Sebring Yellow '70 442: go for it or let it go?

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Thumbs up

Looks excellent - nice work.

It appears that the car is sitting high. Did you torque the control arm bolts?

Unless the drivetrain is in, and the car sitting is on the ground, torquing the bolts will have it sit high.
Old April 11th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by My442
Looks excellent - nice work.

It appears that the car is sitting high. Did you torque the control arm bolts?

Unless the drivetrain is in, and the car sitting is on the ground, torquing the bolts will have it sit high.
It's riding really high right now as we haven't worked the suspension at all and there is literally noting in it save engine and trans up front. I have to get new shocks as well, so this is super loose at this point. Although paint and bodywork is done, there is so much to do yet it's not funny. Hope to get a big chunk of wiring done this weekend, so we'll see.
Old April 12th, 2018, 05:42 AM

Almost set to come back!

Old August 7th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Ok, so good thing I didn't let this go. Posted in General area that I found the build sheet while removing covers from front notch bench seat. It was in the seat back upper springs! Having documentation is really great(how does it really affect value would be nice to hear thoughts). I did see some interesting things: 1. I have about four options that weren't part of original build- W25 hood, sport steering wheel, sport mirrors(more in a minute on that), and SSII's. The sport mirrors were originally ordered, but crossed out on build sheet for D33 deluxe mirrors...any additional thoughts as to why? This also explains why sport mirrors I have are incorrect, and I need to get '70 specific ones. Car came to me w/drum front brakes, and need to change to discs per build. Also had U35 clock and A90 electric trunk release. Lastly, what's the "9448" written on the build sheet? Anyone see anything else unique or odd I missed? Here are photos of wheel trim on and caps with test fit of carb/air cleaner/upper OAI assembly. Along with resto I now have the obsession of locating the dealer info in NC as well as as much as I can on any previous owners. More updates to comes soon! Thanks everyone.

P.S. If anyone has the order sheet for '70 options and base price I would love it. Looking to see what original MSRP was on the car.

Old August 7th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Old School Olds

I have the build sheet for my 70 442 W-25 Fremont built car I could post if you would like to see it.
I don't have the window sticker that would have the price for the car though.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:27 PM

Acquired set of '70 sport mirrors as the incorrect set was bothering me...off to refinish and paint! New door gaskets as well.

Old August 24th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Awesome work so far!! Love the color now after repaint and those stripes really stand out
Old August 25th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Looks good !!!!!!! Love the color combo!!!!
Old August 31st, 2018, 10:18 AM

Old February 13th, 2019, 06:52 PM

W

iring time! All new harnesses throughout. New gauges and dash with A/C vents in soon. Time for big progress.
Old February 14th, 2019, 03:50 AM

Like probably everyone else here, I'm glad you decided to keep it and Get 'er done! Sweet updates and pics. Very motivational! Looking forward to reading that you fired it up this spring! I am working on mine now after 34 years of sitting on it. . My story is similar (except for the extra 2 decades of procrastination) and so is the car. '70 drop top, A/C, bench seat, auto made at the Linden, NJ plant. Yours has more options though. Met a guy locally who had the same car as ours, from same plant and same color combo as mine. 25 blue and white interior. His build date was 3 weeks after mine and serial number was very close. My build date was 1-70. Yours?

Old February 14th, 2019, 06:30 AM

My build week was third week in September '69
Old February 24th, 2019, 07:15 AM

Lots accomplished in this icy, snowy WI weekend. Was able to get correct bullet ‘70 sport mirrors on with door braces, dash ductwork in(thanks Nick!), passenger side lighting and grille on as well as gas tank. Starting to look like a car again! Hope to have dash in and all major wiring set. Have to test pump and pistons for top and work on engine bay hoses, radiator next.

Old February 24th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Hookers under Hood

I just went through your thread, I bet your excited with your decision to go through with restoring along with the awesome results to date!
Your project has come a long way. I love the colour, sure pops with the black. Having read the intro from 2015, you made a good decision to pull the trigger with a complete restoration.
I'm a follower from here to completion.
I really enjoyed reading through your thread on this Sunday morning.
All the best going forward!

Eric
Old February 24th, 2019, 08:55 AM

Got other side in today and some adjustments required, but literally coming together.
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Finally uploaded
Old April 15th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Good Afternoon,
Well, made some progress this weekend(thanks to my Dad and nephew in the pics), but small things challenging and need a hand. Have the bumpers on front and rear, but two issues: center tooth/extension gap is big and I see some with the same challenge, any advice? Secondly, the rear bumper has rubber pieces the assembly manual says to "glue" to the top of the bumper. We put heavy adhesive on and fit bumper, but I don't know how it's supposed to look, and think we may need to pull it back off. We also go a new thermostat on, exhaust manifolds with new copper gaskets and locks along with the heat shroud, bypass hose between water pump and thermostat housing, as well as fuel pump. Valve covers had some dings on them driving me nuts, so getting fresh pair to go in. Waiting on Mike Hagan radio to get dash in and wiring done to then start inside.

