Miscellaneous Classifieds Please read forum guidelines before posting.This forum is specifically for tools, reference material, memorabilia, or anything that is not a vehicle or parts.

Oldsmobile vintage bumper sticker

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2020, 05:13 PM

Oldsmobile vintage bumper sticker

Anyone remember these?pulled them from the garage show signs of age but a nice collectable my dad said might be from the 70's gas crunch era $12 each shipped in usa accept paypal

Last edited by jopa; June 26th, 2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old June 18th, 2020, 10:47 PM

Looks like a nice touch for a drag car!
Old June 18th, 2020, 10:48 PM

My God, there was social shaming even back then!
Old June 19th, 2020, 07:06 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Koda

lol good one
Old June 19th, 2020, 11:56 AM
Bfg

I believe that was the Carter Administration, I never eased off my gas pedal!
Old June 19th, 2020, 04:54 PM

no this is the last I found in garage
Old June 26th, 2020, 01:15 PM

Do you think they will still adhere if applied?
Old June 26th, 2020, 01:29 PM

I pulled one back and it is still sticky so I would guess yes but they are at least 40 years old.
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:37 PM

new price
Old January 9th, 2021, 08:36 PM

Interesting. Wonder what the 50 MPH refers to, possibly a particular state's secondary highways? The National Maximum Speed Limit Act of 1974 set 55 MPH for all Interstate Highways. The law was a flop. It only added tremendously to state coffers by the way of frivolous 'speeding' tickets and gave state troopers unlimited overtime trying to enforce a 'fuel saving' 55-mph speed limit. Unfortunately, some state transportation department officials still think 55-MPH was set for safety, and use the 55-MPH speed limit as a bench mark for setting speed limits - resulting in speed limits set too low for the roadway and creating revenue generating speed traps.
Old January 10th, 2021, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Interesting. Wonder what the 50 MPH refers to, possibly a particular state's secondary highways? The National Maximum Speed Limit Act of 1974 set 55 MPH for all Interstate Highways.
That's exactly my recollection. I don't remember there ever being a national speed limit of 50 mph.

The history of the 55 mph speed limit is interesting. It was actually on the books until 1995, but it was relaxed in the late 1980s to allow the speed limit on "rural" interstates to be raised. Many states had already stopped enforcing it or enforcing it with so little penalty ($15 fine) that it became meaningless. I remember what a shock it was to be driving on I-90 or I-71 in Ohio in the late '80s and suddenly see a 65 mph limit sign after so many years of 55.
Old January 10th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Oldsdruid

Unfortunately, some state transportation department officials still think 55-MPH was set for safety, and use the 55-MPH speed limit as a bench mark for setting speed limits - resulting in speed limits set too low for the roadway and creating revenue generating speed traps.
A lot of these transportation planners were in diapers or not even born when that fraudulent (yes I said it) oil crisis hit. They never knew anything else and the cars they grew up with were designed for that nonsense speed restriction.

No coincidence that someone realized they could use it to generate revenue. Local guvminks in VA are limited by law as to how much of their budget can be generated by traffic fines and every one of them has a line item calculated to 3% of their proposed year's budget. A few have gotten their hands smacked over it when the state auditors reviewed things.

VA has MPO's- Metropolitan Planning Organizations. Around 1998 the local one got it in their heads they wanted to extend a 45mph limit almost 10 miles past the city limits into the surrounding county- over 1/3 of the way to the next town. Two reasons- one of them was dreaming of annexing that corridor and creating some heavy development along it which sensible people knew would never happen because it was and is all farms and residential, and another was figuring millions of dollars in traffic fine revenue to pay for it.

It's sad and disgusting, but that's the way people in such positions think.
Old January 10th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Koda
And as a longhaired leadfoot teenager with a fast Oldsmobile I got more than my share. I liked feeling that 425 wind out in a lighter car than it was designed for, and had no reservations asking some neener what business was it of theirs what I drove and how fast I drove it.

Get rid of the damn neeners and the world would largely straighten itself out! But some people think it's their divine right to tell the rest of us how to live, think, and believe.
Old January 12th, 2021, 06:24 PM

Agree with rocketraider and jaunty75. I am still trying to get the state Transportation Department raise the speed limit on a section of I-80 from the 'fuel saving' 55-MPH to at least 60-MPH. The reply so far has been for elected officials and the Transportation Department to deem this same section of I-80 a 'Safety Corridor', with DOUBLED fines for ALL violations. The speed limit was 60-MPH prior to the 'fuel saving' National Maximum Speed Limit Act of 1974, and up to 70-MPH in other sections.

Last edited by anthonyP; September 23rd, 2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old January 12th, 2021, 07:39 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by anthonyP
The reply so far has been for elected officials and the Transportation Department to deem this same section of I-80 a 'Safety Corridor', with DOUBLED fines for ALL violations.
BINGO! Once these buffoons get a taste of revenue you can't wean them off it.

Tell 'em that's fine, but you expect to see them use their revenue wisely and get the roads in top shape. And if they don't, tell 'em you'll work to unseat them. Nothing strikes fear in a politician like the prospect of losing their seat! Useless bastiges...
Old January 12th, 2021, 08:40 PM

Before the gasoline tax was raised 28 cents a gallon, a call to have an independent audit conducted to determined where the gasoline tax that supplied the roadway fund for the past 50-years was spent went unanswered - politicians were simply claiming the additional taxes were needed because the roads were in disrepair and the bridges were ready to collapse. After the gasoline tax increase, an audit found $6 billion was being quietly transferred from the roadway fund to the state police pension fund. When publicly disclosed, instead of determining why the pension fund was so high and how to reduce it, politicians simply said an additional $6 billion would be taken from the general fund every year to pay for the ever increasing state police pension fund.
Old January 12th, 2021, 09:53 PM
Oldsdruid

I'm tellin' ya, ya can't wean 'em! Maybe you can borrow a mama cat from somewhere and turn her loose in the statehouse- a mama cat will smack hell out of kittens who keep trying to nurse.

Last edited by rocketraider; January 12th, 2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old January 13th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jopa
new price
I put one of these on to give some character to a rusty bumper that will one day be replaced. The sticker adheres fine and has stayed on through a rainy PNW fall / winter. Thanks again!

Old September 23rd, 2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BrawnyMan
I put one of these on to give some character to a rusty bumper that will one day be replaced. The sticker adheres fine and has stayed on through a rainy PNW fall / winter. Thanks again!

That must get a lot of second glances from passersby.