69 convertible 350 to 455 questions

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM

69 convertible 350 to 455 questions

Ive read threads for days and now Im starting my project, but wanting input on what my plans and beliefs are after reading many confusing threads. I have 69 cutlass convertible with a 350 rocket w/ 350turbo tranny. I got a 455 w400tranny out of a delte 88. The engine is being disassembled for major overhaul. Big valve C heads in shop already starting machine work. Block headed there later this week. Transmission had 80k so Im planning on good clean, filter gaskets and seals and install. I plan on using 455 mounts out of delta 88, I unserstand dont mix the mounts one or the other. my car is a convertible do i need another crossmember for the 400 tranny ???? The tranny is form the delta 88 do I have to modify tailshaft ???? do I need a new driveshaft or just the front yoke from the 88 ??? I plan to buy aftermarket manifolds w/z ????? Radiator change too 4 core ?? any other suprises that I have mentioned ??? Thanks for any input at all.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69OLDSCUTCONV
I plan on using 455 mounts out of delta 88, I unserstand dont mix the mounts one or the other.
Then you understand not to use those mounts. Assuming your 1969 still has the original frame pads, get Anchor P/N 2261 mounts and everything bolts right in. I don't know what year D88 your engine came from, but 68-70 full size motor mounts are completely different from A-body mounts and absolutely won't work. Later full size cars used 2328s if I remember correctly and those won't work with your frame mounts either.

my car is a convertible do i need another crossmember for the 400 tranny ????
Nope. Just slide yours back to the TH400 position.

The tranny is form the delta 88 do I have to modify tailshaft ???? do I need a new driveshaft or just the front yoke from the 88 ???
The D88 used a long tail trans. Your 69 needs a short tail. The long tail can be made to work, but you'll need a custom driveshaft and yes, the yoke from the D88. Even if you get a short tail trans, you'll need a different driveshaft from the one for the TH350

I plan to buy aftermarket manifolds w/z ?????
OK

Radiator change too 4 core ??
Three row at a minimum. The three row fit's your stock core suppor, four row requires new top plate and bottom brackets. Or, go aftermarket aluminum.

[/QUOTE]any other suprises that I have mentioned ??? Thanks for any input at all.[/quote]

If you have a floor shift, you'll need the TH400-specific bracket for the shift cable. All your 350 accessory brackets bolt to the 455. Be sure the brackets, pulleys, and water pump are a matched set.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Smile Thanks a bunch a couple more questions

If I get a short tail shaft Olds 400 tranny can i use a drive shaft from any gm a-body that came with a 400 tranny ? Thanks for all your help. Im going to have more during this project.
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

If I get a short tail shaft Olds 400 tranny can i use a drive shaft from any gm a-body that came with a 400 tranny ? Thanks for all your help. Im going to have more during this project.
Not quite. The different GM rear axles have different pinion flange-to-axle centerline dimensions. A Type O axle requires a driveshaft that's about an inch different from the one needed for a Chevy 12 bolt. Your best bet is to just put the car together and have a custom driveshaft made. They aren't that expensive.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Smile 350 turbo

Thanks Joe, ok sounds like Transmission tailshaft and driveshaft will be the two things I dont have parts and plan for yet. I have the 400 turbo from the 88 at present that I wanted to use. What if I leave the 350 turbo in it for now, get the 455 back from shop get it installed and running and bugs worked out on the top end and then tackel the transmission and driveshaft from the bottom. This way I have one thing to worry about at a time. Will I run into any problems doing this. This would allow me to move the car in and out of the lift.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
NOVICE car nut

I have a 68 Toro 455 that I wanted to put in the 72 CS I own , besides the motor mounts and radiator , will this bolt right up and work? The original motor was a 350 with the TH350 tranny...sorry for putting this on this thread , but I'm dying to find out so I can install the 455 this summer and enjoy untill I can afford/have a place to restore the car

Last edited by oldsguybry; January 26th, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:11 PM
NOVICE car nut

also , will those Anchor p/n 2261 motor mounts work with this application?
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
also , will those Anchor p/n 2261 motor mounts work with this application?
Yes. You will need the RWD starter and oil filter adapter from the 350.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe, ok sounds like Transmission tailshaft and driveshaft will be the two things I dont have parts and plan for yet. I have the 400 turbo from the 88 at present that I wanted to use. What if I leave the 350 turbo in it for now, get the 455 back from shop get it installed and running and bugs worked out on the top end and then tackel the transmission and driveshaft from the bottom. This way I have one thing to worry about at a time. Will I run into any problems doing this. This would allow me to move the car in and out of the lift.
Yes, many people do this. The longevity of the TH350 depends on how hard you beat on it, however.
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes. You will need the RWD starter and oil filter adapter from the 350.
Thanks millions for your input sir , how come you need the oil filter adaptor? sorry in advance for being a noob
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks millions for your input sir , how come you need the oil filter adaptor? sorry in advance for being a noob
The Toro transaxle forces the starter to the passenger side, where it would interfere with the normal oil filter adapter, thus the need for a different one on the Toro.
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:10 PM
NOVICE car nut

The Toro transaxle forces the starter to the passenger side, where it would interfere with the normal oil filter adapter, thus the need for a different one on the Toro.

ahh I see , where would be a good place to get a RWD starter for a 455 , and would the one from the 350 work ?
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM

One other thing you need to consider. The parking brake cables are different for the TH350 and the TH400 because they are supported by the trans cross member. Therefore you will need to replace them if you plan to use it. If not you still should remove them so they don't' get hung up on anything.
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

ahh I see , where would be a good place to get a RWD starter for a 455 , and would the one from the 350 work ?
Yes, though the 350 starter won't be a high-torque unit. You can swap the nose from the 350 starter onto the Toto starter, which should be a high-torque unit.
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
NOVICE car nut

Yes, though the 350 starter won't be a high-torque unit. You can swap the nose from the 350 starter onto the Toto starter, which should be a high-torque unit.
I dont think I have the starter from the Toro , will have to search mom's garage , if not any ideas where would be a good place to search for one ? sorry for all the questions

Bryan