My Never Ending Journey

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM

My Never Ending Journey

I have copied this over from a site I joined before find THE Oldsmobile site. I'm sure I will find the support I need to keep this thing going.

September 26th,2010
Here is a little bit about my 442 that I have owned for 25 years. I am the second owner; my father in law was the first.
The 442 was purchased new in the state of Oregon as a family car then spent time in Colorado and Wisconsin before ending up in Illinois. My wife was brought home from the hospital in this car and even though our children were not brought home in it, it was at the hospital when they were born.

There are lots of stories and pictures around that I will try and dig up. This car has lead a rough life of over 200,000 miles many at the hands of 4 teenage boys. It has been wrecked 3 times once by a 78 Z28 doing donuts nearby, it has been stuck in mud above the rockers after sliding off the road and has been impounded by the police. All of this was years ago when boys could be boys without losing their toys.

Here is a picture of it traveling from Colorado to Wisconsin in 1967.
4421967.jpg[IMG]http://And here it is today with a 400, M-21 4 speed, 3;91 posi.
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae129/R442/442/DSCF6541.jpg[/IMG]

DSCF6541.jpg

I have had the 442 since I was 20 and it has always been a low budget driver going through several used engines and rear ends along the way. It has always been and will always be Oldsmobile powered. It may not be the fastest or cheapest way to go but I wouldn?t have it any other way.
Three years ago at the age of 42 I decided that it was time to try drag racing with it. The first time out was with a tired 455 that was on its last leg. I was only able to get a best time of 15.8 but I was hooked. I am by no means a drag racer only having been down the track a total of 8 times but I am having a blast.
The following winter I was able to get the original 400 rebuilt properly. All other rebuilds were done cheap and easy with new bearings and rings, no machine work at all. The new rebuild included hot tanking, line boring, .040 cylinder bore, new pistons , lifters, roller rockers, timing chain, everything and the entire rotating assemble was balanced.
DSCF2936.jpgDSCF4880.jpg

Here it is in the car with a Torker intake, VooDoo cam, Hooker headers, 3? dual exhaust and new for this year a 100HP power shot system with a NOS controller.

DSCF6637.jpg
This was to be my dream engine. That summer I was only able to get to the track once and it was a very busy day only making 2 passes. My best pass that time was 14.8, my goal with the 442 is low 13's , a 12.9 would make me a very happy man. I think trying to go any faster than that with the original motor and 4 speed we be to much money.
DSCF0456.jpg

The dream engine ended after 3,000 miles at the drag strip in Union Grove.
DSCF6603.jpg

Everything was good throughout the run with the exception of a missed gear. When I turned onto the return road I heard a very bad sound coming from the lower end of the motor. To the best of our knowledge (the machine shop and myself) I sucked air into the oil system while slowing down after the run. I think its time for a deep sump pan.
It now sits in my garage waiting for the engine to come back out and find out exactly what happened. This project will be slow going at first, it was unplanned which means unfunded and I also need to get a few other winterization things done before I can tear into the engine rebuild. My best run that night was 14.4 with a missed shift. Like I said I'm still new at this. Hopefully next year I will make it to the track and start heading into the 13's.

Almost forgot to mention, I still have all of the original parts in case I lose my mind and decide to go back to stock some day.

I will keep you posted as things progress.
December 10th,2010

Well it's been a while but I finally heard back from the machine shop. The damage is 4 galled wrist pins and a spun bearing. This came about for a few reasons. When I built the motor I used the harmonic balancer off of a 455. I did not realize that they were marked different and when I used the timing tab off of the 400 it retarded my timing by 15 degs. This combined with the wrong size and style of carb and a fuel system that was insufficient I was also starving the engine. The 50HP of nitrous probably didn't help the situation much either. There was also a possibility that I was draining the oil from the pan by the end of the run.

For my new set up aside from replaceing the damaged pieces I am making a few upgrades. I am replacing the oil pan with a seven quart unit, a new high volume oil pump with a 1/2" dia pick up tube. I am buying a new 750 double pumper feed by a 130 gph mechanical pump. Thanks to the members of this forum I am seeting up my nitrous system as a stand alone system with it's own fuel cell and pump.

I will be glad to start putting things back together, even though there is snow on the ground I like knowing that I can hop in my car and go.

January 2nd, 2011
I installed restrictors when I rebuilt the motor last time. What I didn't do is install a larger pan to go with my high volume oil pump. According to the machine shop the oil pump was starting to suck air at the end of the track. I came across a couple older pictures I thought I would post.

Here are a couple before I bought the car. The second picture is just a sample of the life the car has led.
4421981.jpg
stuck442.jpg

This is a picture from the first time I finished it.
442backyard.jpg
The car stayed that way for about 5 years and then I crashed it on my way to work.
442crash.jpg
Luckily I had enough parts to get it back on the road the same evening. After a year of running around in primer I was able to redo the car to the current state its in now. It is ready for another repaint but due to my engine situation that is put on hold for now.

