Power steering hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2020, 12:39 PM

Power steering hose replacement

I am having trouble finding a correct replacement pressure line for the power steering in my 66 Starfire. All the ones that are supposed to fit have 90s on both ends. Mine just has slight kicks. Anyone know what the correct one should be?
Thank you
Old April 23rd, 2020, 02:03 PM

The oldsmobile part number was 5697260, short of finding an old NOS( 150.00 cost) one or having one made using your ends you most likely wont find an exact aftermarket match.
All of the one I see use one part number to cover 8 to 10 OE numbers.
the EDELMANN 70230 has a 90 degree at the gearbox and a 30 to 45 degree bend at the pump.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 03:08 PM

We had a lot of problems trying to source a new pressure hose for our 1966 Ninety-Eight LS. The same problem, all had 90-degree ends. After much searching, we found an Omega hose number 852 to be close enough to work. It is a touch longer then the O/E. I will post a picture soon showing the O/E hose and the Omega.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 03:17 PM

here is a picture of the hose from Omega, it is actually about five inches longer but the bends are what we need to make it fit on ours. The extra height of the loop does not look like it will interfere with anything under the hood - even with our cruise control - nor should the extra height bring the hose any closer to exhaust manifold. Another possibility if you are not comfortable with this is to go to a farm supply store which makes hydraulic hoses.

Old April 23rd, 2020, 03:20 PM

Please note, the picture I took made the Omega hose looking like it has a very sharp bend on the pump end. It is a bit less then 45%, which will help with the added length of the hose!
Old April 23rd, 2020, 03:42 PM

It's interesting that even Fusick, supposedly the pope of Oldsmobile parts, gets it wrong about the power steering pressure hose for this car. They show 90-degree ends on both sides, too.

Here's a diagram from the '66 chassis service manual clearly showing that the pressure hose is pretty much a straight line thing with no bend at all where it connects to the pump and a slight bend where it connects to the steering gear.

When Vistabrat said "Omega" hose, I thought it he meant a hose that would fit an Oldsmobile Omega, not an Omega-branded hose. But that got me to looking at hoses for Omegas.

I found this when looking at power steering pressure hoses for a 1982 Omega with the L-4 engine. I don't know how long it is, but it sure looks like it would work, assuming the ends have the proper size fittings. It's AC Delco part number 36358011, and it's $13 at Rockauto.

Old April 23rd, 2020, 04:13 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Give Marty a call.

Old April 23rd, 2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It's interesting that even Fusick, supposedly the pope of Oldsmobile parts, gets it wrong about the power steering pressure hose for this car. They show 90-degree ends on both sides, too.

Here's a diagram from the '66 chassis service manual clearly showing that the pressure hose is pretty much a straight line thing with no bend at all where it connects to the pump and a slight bend where it connects to the steering gear.

When Vistabrat said "Omega" hose, I thought it he meant a hose that would fit an Oldsmobile Omega, not an Omega-branded hose. But that got me to looking at hoses for Omegas.

I found this when looking at power steering pressure hoses for a 1982 Omega with the L-4 engine. I don't know how long it is, but it sure looks like it would work, assuming the ends have the proper size fittings. It's AC Delco part number 36358011, and it's $13 at Rockauto.

A very good point, I should have clarified the company name was 'Omega', and not the model offered from Oldsmobile. It got you thinking though, many discoveries were never intended - vulcanized rubber, penicillin - and now a fitting power steering hose! I hope it works out for you, you may need conversion fittings, the hose I showed has flare fittings, the one you discovered has the newer metric 'O'-ring fittings.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 07:16 PM

Holy smokes, that's some great information.
I have a hose shop down the road, looks like that my closest to original as I'm gonna get.
But, I will check with Marty first, see what he has.
Thanks guys
Old April 23rd, 2020, 07:40 PM

Transmission cooler line fittings

Any ideas on getting the replacement fitting at the radiator for the upper tranny cooler line?
90 degree male flare to female flare.
Considering a salvage yard as I can’t find a new one.
Thanks again
Old April 23rd, 2020, 09:31 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Snap a pic of the trans line. That doesn't sound stock. Someone may have cut into the line at one time and did a repair?
Most 60s-70s GM trans-lines I'm used to seeing are one piece to and from trans, male male.
I'm driving blind with a 66 Starfire.

