Resto of 69 442 Conv.

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Resto-Mod of 69 442 Conv.

Semi-frame off resto started 1-2-10. Work to be done will include replacing full trunk pan, quarters, outer wheelhousings, fender and floor pan patches. Body will be lifted enough to change all body mounts. Front disc brake conversion, new steering, suspension and rebuilt 71 455 motor. Body and engine bay will be media blasted and repainted the original Trophy Blue with white top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0002.jpg (87.9 KB, 215 views)
PICT0004.jpg (65.0 KB, 152 views)
PICT0007.jpg (81.5 KB, 175 views)
PICT0008.jpg (70.8 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Beob; August 11th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Vera nice

And the Perfect year.
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
1971 442 convert

Looks like a real nice project.
Good luck with it and I like the color.
4 speed or auto?
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM

week 1, quarters out, trunk pan out. After pulling off bumper off we discovered that it was a cutlass bumper with cut outs, not a real 442 bumper. If any body has a 69 442 bumper in the NYC area please let me know. Its an auto but considering doing a 4speed conversion Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
pict0013a.jpg (89.6 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by Beob; January 11th, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
1971 442 convert

Yeah I have been thinking about a 4 speed conversion as well.
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:41 AM

Thumbs down Dead end

Don't forget about the fact that Olds autos don't have the hole in the end of the crank for the pilot bearing, so you will have to get the crank machined
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Don't forget about the fact that Olds autos don't have the hole in the end of the crank for the pilot bearing, so you will have to get the crank machined
I was recently made aware of that,thank you
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Registered Luser

C'mon Rob...no updates in a week! Put and ad in the parts wanted section for the bumper you need! More will notice it there.....thanks again for picking up the block for me!
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM

looks like your making decent headway. Jeesh at this rate everone going to be done with there cars before me. I guess I had better step up the pace on the 48
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Week 2 Trunk pan mostly complete, Now working on getting quarters, trunk ext and wheel houses all lined up properly before welding (thanks for the quarters JKaz). This car has power windows but only in the front and coldnt figure out why. For some reason the rears were taken out and cranks put back in. The wiring and switches were found under the back seat. Ive just located a 442 bumper right near my house, It was re-chromed a year ago and never used!
Attached Images
PICT0018.jpg (92.0 KB, 264 views)
PICT0019.jpg (94.5 KB, 237 views)
PICT0020.jpg (60.8 KB, 224 views)
PICT0022.jpg (69.8 KB, 216 views)
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:38 AM
1971 442 convert

Looking good Beob its amazing what you can find. I am finding a few things to mainly rust Ha Ha.
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Beob
Week 2 Trunk pan mostly complete, Now working on getting quarters, trunk ext and wheel houses all lined up properly before welding (thanks for the quarters JKaz). This car has power windows but only in the front and coldnt figure out why. For some reason the rears were taken out and cranks put back in. The wiring and switches were found under the back seat. Ive just located a 442 bumper right near my house, It was re-chromed a year ago and never used!
Beob,

Where did you pickup the outer wheel housing? Did you have to modify them at all? I've only been able to find coupe wheel housings and had to modify them to fit my 68 convert. I had rust issues in the quarters, outer wheel housing and lower part of trunk dropoff and inner housing at rear of wheel opening.

You are making good progress and pics are great. Keep'em coming.
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by lil_no
Beob,

Where did you pickup the outer wheel housing? Did you have to modify them at all? I've only been able to find coupe wheel housings and had to modify them to fit my 68 convert. I had rust issues in the quarters, outer wheel housing and lower part of trunk dropoff and inner housing at rear of wheel opening.

You are making good progress and pics are great. Keep'em coming.
I picked the wheelhouses up from a local parts dealer called muscle car headquarters. I believe they are made by Goodmark. They are for a hardtop and my welder did mention something about possibly having to modify them. What did you have to do to yours?
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM

I picked the wheelhouses up from a local parts dealer called muscle car headquarters. I believe they are made by Goodmark. They are for a hardtop and my welder did mention something about possibly having to modify them. What did you have to do to yours?
I actually had to fab the upper portion of the driver side wheel house. I removed the entire outer wheel housing under the assumption I could just weld in a new one which is not the case. I had to cut out a portion of the new wheel house because the vert wheel housing is a lot flatter on the top and upper front section compared to coupes. I haven't done the passenger side yet but I will only use the outer portion where the current one is rusted out.

