The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1967 Delta 88 Newbie To the Site

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looks solid. Very nice.

- Eric
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Good-looking car. Good luck with it!
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:46 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Stumpy
Here are a few more pics of the NEW Michigan 1967 Delta 88
Welcome to the site Stumpy, great ride. The trunk is amazing, overall it looks real good. Looking forward to seeing it evolve into what u want her to be...Be safe.
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:53 AM

Looking for Rear Bumper @ Chrome Trunk Trim

Hello All, Well I'm in search of a rear bumper for the 67 Delmont 88. The one I have is OK, but is bent in a little on the rider side. I am also looking for some trunk trim. The chrome pc that goes along the edge is dented in as well. I know finding these may not be easy or even possible especially finding them in better shape then what I already have, but it don't really cost anything to ask and I could be surprised. I'm not working in the Delmont at this time but hope to start in the fall which is not that far off in the distance when thinking about how time has flown this year already. Anyway, if anyone knows of the wareabouts of these 2 items are please let me know, or anyplace for repoductions. Thanks Bill
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM

My suggestion is to keep a close eye on ebay. Body and trim pieces pop up not infrequently. You can set up ebay to send you an email each day with the newest additions to whatever search criteria you set up.

I have a '67 Delta, and I have ebay set up to send me whatever it finds under the search "1967 Oldsmobile -442 -Cutlass." I have nothing against 442s and Cutlasses, but this keeps the search results from being cluttered with items that are irrelevant to me. I've gotten a few nice pieces this way.

Here's an item now that might be what you're interested in for the trim piece below the trunk. It takes the award for outrageous price of the year, but, with some luck and some time, you might find what you're looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350330856837...84.m1423.l2649
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks Jaunty75 for the info on Ebay. I'll try to set up something in that order. Man, whoever has that trunk pc for sale must be out of their mind? If he/she gets that much out of the chrome pc we all should be able to get $50,000 for any of our cars. I can't believe that, but I guess if you don't have one you'll pay what you must, fortunatly for me, I have one of those and don't need that one.... The pc I need is much smaller on the 67 Delmont. If you look at the pics I posted of the Delmont and look at the thin chrome pc across the back of the trunk lid, thats the one I need. But, the car will never be a show car, so I don't really need it, it's just I nice streight pc would be nice after I get the restore done, but who knows, I may find something down the road. Thanks again.
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stumpy
Man, whoever has that trunk pc for sale must be out of their mind? If he/she gets that much out of the chrome pc we all should be able to get $50,000 for any of our cars.
The big question here is IF. I think it is highly unlikely he will sell that piece for that price. It's worth maybe $150 or $200 tops in my book. I think he'll be owning it for quite some time if he sticks to that asking price.
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:06 PM

How about this piece? Is this what you're looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

His price seems reasonable to me.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Jaunty75, thats what I'm looking for. THANKS A MILLION... I also asked about the back bumper on the one he's parting out, hope its in better shape then mine, I'll grab both items from him. Thanks again I appreciate the extra eyes looking out in this vast space. Bill
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Glad to hear it. I hope you are able to win the auction. Let us know what happens.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Be careful, there are 2 different lengths of that molding. One fits 4-dr and convertible models, the other (shorter one) is for 2-door only.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks fellas I will let you know and also Cooper thanks for the heads up on the difference. I'll be sure to ask what its coming off from.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:50 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Hey, Stumpy - after thinking twice about that I realized what I said about 2 lengths only applies to '68 Delmonts. The '67 is the same length for all models. On 67's it's actually only the 2 end pieces that wrap up over the tail lights which are different lengths between 2-dr and 4-dr/convertible. The center piece above the bumper is the same.
Sorry for the confusion.
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:02 AM

No worries Cooper. Thanks for the clearification thou, I'll try to remember that bit of info when looking at parts and pcs.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM

More work on the 67 Delta 88

Hello All. Here are a few pics of the recent work getting done. I have painted the door jams which don't look the greatest in the pics due to all the dust flying around, but they do look a little better in person then in the pics here, however, there is some touch-up needed to be done. Also, here is a couple pics of the windshield area. Got the windshield out and can now see why I had water leaking under the dash when it rained. A little metal patch work and we'll be ready to put the glass back in. I was going to just try some short hair fiberglass filler in this area, but the glass man said he didn't think that would hold up like a metal patch, so metal patch it is, that is unless someone else out here has a better idea? PLEASE let me know if you know of a better fix, I'm open for suggestions. I never would have guessed the dash would be that bad, but thats what you get when dealing with some old great cars. At 54 I'm not in the best condition either, so I'm willing to go the extra mile for this old girl. Then in 2 weeks I get the inside redone, then paint. I'm hoping by the end of Oct. all will be done. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0139.jpg (62.1 KB, 22 views)
DSCF0138.jpg (61.1 KB, 24 views)
DSCF0137.jpg (66.5 KB, 23 views)
DSCF0136.jpg (66.3 KB, 21 views)
DSCF0135.jpg (56.7 KB, 22 views)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:01 PM