Old April 15th, 2019, 01:14 PM

WOW!!!!!!!
Very sharp
Old May 9th, 2019, 03:14 PM
JC

Following your build. Beautiful car. Awesome to see you do her right.
Yellow and black, what a color combo!!👍👍 😉

Old July 19th, 2019, 05:53 PM

Finally! After four months of waiting my new radio from Mike Hagan is here. Now the wiring holdup is done and progress resumes. Amazing how it’s not money that stops you sometimes it’s parts.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 07:30 PM

Beautiful radio we need more info is this a original that was converted?

Last edited by code26; July 22nd, 2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old July 24th, 2019, 03:31 PM

I bought this from Mike Hagan Radios http://www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com/ And go the new radio versus sending one in for conversion. It took a very long time and his website is updated to show 12 weeks to deliver. I would plan an longer and if you're ok with that, this is the product. I haven't tested it out yet as the entire car is getting wired, but will have this done in the near future. I hope this helps.
Old July 24th, 2019, 09:00 PM

The car looks great. Black stripes on yellow are my favorite color combination. Was definitely worth keeping.
Old December 29th, 2020, 09:25 AM
Banned

I know the thread is older now but had to comment. Beautiful car. Happy the wheels are Argent and not body color. Love the factory stripes. So many people overlook those factory stripes and put W stripes on. Excellent job all around. Any finished pictures?

By the way it was asked earlier about the special order paint colors. Dash marks were on the earlier production cars. Rally Red was the latest special order color added. Mine had dash marks. I also believe that all special order paint cars came out of Lansing. Please anyone correct me on these points if I am wrong.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; December 29th, 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 9th, 2022, 05:26 AM

Man, feels like decades since I posted here, but progress really hampered by Covid….really tough to get anything timely when it comes to parts or being able to get work done.

Updates on work: New custom driveshaft and rear seal on differential installed. Front brakes done, new wheel bearings, all electrical done, new pumps/pistons/lines done for convertible top, convertible top frame repaired and repainted, alternator and brackets installed, windshield and trim installed, header vinyl and hardware installed, mounted new rear view mirror, speedometer cable installed, all new brake lines run, new aluminum radiator installed, hood reveal trim installed, all power windows with glass installed and tested, Dynamat installed, and probably another 100 things I forgot.

​​​​​​

Up next weekend (hopefully): install convertible top frame, trans cooler lines in, mount & adjust e-brake lines, new drum on front driver side, shift linkage installed and whatever else time/parts allow for. Have Gardner full concours exhaust system with turbo mufflers ready to bolt up soon, too. System is fantastic: labeled well, good instructions, bagged and wrapped like nothing I’ve ever bought. Top-notch so far. I’ll post install feedback once I have it done. People say system is expensive, but new OEM catbacks can be more on Camaro/Mustang. Big thing Eric Gardner has these cars and assured trumpets would be at correct length at bumper out back and easy install with hangers. Cheers!

​​​​​​​-Ryan

Old February 9th, 2022, 06:20 AM
72 Olds CS

Very nice the car looks great w those stripes.
Old February 9th, 2022, 10:01 AM
JC

Originally Posted by Jacoz70442
... Although paint and bodywork is done, there is so much to do yet it's not funny. Hope to get a big chunk of wiring done this weekend, so we'll see.
Wow, Beautiful everything!

Above quoted comment...Makes me think and reminisce...Its amazing when you look at a project like this on day one and knowing the amount of hundreds of sub projects to come, thousands of hours spent on every aspect, including the research, sourcing parts, etc.. that that emotion and thoughts hit the "htf am I ever going to get this done"....or on day 546 of said project you say "so much more to do, htf am I ever going to get this done" 😖🤣 But yet you just keep your head down on whats right in front of you and keep grinding, many times literally grinding! Im in the thick of it right now, again. 2nd time...and seems ive been working 10 years straight. Oh, wait ...I have been!

Now times that by a multiple when you have to do the bodywork yourself, the stripping, prep and priming, breaking spot welds, fitting panels, alignments, $$$, what an amazing hobby this is. Time, energy, physically, mentally, injuries, hospital trips sometimes (twice), but you still keep rolling.

All I got to say is "Holy f-ing $$$$, Blood, sweat and tears Batman"
Old February 9th, 2022, 12:50 PM

Gardner exhaust the best in my opinion
Alain red W-31
Old February 9th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Very nice the car looks great w those stripes.
I agree. Looks like an excellent job both on the side stripes and the deck lid/rear end.

