The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1954 88

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2021, 08:11 PM

1954 88

Hi all. I just inherited my dad's 1954 Olds 88 we build when I was in high school. It's got the front clip and running gear out of a 1979 98. He has driven it cross country a couple of times. I have a few electrical gremlins to work out.

Old February 9th, 2021, 08:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome and very nice car. How about a few more pictures of it.
Old February 9th, 2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Welcome and very nice car. How about a few more pictures of it.
Currently, that is the only one I have. It's still at my parent's house but, once I get it to mine I will be snapping tons of pics. so many you guys will get tired of seeing them.
Old February 9th, 2021, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, awesome car. Look forward to more pics.
Old February 10th, 2021, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tango88
It's got the front clip and running gear out of a 1979 98.
I don't think you mean "front clip," do you? "Front clip" usually refers to the entire front end of the car, including the fenders, hood, bumpers, etc. You didn't put the front end of a '79 98 onto a '54 Olds I don't think. Maybe you mean the "running gear." Did you put the engine, brakes, etc. from a '79 98 into the car?
Old February 10th, 2021, 01:35 PM

We cut the frame of the 54 and the 98 at the firewall and put the front section of the 98 onto the 54. My dad wanted disk brakes and power steering.
Old February 10th, 2021, 01:41 PM

But it still has the 1954 exterior pieces, right? Fenders, hood, bumper, grille, headlights? Technically you did not replace the front clip. You replaced a portion of the frame and part of the running gear. What about the engine? Is it the original, or did you put the 1979 engine in?

I realize there's no "official" definition of "front clip," just a commonly-accepted one.

Old February 10th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

For years street rodders have been installing Camaro front suspensions under old Fords, Chevies and pickup trucks. The term Camaro clip has nothing to do with sheet metal and widely recognized in the street rod industry. Installing a Camaro clip provides independent front suspension, disk brakes, power steering and motor mounts for a SBC. In this case the owner used an Oldsmobile clip and accomplished the same thing. At least he didn't put a Camaro clip and SBC under his Oldsmobile.
Old February 10th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But it still has the 1954 exterior pieces, right? Fenders, hood, bumper, grille, headlights? Technically you did not replace the front clip. You replaced a portion of the frame and part of the running gear. What about the engine? Is it the original, or did you put the 1979 engine in?

I realize there's no "official" definition of "front clip," just a commonly-accepted one.

Man I didn't mean to set you off. I know the picture is small but you can clearly see the body is all 54. redoldsman said it best. Even though I have had thoughts about putting a 6.2 LS under the hood.
Old February 10th, 2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tango88
Man I didn't mean to set you off. I know the picture is small but you can clearly see the body is all 54.
You haven't "set off" anything. I was just trying to get an understanding of the term "front clip."

Yes, I can see that it is likely the front end of a '54, but who can be sure of anything about the front end in that photo? You could have stuck the '98's grille on there for all we know.

Old February 10th, 2021, 04:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jaunty you are doing what you usually do and try and **** a new member off. Hopefully you didn't succeed.
Old February 10th, 2021, 04:54 PM

I've done no such thing, and I'd love to know who died and left you in charge.
Old February 10th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Just my observation. Hopefully nobody has died and I am not in charge and never want to be in charge.
Old February 10th, 2021, 05:01 PM

I am not in charge and never want to be in charge.
Then stop acting like you are.
Old February 10th, 2021, 07:01 PM
Bfg

I would like to have ring side seat if I may.
Old February 10th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Banned

I will comment on the car. Cool car. Cool father son story. I bet you are excited. Welcome to the site.
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Tango, ignore the bickering, they really love each other. Good looking classic Olds you have there and I commend you and your father on grafting the newer front frame section on. We look forward to more pictures when you are able.
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I will comment on the car. Cool car. Cool father son story. I bet you are excited. Welcome to the site.
Thank you.
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:39 AM

Welcome aboard, there's a good bunch of guys here that know the mid fifties Oldsmobile's well any issue you may encounter generally a solution can be found here. Most have been there and done that at sometime either recently or in the past. Feel free to ask. and many of the mid fifties guys hang around the Vintage forum but most always any forum that pertains to your problem will get a answer.... Nice ride.... Tedd
Old February 11th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There is no love loss and I am not going to get into bickering. I just want the new member to feel welcome and am anxious to see more pictures of the car. We just don't see very many mid 50's Oldsmobiles that are street rodded. This one is tastefully done and they updated it with Oldsmobile suspension and drive line. It looks like a really fun car.
Old February 11th, 2021, 03:23 PM

Good looking 54. Bonus points if it is an Olds engine. By the way, I've always referred to a non-stock front frame section as a clip.

