Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2011, 07:46 AM
1970 Cutlass Convertible

Powder Coating

I am preparing to send my frame and misc. parts to the powder coater.
Are there any parts I should not have coated? I know its a vague question, I just dont want to get something coated that I shouldnt.
I am sending:
Frame, Cross Member, control arms (front and rear), rear end, engine brackets, pullies, sway bars, springs, spindles. That is all I can think of.

Scott
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by frasco
I am preparing to send my frame and misc. parts to the powder coater.
Are there any parts I should not have coated? I know its a vague question, I just dont want to get something coated that I shouldnt.
I am sending:
Frame, Cross Member, control arms (front and rear), rear end, engine brackets, pullies, sway bars, springs, spindles. That is all I can think of.

Scott
These items bought new are usually powder coated. The heat isn't going to mess anything up with these items. The guys powder coating will give you a heads up if you send them anything that will get damaged (they want to protect themselves). Might want to send the core support if it's not already on your list. I just had my frame and rear axle powder coated, looks great and much better than paint.
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Hey there,

I own a sandblasting company and about 80% of what we do goes to powdercoating (including my own car stuff!). The only things you really need to be concerned about is anything rubber or any parts that have a tolerance fit. For example a fan that needs to slide back over a shaft etc. There is usually enough play anyway.
Hope this helps.
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
Hey there,

I own a sandblasting company and about 80% of what we do goes to powdercoating (including my own car stuff!). The only things you really need to be concerned about is anything rubber or any parts that have a tolerance fit. For example a fan that needs to slide back over a shaft etc. There is usually enough play anyway.
Hope this helps.
This is important. I did my own powder coating on most of my part that were able to fit in my welding rod oven. I was able to use the high heat tape that was available to protect areas that I didn't want coated, especially on control arms where bushings need to be pressed in.
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM

I would not powder coat the springs? Did on my car and the heat weaken them twice. Went to put them in the car basically sat on the ground.
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by fjross
This is important. I did my own powder coating on most of my part that were able to fit in my welding rod oven. I was able to use the high heat tape that was available to protect areas that I didn't want coated, especially on control arms where bushings need to be pressed in.
X2 on the control arms, just not a good idea.[without protecting the area where the bushings press in as noted above.]