Oh yeah, I'm still working on getting that trunk pc and a back bumper from the guy. He's going to send me some pics of the bumperand if looks better then what I have I'm going to try a package deal. I'll let ya know if it happens. Thanks again Bill
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Windshield Repair

Well, here is the start of the repair work on the dash. It's not done as I still have some filling to do. I decided to go about it a different way instead of the sheet metal I siliconed all the area which was bad filling it until I could not get anymore in the cracks. Let it harden up and then lay down some fiberglass. I sanded all the high spots back and now have to go in and I think I'm gonna fill the small areas in with short hair fiber glass filler. Just enough to keep the area as smooth as possible for the windshield to rest against. Not sure how much variance I can have so I think I'm calling the glass guy back to take a look before I go much farther. Weither it's right or wrong it's getting done. Thanks for looking. Bill
Attached Images
DSCF0140.jpg (72.9 KB, 21 views)
DSCF0141.jpg (65.7 KB, 21 views)
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. Looking good!
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:40 AM

Well here is the final finished frontal dash. Lighting in the garage is bad so these are not great pictures, but show what it is. I glassed it and then painted it and didn't like how it turned out. So I got a can of canned undercoating and sprayed over the paint. I don't really like that either but I'm done messing with it. The way I look at it, it's good enough for who its for...
The glass is going back in today and next week it goes over to the Mexican guys to do the interior. Man do them guys do good work, I was impressed with what I seen. I'm thinking about a dark maroon with black accents of some sort, but will let the guys doing the work help with the layout. Anyway, just thought I'd show ya how it turned out, not show quality, but it will not leak and it's solid. Thats about all you can ask for. Thanks for looking and I will send more pics of the inside when its done.
Attached Images
DSCF0144.jpg (45.5 KB, 15 views)
DSCF0145.jpg (38.5 KB, 17 views)
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:31 AM

I really didn't show the inside of the car before, but here it is now. I have it at "Stitch Alley Customs" now getting a total redo. I'm gonna keep the same design as the original seats, but will go with a Black vinyl outside with maroon pletes in the center with a center black center strip just to break it up. Sould have a update in about 3 weeks with the NEW interior. I will post a few as the guys start the gutting of the car. The dash will be changed to the color black before its completed as well. Thanks Bill
Attached Images
DSCF0148.jpg (54.1 KB, 16 views)
DSCF0149.jpg (53.7 KB, 16 views)
DSCF0150.jpg (57.8 KB, 22 views)
DSCF0151.jpg (62.6 KB, 15 views)
DSCF0152.jpg (63.7 KB, 16 views)
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:35 AM

So then, are you changing the color of the door panels as well?
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated! It's good to see the progress.
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Yes Sir, the door panels are going to be changed as well. On the bottom will be black carpet and the vinyl around the outside of the door where you see the blue vinyl now will be black and then in the center will be the maroon fabric. I think this will break up the colors enough to where it's not going to be to much and of one over the other?? I'm hoping anyway, in my own minds eye I think it will look ok. These guys are doing a TOTALLY NEW interior from top to bottom. New Headliner, Back deck, Door Panels, Carpet and Seats. I was impressed by how much I am getting done for the price. I think its a good deal because I had a guy quote me a price for just the door panels and seats for the same price I'm paying these guys to do the whole car. Anyway, here are a few pics of the progress so far. As can be seen by the 1st picture, I discovered a little more rust then thought. Not bad for 45 years old, but have a little metal work to do before the guys lay down carpet, maybe FridayI'll get over there and take care of the holes. Thanks again for looking.
Attached Images
DSCF0001.jpg (81.5 KB, 18 views)
DSCF0002.jpg (76.2 KB, 20 views)
DSCF0003.jpg (71.4 KB, 21 views)
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM

So, when am I going to run into you at a W. Mi car show? It seems, as I recall, that you were in my neck of the woods.
Old August 17th, 2012, 01:49 PM

In Holland about 20 - 25 miles from you in Muskegon. I would hope this next year we could meet up sometime, as I don't have anything done right yet, but its getting very close. After the inside is done, then I'm ordering the paint to get this bugger painted. I still have a few things to do to it, like the manifold(s) is/are leaking some and want to get that taken care of before driving it to far. I want to undercoat the whole under body to help preserve it as much as possible, and I think I need some new coil springs, so I don't know when I will make it to a show this year or not. Next year for sure. We can always meet someplace for Coffee/Tea Lunch some weekend if ya want. Just let me know when and where. Thanks again Bill
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Sounds good, running out of car shows in the area for this year, going to Flint tomorrow, there will be a show at the Gilmore in Sept. that I will be going to, and the Labor Day show here which attracts 500 plus cars. Sold my '71, but that won't keep me from the car venue's. Don't know yet if i will be going to the 28th St. cruise, my buddy got an invite, and a place to park his Olds over there, might tag a long if he doesn't mind
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM

I doubt I will make any shows this year with the Delta 88, but you can be sure I'll make it next year to a few with the ole girl. However, here are a few more pics of the patch work on the floorboard. I was not totally shocked to see some rust holes in the floor, but it could have been worst. The rust was not super bad but did need some small patch work, so here's the results. Again it's not a professional job, but good enough for who its for. After fixing with tin, pop rivets and roofing cement I went over the edges after drying with silicone. After all the dried over night I sprayed the whole area with undercoating. After the interior is completed I'm gonna take it over to my friends place and get it ready for paint. Also, before paint I'm gonna put it up on the hoist and undercoat the whole under belly of the car. She should be good and sealed up tight and with a little luck no leaks anyplace. I hope Monday I can post at least one picture of the backseat which is done in the color's I wanted. I think when the whole interior is done it will come together nicely. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
DSCF0004.jpg (65.2 KB, 17 views)
DSCF0005.jpg (74.7 KB, 17 views)
DSCF0007.jpg (70.1 KB, 18 views)
DSCF0008.jpg (94.2 KB, 17 views)
DSCF0006.jpg (43.5 KB, 17 views)
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Registered Luser

Looks great so far, glad to see a four door getting some love...the only thing I might worry about is the undercoat on top of the dash. It will get very hot up there in the sun! That stuff likes to soften and get messy in extreme heat....
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM

I'll keep an eye on that and to be honest I never thought about that. It's been setting in the direct sun the past week and no problems yet, however, it's not been hot like in July but it has been closed up. If it does start coming loose or up, then I guess it's back to scrapping and sanding again. But thanks for the heads up. Thanks Bill.

Last edited by Stumpy; August 20th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Welcome Stumpy, I have a couple of 1967's but their 98 LS's. The 88's & 98's are rare especially at Olds meets. I'm not a numbers/parts correct guy so I used Ford red on my engine. One piece of advice, don't plan on making any $ if you sell them. I call my cars my " moneypits." Later, Ken
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:44 AM

No worries Ken, the plan is NOT to sell them but to keep them until I can't care for them anymore. If I do anything, I may even donate one or both to the nearest car museum that don't have a 67 Delta and Delmont. Like anything else I do and that is, I never plan on making money on anything I do. I don't have that kind of luck, so that is why I plan on keeping the old cars for a very long time. Thanks Again. Bill
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM

Well here is a picture of the rear seat setting in the garage with the color combo I went with. It's not really that purple/pinkish, it's more maroon in person, at least I hope it is at least when I get it in the sun it looks more Maroon. I think when done it's gonna come together very nice. At least it will be good enough for who its for.... )
Attached Images
tn[3].jpg (3.1 KB, 14 views)
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Well here is a few pics of the new interior of the Delta 88. I am very pleased with the out come. I think with the black walnut cherry body, this should set that interior off. Thanks for looking. Oh yeah, I got started on the Delmont 88 2 door and will post some pics of that soon as well.
Attached Images
DSCF0011.jpg (56.7 KB, 15 views)
DSCF0012.jpg (67.3 KB, 12 views)
DSCF0014.jpg (68.3 KB, 14 views)
DSCF0015.jpg (50.4 KB, 11 views)
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Looking good!
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:09 PM

New paint

Well here is the end result. Black Cherry Pearl paint. It looks black ata angle but when you get close it changes to a different color. Lucky enough I think the inside goes well with the outside. I was expecting darker paint because the paint chip they sent didn't look nothing like this color that ended up on the car. Summits paint chips didn't do justice for what I got, but I am still pleased with the outcome reguardless. I just wish I knew it was this color I would have rodered a small amount and done the door jams the same, but they can still be done. Just more work I was not expecting.Still have to put the chrome back on around the windows and spit shine the bumpers and stuff, but it will have to wait till I get back from California. Anyway here are a few pics. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
DSCF0016.jpg (69.3 KB, 26 views)
DSCF0017.jpg (77.5 KB, 25 views)
DSCF0018.jpg (64.8 KB, 29 views)
DSCF0019.jpg (65.1 KB, 29 views)
DSCF0020.jpg (58.3 KB, 26 views)
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM

It looks great!
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM

A good looking color, should have brought it to the Gilmore show today.
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:10 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate the props. I just got it home yesterday morning and have not had time to put the chrome back on around the windows nor the windshield wipers back on yet. Still have a little polishing to do on all the chrome but it will all get there in time. I got a few dust bunnies in the clear coat because the guy didn't clean he clean room real good. The service door shut hard with the wind and down came the dust bunnies. So a little work and elbow grease should take care of them. But like I said, it's not a show queen but a driver. She still has some imperfections, but that gives her character. Here are a few pics of what I started with and what I have now. Gotta love all that Detroit Iron. Thanks again guys.
Attached Images
1967 Olds Delta 88.jpg (104.2 KB, 22 views)
DSCF0025.jpg (100.4 KB, 20 views)
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Exhaust Manifold Bolts/Studs

Anyone know where I can buy NEW Bolts/Studs for my 425? I am going to change it over to dual exhaust and put new maifolds on it. The problem is I can't seem to find anyone that carries NEW Bolts/Studs. Help anyone.

Thanks
Bill
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:33 PM

EMB65 Exhaust Manifold Bolt:
1965-75 All models,

10 used per car. 1.50 ea. From the Fusick B/C catalog. (860) 623-1589

Quick Reply: 1967 Delta 88 Newbie To the Site