I will post pics for you tomorrow. No one seems to know where the cord is for the camera. I have another cord at work so I will try to post in the morning.
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:16 AM

I actually had to fab the upper portion of the driver side wheel house. I removed the entire outer wheel housing under the assumption I could just weld in a new one which is not the case. I had to cut out a portion of the new wheel house because the vert wheel housing is a lot flatter on the top and upper front section compared to coupes. I haven't done the passenger side yet but I will only use the outer portion where the current one is rusted out.

I will post pics for you tomorrow. No one seems to know where the cord is for the camera. I have another cord at work so I will try to post in the morning.
I would definitely appreciate some pics of your mods. Also the owner of Muscle car HQ mentioned this to me, something about the conv top not folding down properly with the HT housing. Thanks again, Rob
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM

Pics of Wheel Housing

Rob,

Here are the pics I could find. I brought a sheetmetal shrinker and stretcher to fab new top piece.

I think I have more on another of the two camera in the house which grew legs and walked away and no one knows where it could be. Will have to start locking my camera in the toolbox in the garage. LOL....

Noah
Attached Images
PC130598.jpg (63.1 KB, 204 views)
PC130599.jpg (51.9 KB, 161 views)
PC130600.jpg (66.3 KB, 177 views)
PC130601.jpg (45.5 KB, 147 views)
PC130602.jpg (67.6 KB, 157 views)
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM

More Pics...
Attached Images
PC130603.jpg (64.5 KB, 104 views)
PC170604.jpg (60.7 KB, 110 views)
PC170605.jpg (66.3 KB, 93 views)
PC170606.jpg (52.6 KB, 108 views)
PC170607.jpg (73.7 KB, 111 views)
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks for pics, actually our outer housings fit right in no problem Yours may be a little different than mine. I think its the inners that must be modified for the conv top. My inners are being patched. Thanks again
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks for pics, actually our outer housings fit right in no problem Yours may be a little different than mine. I think its the inners that must be modified for the conv top. My inners are being patched. Thanks again
I also tried installing without modifying and the wheel housing sat out to far and none of the body lines on the quarter would line up during fitting. After doing some comparing to the wheel house which was removed and the passenger side, it was concluded that the outer housing needed to be modified. I was also told by the sales rep that it would just weld right in which turned out to be fault . The top of my inner and outer wheel housing were both flat.

Well good luck with your build and I will keep an eye on your progress. Keep up the good work and posting of pics.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Week 3 1/2

Every part has been removed except suspension. and it was hard to see my car looking like this. A few rust holes in cowl and some damage to the front of the frame near rad support. Car must have been hit in front and bent in about 3-4 inches of frame. Funny thing is that I obtained a spare front bumper recently and instead of unbolting it from the parts car it was cut out with about 8 inches of frame still attached to bumper. So the damage part of frame will be replaced!
Attached Images
PICT0089.jpg (81.1 KB, 167 views)
PICT0090.jpg (106.0 KB, 193 views)
PICT0091.jpg (103.8 KB, 164 views)
PICT0092.jpg (104.0 KB, 191 views)
PICT0097.jpg (58.0 KB, 172 views)
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Beob,
Nice work on the 69. I know what you mean about seeing your car torn apart like that. I'm trying to finish a 67 Camaro before I start on my 65 442. I remember thinking that I would never get all of the body panels back on.
How are you welding the seams on your quarters, butt or overlap? Looked like plug welds on your picture.

Wayne
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne Hamlin
Beob,
Nice work on the 69. I know what you mean about seeing your car torn apart like that. I'm trying to finish a 67 Camaro before I start on my 65 442. I remember thinking that I would never get all of the body panels back on.
How are you welding the seams on your quarters, butt or overlap? Looked like plug welds on your picture.

Wayne
My welder has a tool that makes a lip along the cut edge of the quarter. The new quarter overlaps into the lip so the surface is flush, then spot welded
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Registered Luser

Flange Tool!

He used a flange tool Rob....I'm sure he plans on welding the entire seam closed ....right? If not...........!
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
He used a flange tool Rob....I'm sure he plans on welding the entire seam closed ....right? If not...........!
A flange tool, thats it! Actually I asked him the seem would be completely welded or braised and he said no. I was a bit skeptical, but he seems to know what hes doing. What problems can this create?
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:18 PM

I've read opinions on other forums that say always weld solid, others say plug welding is O.K. I've read that an overlap joint with filler on top can leave a shadow or 'ghost' line under the paint. But this is only what I've read---no personal experience.
If you look at the quarter panel / roof joint on a hardtop, they are overlapped, spot welded and then lead filled. Maybe the lead prevented the ghost line. ????
I recently put an 80% quarter on my Camaro and I butt welded the seam and used metal to metal filler on both sides because it's supposed to be a better moisture barrier.
Anyway, just sharing with you guys, not trying to tell anyone what to do.

