Miscellaneous Classifieds Please read forum guidelines before posting.This forum is specifically for tools, reference material, memorabilia, or anything that is not a vehicle or parts.

Enclosed Car Trailer Wanted

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2020, 02:03 PM

Enclosed Car Trailer Wanted

Looking for a used enclosed car trailer. Must be at least 20' long and in like new condition. Want to see if I can get a good deal on a used one before I spring for a new one.

Thanks,
Old April 20th, 2020, 11:36 AM

Trailer Found and Purchased

. Not like there was any traffic on this thread but just thought I would give an update.
Old April 20th, 2020, 12:46 PM

Try Racing Junk website
Old April 20th, 2020, 11:50 PM

Let's see a picture at your convenience, Rick, please. Do you like it?
Old April 21st, 2020, 07:38 AM

Escape door...nice!

Those long lines are not scratches, just reflections

Brand new Goodyear tires

Bonus door/ramp for motorcycles/ATVs

Plenty or grease on all the bearings. Brakes had no linings left.....completetly destroyed. I bought 4-new brake kits that included the backing plate with everythng already assembled and hubs.

This is why easy lube axles are not always a great idea. Seller said he always kept up on maintaining grease in axles. Obviously if he would have had to pull the hubs off he would have noticed the brakes were missing!!

More brake destruction

Needs a little claening and paint. No water leaks so far.

Will make for some nice overflow storage....

All in all I'm happy witth the purchase. Paid $4k for the trailer and another $950 for brakes, hubs, battery and break away switch. It will be used sparingly so it should last as long as I'm around.
Old April 21st, 2020, 02:20 PM

Great info! I may steal that no tread shoe picture. Wow.

Thanks, I want something similar one day.
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:00 PM
Running On Empty

Nice trailer. I almost purchased one exactly the same type some years ago. So, the wheels roll well, the brakes - what brakes. Yowser.
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Great info! I may steal that no tread shoe picture. Wow.

Thanks, I want something similar one day.
You're welcome. Unless you're using it for business or you're a serious racer, I would look into a used one. Let someone else take the depriciation hit. Mine will be used more for storage than hauling. The pics really don't do the carnage justice. Feel free to share!

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Nice trailer. I almost purchased one exactly the same type some years ago. So, the wheels roll well, the brakes - what brakes. Yowser.
Ha ha, you've got that right. I didn't take the time to synch up my truck to the trailer before I hauled this thing back home. I was hoping to find that the shoes just needed replaced. I was sadly mistaken. Oh well, at least I know everything is fresh and good for many miles to come.

Found what was left of this shoe in one of the drums

Old April 21st, 2020, 04:54 PM
Running On Empty

I was wondering about that - hooking (syncing) up your truck brake controller. You probably didn’t have far to run or were pretty much straight-lining it because had you done any hard stops or downhills you would have surely known there weren’t any brakes in that baby. That’s kinda funny. I’m sure your truck brake controller thanks you. Good on you getting everything up to snuff - such a better feeling!
Old April 23rd, 2020, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I was wondering about that - hooking (syncing) up your truck brake controller. You probably didn’t have far to run or were pretty much straight-lining it because had you done any hard stops or downhills you would have surely known there weren’t any brakes in that baby. That’s kinda funny. I’m sure your truck brake controller thanks you. Good on you getting everything up to snuff - such a better feeling!
It was a 150 mile return trip home. My GPS took me down some back-country, one lane roads that were a little nerve racking to navigate. It was a beautiful day so I took it easy and enjoyed the sceniery.
Yep, I feel pretty good about replacing everything and knowing that it's acually road-worthy now. Still need to load the Olds in it to make sure there's no clearence issues getting it up the ramp.
Old April 24th, 2020, 11:42 AM

What year is your trailer?
Ive been looking here in Michigan, and most 20-24 foot trailers for sale are in the 14-20 years old and asking 7-12K. Seems excessive to me?
Old April 24th, 2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
What year is your trailer?
Ive been looking here in Michigan, and most 20-24 foot trailers for sale are in the 14-20 years old and asking 7-12K. Seems excessive to me?
It's a 2003. I did a lot of looking and nobody is giving these thing away, at least not anywhere close to me. Especially ones that have the side escape door. Even with the brake issues on mine, I feel I got a decent deal.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 12:05 PM

Finally had a chance to load up the car. It's tight and makes your butt pucker a little gettting it in there, but it fits. I'm going to install a couple of 2" x12" boards on the floor to raise the car up a bit. That should be enough to clear the side door jamb and let the doort open wider.

Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:15 PM

Nice fit. A mirror and tire track paint lines may help the butt pucker. Also, putting boards just where you want the wheels finally would help you know to stop, even with a curb on the front two as well.
Old May 4th, 2020, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Nice fit. A mirror and tire track paint lines may help the butt pucker. Also, putting boards just where you want the wheels finally would help you know to stop, even with a curb on the front two as well.
All great ideas. I will put them on the to do list. Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2020, 05:21 AM

Nice i need a 24' but have not seen a used trailer below $7k.