My thoughts are that stock 442 mufflers won't be too loud but add a healthy sound - again it's not a 442, it should stay somewhat quiet.

I've also had people propose to upgrade the car from the old point ignition system to a HEI. From what I've gathered the car will start and perform much better.

The drum brakes are not something I like, since 80% of the braking power is managed by the front two, it seems obvious to upgrade to disc for the front. Again, this isn't a 442 but I'd like to be able to hop in and have it be easier to drive, which suggests some performace'ish upgrades.

Also, I've got the painted 14" rims with white wall tires. I'm thinking of going to something with a little more width and raised white letters.

Thoughts?
Old September 26th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

The factory dual exhaust on the 350 used the same passenger side pipe and muffler as the single exhaust. You just need the cap that covers the crossover hole in the passenger side manifold. "442" mufflers are probably not your best choice. Sound quality is very subjective, but many here use Walker Dynomax turbo mufflers. I suggest the 21" versions if you want a quieter ride.
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:44 PM

You keep saying "it's not a 442" but all of the things you want were options on a "regular" Cutlass, so don't get hung up on that "it's not a 442" thing and install the options that you want on your car.
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:51 AM

I have also a 72 CS conv, which is also not a 442.

I updated/restored my car mainly regarding my personal taste and technical sensefull options; originality is not the most important thing for me.

I updated to a dual exhaust system (there is a complete Flowmaster kit for A-Body cars) but swapped very fast the flowmasters mufflers against walker dynomax. Flowmaster Super 40 way too loud for my taste. The dual exhausts look much more better than the single exhaust in my opinion. Can´t say that it was a hugh win of power or whatever, to be honest I face no difference; I use my car as a cruiser, not as a street runner.

I also replaced points against a pertronix; same here, can´t say that it runs better or smoother or whatever, I just changed it because I wanted to :-)

Sensefull is the change to disc brakes, you´ll face a much better braking feeling.

My 0.02$.
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, your list of upgrades are reasonable in your quest to personalize your car.