Rallye 350 restoration photos

Old March 30th, 2019, 07:14 AM
70 W-45

Rallye 350 restoration photos

I put together an album with some of the restoration pics taken during my 10+ year project. Dad bought this car from the original owner for me just prior to 16th birthday in 1976 from a co-worker for $1000, it was in need of some tlc. Drove it until around 1981 when it was parked (most of the time). I didn't get serious on the restoration until 2010 and work was definitely not continuous. Time, money and other commitments always seemed to get in the way, and to complicate things we moved twice during the time when the Rallye was in pieces. Mostly complete now but not "done", have new front door panels on the shelf, side glass can use some more adjusting, going to have FM chip put in radio and would like to pull the M-20 out soon and rebuild again, should have replaced the forks during the first time, I get some rattle in first gear.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/g/user/61805

June '78
Old March 30th, 2019, 04:20 PM

Great photos and thank you for sharing! The bucket seat pieces look outstanding. Few questions for you.
  1. What supplier did you use for your gold engine paint?
  2. The foam seal has an "original" color to it. Original / NOS?
  3. Buckets look really firm. New cushion / foam?
  4. How much easier was it to cut the carpet with the frames detached like that. I like the way you did that.
Old March 30th, 2019, 05:12 PM
70 W-45

The engine paint is from Supercars Unlimited, looks like this is what you use also! Jim at J&S machine recommended it and glad he did. The OAI foam seal is replacement and I can't say for sure where I got it, its one of the many parts I purchased over the years. I kept the original seat foams, they were in decent shape, the upholstery is from Legendary. As for cutting the carpet, having the frames detached was a huge advantage, I had them off the seats anyway to refurbish and just thought it might make cutting the slots correctly in the carpet a little easier as I am definitely not a pro at doing carpet. Thanks!