Last edited by okie88; February 11th, 2021 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 12th, 2021, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by okie88
Good looking 54. Bonus points if it is an Olds engine. By the way, I've always referred to a non-stock front frame section as a clip.
It has a 403 out of the 79 that donated the front frame section (Because I can't call it a clip)...
Old February 12th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard, there's a good bunch of guys here that know the mid fifties Oldsmobile's well any issue you may encounter generally a solution can be found here. Most have been there and done that at sometime either recently or in the past. Feel free to ask. and many of the mid fifties guys hang around the Vintage forum but most always any forum that pertains to your problem will get a answer.... Nice ride.... Tedd
Only 2 "Problems" no brake lights and fuel gauge doesn't work (Never has). I may end up putting an Autometer fuel gauge in. My Dad was very good at writing down the mileage when he filled up and keeping track of the mileage so he didn't run out of gas. I am not that good at tracking things.
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:00 PM

Really my biggest worry is I may not be able to get it in the garage. That would mean selling the house and moving or building a separate 3 car garage with a turntable and a lift. I got "THE LOOK" from the wife when I told her that. LMAO
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Certainly there is no rule here that says you can't call the front end suspension a clip. Go ahead on.
I wonder if the brake lights were ever hooked up after the clip was installed. You probably now have a swinging pedal with the master cylinder mounted on the firewall. If you don't have a brake light switch installed you will need to fabricate a bracket and mount a switch. The connector for the original switch should be under the dash near the steering column. I believe the two wires are orange and white. Jump those together and see if you have brake lights. I think the brake lights are on the same circuit as the interior lights so if they are working the fuse should be good. The fuel gage is probably a sending unit. They are available from Fusick Automotive. Make sure the tank has a good ground. After that take the wire off the sending unit which will probably require dropping the tank. Jump it to ground and it should move to one side and take it loose and it should move to the other side. If it does that the gauge and the wiring is good. Tell your wife it was your dad's car and you can't leave it outside.
Old February 12th, 2021, 09:12 PM

Certainly there is no rule here that says you can't call the front end suspension a clip. Go ahead on.
I wonder if the brake lights were ever hooked up after the clip was installed. You probably now have a swinging pedal with the master cylinder mounted on the firewall. If you don't have a brake light switch installed you will need to fabricate a bracket and mount a switch. The connector for the original switch should be under the dash near the steering column. I believe the two wires are orange and white. Jump those together and see if you have brake lights. I think the brake lights are on the same circuit as the interior lights so if they are working the fuse should be good. The fuel gage is probably a sending unit. They are available from Fusick Automotive. Make sure the tank has a good ground. After that take the wire off the sending unit which will probably require dropping the tank. Jump it to ground and it should move to one side and take it loose and it should move to the other side. If it does that the gauge and the wiring is good. Tell your wife it was your dad's car and you can't leave it outside.
Lights all worked for years. So I am really worried about that one. The gas gauge has never worked. So I think you are right on track with the sending unit. I had planned to drop the tank and fart around with it. Thanks for the pointers.
Old February 12th, 2021, 09:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Trace the orange and white wires under the dash. They were probably spliced onto a new connector and that could be the problem. The wiring in these old cars gets pretty fragile after 67 years and with lots of splices in it.
Old February 13th, 2021, 08:19 AM

And the ground coming off the gas tank is a clamp attached to the metal gas line. I would check it first as these were a problem from the beginning and add 67 years and corrosion and the fact that you are probably not using the original fuel pump plus there is a rubber splice in there somewhere from the frame engine conversion you have no ground. (sorry for the run on sentence) Just a thought though long winded. I would ground the tank to the frame and bypass all the grief Oldsmobile gave us.... Tedd
Old February 15th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Jeff

Nice car!

Ignore the noise, someone was a dick to my Dad on one of his first posts, and I don't think I've seen Dad post back in here since. The "correction" wasn't even relevant to the conversation, just as the "correction" above also was not relevant, nor warranted.

Old March 23rd, 2021, 06:10 PM

I was able to snap a few quick photos last weekend.

https://ibb.co/rmRQpKc
Old March 23rd, 2021, 08:43 PM

Love the colour and the flames, a great looking car. Enjoy.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 09:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice. I like this car better every time I view this thread.
Old March 24th, 2021, 12:00 PM

That's a nice thing that your dad left for you! My dad left me with an appreciation for vintage automobiles and enough mechanical knowledge to get myself into all kinds of trouble. I've built a couple of 30's Fords and had a variety of other pre 60's cars and trucks. I've gotten a new love of GM cars and now have a 55 Olds Super 88 and a 42 Buick custom. Welcome to the Oldsmobile hangout!
Old March 24th, 2021, 05:06 PM

Please don't look at how dusty it is. As you can see it currently lives out in the country.

I do know I am changing the shifter. My dad put in a ratch shifter. I don't know why but that sucker is a PITA. I will be replacing it with a Lokar detent I am still deciding on that **** I want for it though.

I will flood the forum with all sorts of photos once I get it all cleaned and polished.