The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1958 Super 88 2 Door project from Australia

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2013, 07:26 AM

1958 Super 88 2 Door project from Australia

Hi guys, thanks for having me on board.

My name is Grant, Im 37 and this is the 3rd Oldsmobile I have owned. The first two were a pair of 37 4 door sedans. One has been garaged since 1971 and the other was supplied as a parts car for the garaged one. Here in Australiam they are a rare car, and the parts car was too complete to be stripped for parts, so I made a ratrod out of it. I used an LS1 and automatic 4L60E gearbox from a 2001 Model Holden (GM). To liven it up I added a bottle of nitrous and the trunk houses two converted beer kegs. The left side being for water and the right for fuel. The car got an 8 inch roof chop and was channeled 5 inches. I lowered the car by 2 inches, did a disc brake conversion on the front (using the 2001 Holden as a donor again) and power steering conversion (using a steering rack from a car called a Holden Camira over here). A mate and I built the car in 6 months and at its debut show, won best 4 door hotrod.

The other 37 Olds awaits a freshen up. It requires new paint and interior, but will remain original save the engine. The reason for the engine swap is I am wheelchair bound (technically I am classed as quadriplegic but still have most of the use of both of my hands) and can only drive automatic cars.

Prior to building the rat rod 37, I built a 1968 Mercedes over a period of 4 years. Tired of the underpowered 6 cylinder Mercedes motor in it, I build and shoehorned a twin turbo chevy ZZ4 motor into it. The car was a ground up rebuild, with V8 disc brake and Camira power steering conversion, custom boot fitout with big stereo, I added a sunroof (an option for that model Mercedes) and restored everything along the way. The mercedes was all my own work, I did all the mechanical, fabrication and restoration work myself. the only thing I couldnt do myself was the painting. It has won multiple awards at many car shows here in Australia.

I came across the 58 Super 88 last week. It is a car I have been searching high and low for years here. Externally, the body has a lot of surface rust, the floor pans are completely rusted out (I have a full set of weld ins that came with the car), the original motor and trans is still in it and it comes with a few spare bits and pieces. I plan to do a full restoration of this car as it truly deserves it. It was imported into Australia by an enthusiast who actually brought 2 in, built one and sold the other. I paid $3000 for it but to me its worth every cent. I only know of one other in Australia so I know this is something truly unique here. Combine that with the prestige and luxury that the car offers and I consider myself one of the luckiest car owners in Australia.

The parts car / ratrod the day I recieved it

The ratrod finished

The garaged 37 Olds

The Mercedes

And last but by no means least, the 58 Olds

Im also chasing a workshop manual for the 58 Olds. If anyone knows where I can download one please let me know, I would be most grateful. I know I can order one on ebay, but given the price of the parts and freight of the 58 coupe parts, every dollar I can save REALLY helps.

Many thanks guys

Grant
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome, nice projects.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Hey mate, I have the shop manual and body\ chassis catalog in pdf. I also live in perth wa. And as it turns out I have the other 58 olds you mention.!
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:09 AM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!