Any of the prebent metal tubing vendors should be able to help... https://www.inlinetube.com/ https://classictube.com/
So will McMaster Carr...https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-flared-tube-fittings
Dorman may have something https://www.dormanproducts.com/pages...gin=homebanner

If your sourcing common fittings from a supplier like McMaster, keep in mind you are looking for 45* angle flare face not 37* high PSI hydraulic fittings.

No Teflon tape or pipe sealer should be used on flare fittings. If anything apply a small amount of anti-seize on the threads and to the OD of the tube behind the nut.
This will prevent the nut from seizing on the threads and the metal line should you ever need to remove it. This same technique works for brake and fuel lines as well. The key phrase is a small amount.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 09:57 PM

Tranny fitting

This is what I'm looking for, somehow got tweaked at radiator shop.
Old April 24th, 2020, 08:14 AM

Interesting,
I can find street elbows all over, but they are NPT to inverted flare.
Old April 24th, 2020, 08:22 AM

Found it in CSM, it comes this way on AC cars.
Old April 24th, 2020, 09:33 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Answer this...are both sides of this fitting 45* flare?
Snap a good pic of that end looking down the bore.
The male threads look like standard tube threads...not tapered pipe not flare either.
What does the bung in the radiator look like? Flare or just a threaded hole?

You may have to build something and splice the tube, but I think with some digging you can find this fitting.

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-flared-tube-fittings

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 24th, 2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old April 24th, 2020, 09:46 AM

Flare on both ends
Old April 24th, 2020, 10:45 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

if you cant find it in one piece you should be able to build it from two. You need male flare at the radiator to regular thread.
So this into the rad... https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-flared-tube-fittings
This into that fitting... https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-flared-tube-fittings
Then this 90 to the trans line. You will need to cut the fitting off the trans line and install a female nut and reflare.
Or purchase a pre flared line with the right fittings and cut it up to adapt, then install a compression fitting on the OEM line and adapt to that.

Several ways to make it work if the correct fitting can not be located.
Ill bet if you did some googling and phone calls you willl find it.

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 24th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old April 28th, 2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
here is a picture of the hose from Omega, it is actually about five inches longer but the bends are what we need to make it fit on ours. The extra height of the loop does not look like it will interfere with anything under the hood - even with our cruise control - nor should the extra height bring the hose any closer to exhaust manifold. Another possibility if you are not comfortable with this is to go to a farm supply store which makes hydraulic hoses.
So the Omega hose it is. Closest to OEM look. Got it on order. My PS fluid was nasty, dark black red. Planning on using Dexron VI once all flushed out. Is there any problems using the synthetic stuff in these older cars?

Last edited by yfzrdp; April 28th, 2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 28th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by yfzrdp
Planning on using Dextron VI
Why? Isn't this a transmission fluid?

All you need is this, available anywhere. I've been using it forever.

Old April 28th, 2020, 04:08 PM

From somewhere in my past I thought GM used Dexron in their Power Steering. Am I wrong? Just to be clear, its the AC Delco brand. Claims to be reverse compatible.

Last edited by yfzrdp; April 28th, 2020 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 28th, 2020, 04:24 PM

Dexron VI is reverse compatible with Dexron III as a transmission fluid. But the back of the bottle of Dexron VI says what's shown below. My owner's manual doesn't say a word about using ATF in power steering systems. I've always just poured in the Prestone. Why fix what ain't broken?

Old April 28th, 2020, 04:28 PM

Agreed, just trying to keep one less partial jug of fluid in the cabinet, lol
Old April 29th, 2020, 09:00 AM

Talking Power steering fluid or ATF

So not to stir the pot, but the cap on power steering reservoir says "Use Automatic Trans Fluid Type A".
Doing a bit of searching. the first Dexron name was in 1967 and was called Type B or II. The Type A specs were established in 1949. I also believe there was some suffix classifications in use in the 60's, ie ,Type A-Suffix A.
All this has led down to the controversy about the positive and negatives of using modern fluids in older cars.
Obviously the fluids are better, but some feel that sediments that have found comfy places in the older equipment might be dislodged and do more damage than good.
I love these topics, entertains my brain,,

Last edited by yfzrdp; April 29th, 2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 29th, 2020, 09:09 AM

So not to stir the pot, but the cap on power steering reservoir says "Use Automatic Trans Fluid Type A".
That was true when the car was made in 1966. Who knows if the same thing would be on the cap if the car were built today.