Wayne
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:42 AM

Just spoke to my resto man, and the entire seem will be completely welded shut. There must have been a misunderstanding somewhere, Thanks Eric.
All body bushings have been replaced, 3 of the bushings and surrounding metal were rotted so bad it was metal on metal. Rob
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM

weld through primer?

I need to do the quarters on my 69, and originally thought to do the swap like you have done it, I have a bunch of the aircraft type clamps (cleeco)
but after discussing it here I decided to try the butt weld method, I am thinking now that I will flange some tabs mount the quarter, and as I get up to the tabs weld either side, then remove the tab and continue.

Your resto looks great! did you use a weld through primer? I was worried about trapping moisture etc, I couldn't afford NOS quarters so i got goodmarks, and i understand the metal is a little thinner, hope I don't get different expansion rates etc. I plan to lead the seams though.. this ought to be interesting as i have never done that either LOL...

good luck and keep us posted quite inspirational...
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM

primer

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I need to do the quarters on my 69, and originally thought to do the swap like you have done it, I have a bunch of the aircraft type clamps (cleeco)
but after discussing it here I decided to try the butt weld method, I am thinking now that I will flange some tabs mount the quarter, and as I get up to the tabs weld either side, then remove the tab and continue.

Your resto looks great! did you use a weld through primer? I was worried about trapping moisture etc, I couldn't afford NOS quarters so i got goodmarks, and i understand the metal is a little thinner, hope I don't get different expansion rates etc. I plan to lead the seams though.. this ought to be interesting as i have never done that either LOL...

good luck and keep us posted quite inspirational...
Sorry Ed, not sure know what primer . The quarters were already primed before I bought them and they appear to have been laying around for quite a while.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM

5 weeks

Not much visual progress lately. Still working on patching holes in bottom of cowl and under windshield. Also fender patch and finishing quarters. Rob
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Thanks

Keep us posted of your progress
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Thanks..

well thanks anyway and thanks for posting, keeps the juices flowin!! LOL..

I am a little all over the place with my resto while yours looks very organized. Great job.
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM

week 7

Most sheet metal work and welding is almost done. Floor pan, left fender and door, and lower cowl have been patched. We hope to have car blasted next week. Rob
Attached Images
PICT0283.jpg (58.6 KB, 161 views)
PICT0284.jpg (52.9 KB, 141 views)
PICT0285.jpg (56.4 KB, 143 views)
PICT0286.jpg (77.2 KB, 160 views)
PICT0287.jpg (57.3 KB, 149 views)
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
1971 442 convert

Looking good Rob.
It's amazing how long the metal work takes.
Are you doing all this yourself?
If so I envy you.
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Nice progress and things are looking great.
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Great work keep it up.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by 1971 442 convert
Looking good Rob.
It's amazing how long the metal work takes.
Are you doing all this yourself?
If so I envy you.
Unfortunately no, Im paying a resto man to do all the work. I wish I had the tools and most of all the time and space, otherwise I would have done it myself. It is talking a while to do sheet metal work, but as long as he does a good job and its done by spring, Ill be happy! Thanks for words of encouragement from all!
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Car went in to be blasted yesterday! All old paint will be blasted off, as well as engine bay, upper and lower dash, steering column and conv top frame. Engine is going in Saturday. Rob
Attached Images
dscn0048a.jpg (85.6 KB, 127 views)
dscn0049a.jpg (92.5 KB, 136 views)
dscn0050a.jpg (84.3 KB, 159 views)
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM
1971 442 convert

Looking good Rob.
What all did you do to the engine?
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Sorry, I meant the engine is going in to the shop. I wish we were ready to put in in the car, I think thats still a few weeks away. Im going to wait to see what the machinist says after he takes apart the bottom end. I do know that I am putting in a new cam around .525 lift and edelbrock aluminum heads. Rob
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM

3 months

Making some good progress lately. Media blasting and all body work is complete.
Attached Images
PICT0323.jpg (66.6 KB, 127 views)
PICT0321.jpg (62.9 KB, 119 views)
PICT0317.jpg (64.5 KB, 142 views)
PICT0318.jpg (50.9 KB, 152 views)

Quick Reply: Resto of 69 442 Conv.