The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1969 Cutlass Supreme 4 Door Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 05:45 AM

1969 Cutlass Supreme 4 Door Hardtop

I am a new member here and I am looking forward to it. I fell in love with this car the first time I saw it, I have a 1969 Cutlass Supreme 4 Door Hardtop with no posts,VIN # 342399M107579, that I have had since it was brand new. 350 CI, 310 HP, 3 Speed Turbo Hydra-matic, Nassau Blue. It has 98000 miles and I am trying to fix it up for my son. Unfortunately I let it go by sitting in the yard for the last 10 years with a cover on it and the cover leaked and the interior is ruined so I am having to take the dash apart to clean and fix rust plus all the fabric is ruined. Mechanically it is still pretty sound. I have the motor running and I am fixing the body rust.
I need some help.
1) I am curious and no matter where I look I can not find the production numbers on this model. I can find the coupes, 442, convertibles but not the 4 door hardtop. Anyone know?
2) The roof rail and door weatherstripping can be found at Steels but since it is so rare they are about $109 for each of the door sets and $149 for the roof rail which is about double or triple those for a 2 door hardtop. Any other sources?
3) It must be an early production as I have always had trouble matching up parts and must take the part in . For ex the books say the fuel pump is two line. It is a single line pump.
4) Any other thoughts as I get started?
Added
5) I should have mentioned this in the first place! DUH! I have been told that the 2 door hardtop roof rail weatherstrip is the same on the front end and can be cut off and sort of made to fit on the other end but I have not been able to confirm this.
6) I know the door weatherstrips that wrap around the door will not work but I have thought about the convertible door strips. If the molded ends were the same then I could cut in the middle and piece it together at the bottom of the door and at least get the front door weatherstripping that way. I could post pictures of the molded ends if needed. I have tried to find a car show locally where I could see one in person with no luck yet.

Sorry to be a pest here. I am an electrical engineer with some molding experience. So I know what I want and can get there with some help. Unemployed right now due to the wonderful economy so I am trying to do this with lots of my labor and the best prices I can find on parts so bear with me please!

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by haveoldcutlass; November 5th, 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: fixed VIN
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.

1) I don't have the numbers at work (now) but someone will respond.

2) Try JCWhitney, they may have what you need, lots of generic stuff, all you have to do is measure length, cross section width and height and get the right shape.

3) Same as no.1

4) Good luck, you will find lots of help on our site.

I moved your thread to the new members forum, you will get more welcome responses here and can always re-post your questions.
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Thanks. I was not sure where to post it since the rules for the New members forum said just to introduce yourself. The problem with the weatherstrip is it is all molded ends. I can find the shape. Maybe I need to find out if the weatherstripping can be heated and pressed into a new shape if I make a mold.
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. The problem with the pricing on parts, as you are finding out, is supply and demand. Less popular parts are typically more expensive due to the limited demand. The vendor needs to amortize tooling and manufacturing costs over a much smaller number of sales. I doubt you'll find much better prices elsewhere, but certainly check vendors like Metro and Lone Star.
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM

According to the Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile there were 8,714 Cutlass Supreme 4dr Holiday hardtops produced, body style 4239.
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Welcome to CO

Good luck in finding your parts. Its always a problem with orphan cars. Please post pictures of your car.
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by haveoldcutlass
VIN 342399M07579
Not that it matters a great deal since you've had this car since new and thus know everything there is to know about it, but this VIN is missing a digit. VIN's of this era should be 13 characters. I'm guessing you're missing a digit after the M as the serial numbers usually had six digits.

Sounds like a nice car. Too bad about the weather damage, but at least you're rescuing it now. The unusual-ness of the 4-door hardtop style is what makes it interesting. You'll see lots of coupes and convertibles at the car shows, but you'll rarely see one like yours, and people will stop and take a look.
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:37 PM

I'm a fellow 4 door owner!

Hi there,

Just wanted to tell ya I have a 4 door hard top as well.. love the old girl. She was parked in a field when I found her, and my stepdad and I did a garage restore on her in 2 winters.
Here is a pic 4 u. Nice 2 c another one!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1969 Cutlass with trophies.jpg (62.5 KB, 24 views)
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:45 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by CutlassCowgirl
Hi there,

Just wanted to tell ya I have a 4 door hard top as well.. love the old girl. She was parked in a field when I found her, and my stepdad and I did a garage restore on her in 2 winters.
Here is a pic 4 u. Nice 2 c another one!!!
Nice car !

Haveoldcutlass - 4 door or not , you have a expensive hobby I found this out the hard way . I love ALL makes of old muscle cars , but the problem has always been the money needed in order to get them fixed up nice .... and watch out for the MAWS !