My thought is, if we can all just use ATF in our power steering systems, then why do they make power steering fluid? Can we pour power steering fluid in our transmissions? I mean, if one equals the other, shouldn't that go both ways? Power steering fluid is generally cheaper that ATF.

Last edited by jaunty75; April 29th, 2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old April 29th, 2020, 09:19 AM

I did a little checking just now at the Autozone website. A quart of Prestone PSF is $6.99. A quart of Autozone-brand PSF is $4.99.

Autozone's website does not show AC Delco Dexron VI as being sold by them. They do show a number of different brands, one of which is Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic that says on the label it is for Dexron VI applications, among others. Autozone's price for a 1-quart container is $7.99.

My point is that, if it is just fine to use ATF in power steering systems, why would manufacturers make power steering fluid that costs LESS than the same amount of ATF? They could make more money if they simply made only one product and marketed it as to be used in both transmissions and power steering systems.

Old April 29th, 2020, 09:28 AM

How about this as to why to have a power steering specific fluid.
Ford used to have require a type F fluid that contained friction additives. That would not be something wanted in a PS system. Thus the need to market PS fluid.
I would also believe the SAE requirements for PS fluid are lower than that of a ATF fluid.
Thanks for the discussion. Making my day at the office better.
Old April 29th, 2020, 09:35 AM

OK, I can understand the "downward" compatibility issue. The requirements for PSF are less than those for ATF, so while ATF will work in PS systems, the reverse isn't true. But this brings up the biggest point of all. If PSF meets manufacturer requirements, why spend more money than you have to? What are you gaining by spending the extra money on ATF?

In my experience, power steering systems are among the least trouble-prone of any system on the car. They usually run years without ever having to add fluid and without ever giving out and requiring the replacement of anything. I had a '67 Delta 88 from 2009 until I sold it last January. In all that time, I never once actually changed the fluid nor the hoses. I think I may have added fluid once, and it was PSF. The pump and hoses looked original to me, so there they were, 53 years and 132,000 miles after the car was built, still working fine, and doing it all this time on old-fashioned power steering fluid.
Old April 29th, 2020, 09:42 AM

Real life testimonial says it all. Great information.
Now I am second guessing myself on replacing the pressure line. Doesn't leak and looks ok from the outside. But I like to be preventive and I believe they deteriorate from the inside.
Worst fear would be springing a leak and dumping a bunch of oil on manifold and starting a fire,,,
Old April 29th, 2020, 09:59 AM

If you're going to replace one hose, it's not much trouble to replace the other, and they don't cost much money, relatively speaking. If neither were leaking or anything, I would leave them alone. But if you have to do any work on the system that requires their removal, that's a different thing. You're down there removing things, anyway. Might as well replace with new.
Old April 29th, 2020, 10:27 AM

Yeah, return was leaking past clamps,hose was old and dry. This car has sat for 15 years. that is probably harder on hoses than if they were in use.
Going to replace them both.
Old May 7th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Pretty legit

Just an update. The omega 852 hose fits really well and has a factory look. Thank you vistabrat.
It is a bit long, but I am just going to swing it over to the fender and make the return line match.
My came with an Edelman number if the omega number is hard to find. I will post some pictures when I get the brake lines all routed and installed.

Last edited by yfzrdp; May 7th, 2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old May 8th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Just an update. The omega 852 hose fits really well and has a factory look. Thank you vistabrat.
It is a bit long, but I am just going to swing it over to the fender and make the return line match.
My came with an Edelman number if the omega number is hard to find. I will post some pictures when I get the brake lines all routed and installed.
You are very welcome! The large Oldsmobiles are not the most easy vehicles to fix up/restore. We fix them up and improvise what we need to get the job done. We can't build them out of a catalog! Very glad you were satisfied with the hose, and tucking it up by the fender housing is a neat idea, I will only be able to do this a bit because the factory cruise control in ours takes up a lot of space. You can see the rod and part of the main body of the cruise control unit in the extreme right of the picture.

1966 Ninety-Eight LS engine