Miscellaneous Classifieds Please read forum guidelines before posting.This forum is specifically for tools, reference material, memorabilia, or anything that is not a vehicle or parts.

WTB 1972 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual wanted

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2020, 11:51 AM

WTB 1972 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual wanted

Wanting to find a original print 1972 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual in above average condition.

Dan
Old April 28th, 2020, 01:05 PM

Check ebay, right now there are 6-8 originals for about $50-$60
Old April 28th, 2020, 07:11 PM

Try also Books 4 Cars, books4cars.com
Old June 3rd, 2020, 04:35 PM

Just putting this out there as an FYI... I ordered a 1972 Chassis Service Manual from "Classic Automotive Repair Shop & Restoration Manuals on Amazon.

Looking at some search thread tools here on the forum I thought it would be best to find an original. I will keep my open for one after receiving my original pop offs today.

Don't get me wrong it looks like a nice new 2-volume set (although when I made the decision for the purchase it claimed to be both volumes in one book) not sure how OEM's were available or distributed? (Advise here would be good so I know why I am on the hunt for)

The thing that stands out to me upon initial inspection would be the print density of text ,vs illustration density or clarity , in that the text is nice and bold but seems to me the process of scanning and or copying left the illustration details much lighter in density and in some cases hard to see with my 57 year old eye *****.

Like I said at the start of my reply I am happy to have all the info just letting you all know my experience that may help with your decision process.

Total cost to my door in good shape 80bucks (Oh and the grammar spelling police get off my *** OSHA says only one person at a time is allowed to ride it and I GOT a line forming)

Cheers

Keith
Old June 3rd, 2020, 04:59 PM

You want an original. They're easy to find on ebay in good condition. I bought a reprint of a manual once ('67), and the copy quality was excellent. But there was one major flaw that I never thought of ahead of time and found out only after I got the manual home and looked through it. Everything was copied in black-and-white, including the wiring diagrams. Those are in color in the original manuals for a reason, and in black-and-white they're pretty much useless.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 05:48 PM

Ok thanks jaunty75. don't get me wrong here but... Looking for one in person at flea markets , garage sales, swap meets, car shows, etc and so will keep me out of the taverns... old school
Old June 3rd, 2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You want an original. They're easy to find on ebay in good condition. I bought a reprint of a manual once ('67), and the copy quality was excellent. But there was one major flaw that I never thought of ahead of time and found out only after I got the manual home and looked through it. Everything was copied in black-and-white, including the wiring diagrams. Those are in color in the original manuals for a reason, and in black-and-white they're pretty much useless.
Hey jaunty75 I looked at some of the wiring diagrams and even though color is not illustrated in color(black and white)... in some cases the color of the wire is written in text. In my opinion very much worth the money.

Cheers....All Hope the info is useful

Also in the industry of hooking **** up to power... trust but verify... color don't always mean it's gospel working metering instruments do.

Just saying.....

Last edited by otto72; June 3rd, 2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old June 15th, 2020, 06:24 AM
It's a Cutlass.

Not sure this is what you want/need, pay for shipping, it's yours.

It's all black and white though.

Last edited by jeff in colorado; June 15th, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old June 19th, 2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by jeff in colorado
Not sure this is what you want/need, pay for shipping, it's yours.

Thanks to Jeff I have a copy of the Fis
her Body Manual on the way for the cost of shipping it to me. This gives me a heart felt meaning to Jeff and the group as well. Thanks Jeff for your attention to the post and making the effort to help an Olds Brother, I truly appreciate it and cudo's for being selfless. I hope I can return the gesture to the next one looking for some support...

Keith

It's all black and white though.

Last edited by otto72; June 19th, 2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spell check