I did notice this in your pictures as well. Had to kind of laugh. So many of us 69/70 owners have had that tooth bite us.

Absolutely love your car. Very glad that you decided to keep it and give it the love that you have. Just beautiful.
Old February 10th, 2022, 03:26 PM

Really happy to see progress after many hiccups and challenges. Toughest part is having it so bare to start and having to find things the hard way not having all the pieces on before I got it. I don’t think I’d have the patience to do another one after this, but it’s been rewarding working with my dad on it. I’m probably gonna shed a tear when she finally starts up for the first time.

I’ve loved Olds, the 442, and the look of the OAI hood with a Supreme body style(particularly in convertible form) and had to have one. So much more rare to see than Chevelles, Camaros, and GTO’s…all great in their own regard, but man this one makes me smile ever time I see her.
Old February 10th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Going to be sweet when it is done.
Old February 10th, 2022, 06:50 PM

Very nice! My first car was a 1970 Sebring Yellow hardtop 442. It was three years old when I purchased it for the tidy sum of fifteen hundred dollars! It was a well worn dealer special, about fifty five thousand on her. About three months after I bought it, I let my older brother barrow it and he got t-boned! He was fine, the car was totaled. Everything worked out fine and I moved onto a 67 for seven hundred dollars. Those were the days!
Old March 13th, 2022, 07:25 PM

Making more progress, albeit rife with mistakes. Got new full brake sets all the way around on, All new E-brake lines installed and adjusted. Full Gardner exhaust system on, rear diff fluid change, convertible top frame bolted in and extended/retracted, and pistons mounted to too frame.

Things I learned:
1. Pushing e-brake cable through frame rails and into floorboards is tough when inner fenders are installed.
2. Wear glasses/googles, even for something simple …clip flew back and somehow shot right into my eye, not blind though so glasses from here on in
3. Diagrams, drawings, etc are no match for good photos.
4. Sometimes it’s ok to swear at your dad, specifically if he’s gonna f something up by using might vs. mind.
Old March 13th, 2022, 10:28 PM
Banned

Ha ha ha. Sorry not sorry to laugh. All those points make a project car a project car.

Still love your car and the in depth thread. Beautiful car and good for you sticking thru it all. I love the floor insulation. What a huge difference over factory. Thank you for building and bringing back a true car. 👍🍻
Old March 22nd, 2022, 04:30 PM

This baby is coming along, but if anyone knows: I need seat belts. Mine came w/A39 deluxe belts (which I believe are the chrome buckles), but I see a lot of 442’s this year with the plastic buckles. Which is it? Also, where’s the best place to get a full set? Black interior, so easier, but need just lap belts front and rear for notch bench front and then convertible rears. Thanks so much!
Old March 22nd, 2022, 06:24 PM

Great build

Great build and great write up
Old March 23rd, 2022, 06:14 AM

The seat belts could be ordered either Deluxe or Standard. If your has Deluxe now, that is what I would replace them with.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 04:29 PM

Give Jesse Grooms a call. He restored the original belts in my Toro and made a set of belts for my Vista. 757-636-1032 groomsgang@yahoo.com If the webbing in your original belts is still nice, He can clean and restore them with new buckle hardware. It has been a while since he did my Toro belts, but I kind of remember he was not a fan of the reproduction date code tags. You would have to discuss that with him. The webbing and original dated tags were nice enough on my toronado for him to wash and re-use along with restored buckle hardware. I can't say what his current prices are, but he charged me $350 to restore all of the belts in my Toronado (3 lap belts "sets" rear, 3 lap belt "sets" front, 2 shoulder belt "sets" front). The new set of vista cruiser belts were $500 (Same amount and type as Toronado but all new). I do remember him saying he does not restore the later "locking" retractors only the earlier ones that need to be fully extended. I dont think the locking retractors came out until 72 though.
Old March 31st, 2022, 05:39 PM

I really appreciate the resources, but I have no belts in the car or in my parts at all. Really trying to find out where or whom to get these from. Where did y’all get your seat belts from if you didn’t have them? Thanks so much!
Old March 31st, 2022, 05:56 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Jacoz70442
I really appreciate the resources, but I have no belts in the car or in my parts at all. Really trying to find out where or whom to get these from. Where did y’all get your seat belts from if you didn’t have them? Thanks so much!

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass/442/F85 NEW STANDARD SEAT BELT SET (FIVE PERSON) INCLUDES LEFT & RIGHT FRONT BELTS WITH RETRACTORS & THREE NON-RETRACTABLE LAP BELTS FOR THE REAR SEAT (SHOULDER HARNESSES & HARDWARE NOT INCLUDED) | Oldsmobile Cutlass/442/F85 Parts | IN10880Z (thepartsplaceinc.com)

Quick Reply: Sebring Yellow '70 442: go for it or let it go?