I did get to the garage for the last couple days and install new bearings and syncros in my transmisson.
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:35 AM

January 4th, 2011

Time to install new bearings and syncros. I have had this apart one other time to swap my syncronizer springs. The shop I took it to earlier had put them in the wrong place and it was kicking out of gear when I let off of the throttle. This was the job I was fearing the most on my car.

I started with this
DSCF7109.jpg

And these
DSCF7111.jpgDSCF7112.jpg

Disassembly went well until I tried to remove the speedometer gear.
DSCF7115.jpg
DSCF7117.jpg
DSCF7120.jpg

I tried everything I could find in my garage to remove the speedo gear but had no luck. I ended up taking it to the shop I work at to press it out with the 20 ton press. I wasted about two hours instead of using the right tool for the right job.

Once all the bearings seals and syncros were changed it was time to put it back together.
DSCF7121.jpg
DSCF7123.jpg

This is the tool that made things easy on me.
DSCF7126.jpg
It is a 7/8" x 8 3/8" wooden dowel lightly sanded to slide inside the cluster gear. Without this I knew of no other way to hold the 80 needle bearings inside the cluster gear.

Everything went together so nice I forgot to take any pictures except for the finished product.
DSCF7124.jpg

The only other thing I have gotten done is mounting the nitrous fuel cell.
DSCF7127.jpg

Everything else I have left to do is centered around the engine, fuel lines, electric fuel pump, etc.

So now I will work on cleaning the engine compartment while I wait for the machine shop to finish my block.

Feburary 26th, 2011

Re: 1966 442
Well its been a while waiting for my engine to come back from the machine shop but its finally here.

Some assembly required!

DSCF7510.jpg

It turns out that the main problem was detonation. I had four wrist pins that were scored and thats what caused the bearings to spin. The reason for the detonation was the wrong timing tab on the motor caused my timing to be 15 degs. retarded from what the tab was showing. That was an expensive lesson.

Nothing to exciting but heres the damage.

DSCF7512.jpg

Hopefully the updates will come quicker now that my engine and car are in the same state again.

March 9th, 2011
I never had any idea there was a problem. There was no pinging that I was aware of but with headers and flow masters it's not the quietest car. The timing was advanced but had no sign of run on or hard starting. I did check TDC when I put the engine together and also installed the distributor after installing the timing chain so it would stay in the right spot.

The compression ratio is 10.5 with B heads. I am building a mild engine with a .030 over bore. I want something with a good foundation for future upgrades that is also something I can use as daily driver. I've also got a 455 sitting in the garage with thoughts of reuilding it for a future project.

The motor is back together and in the car. It's just sitting there but I hope to have it running within the week, that is if my fuel pump shows up.

IMG00146-20110305-1950.jpg

March 20th, 2011

IT RUNS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJkZGuc7Xs

This was before the rockers were properly adjusted so there is some ticking in the valve train.

It took longer than I was expecting but it runs great, it sounds and revs much better than the last time. I did run into some issues that needed to be resolved, sometimes I wonder what I was thinking at the time. The engine fired right up and oil pressure is at 55psi at ilde once it's warmed up. The fuel pump I'm using was supposed to be a 7 psi unit but it is bouncing between 9 and 11 psi at idle. I already have a Barry Grant bypass regulator to install but I need to redo the lines.

As luck would have it the it's been in the 50's to 60's all week but today it's been raining all day and now they are calling for snow by the end of the week. Oh well I would rather have my car running than good weather. Once I get a chance to hit the road I will get some in car video. I love watching and listening to those.

April 15th, 2011
Between the weather, work, and things that I put off while in the garage I have managed to put 100 miles on my car in the past 3 weeks. the engine has worked out very well, I have only had to make a few minor adjustments.
The only real problem is that it's thirsty, I knew that going into it but at $4 a gallon it's still not a fun experience. Luckily being able to drive it back and forth to work makes the work week more enjoyable. Hopefully things straighten out soon and I will be able to put the miles on faster and get to the real fun.
July 2nd, 2011

Well it's way past time for an update and I was hoping to tell you great stories of the fun I've been having but that’s not the case. The motor has to come back out. I was on my way home from work about two miles from home and I noticed my oil pressure was down 15 psi from normal across the entire range.
When it cooled off I pulled the filter and opened it up to find a bunch of fine metallic shavings in the filter. I was going to send the oil out for analysis but when I went to get a sample I noticed more shavings once the oil settled. I didn't figure I needed to spend $30 to find out that I need to tear my engine apart.

This is the third time in four years this has happened. The last two rebuilds were done by a reputable professional in the Oldsmobile community. The last time he said it was a timing issue that caused detonation. This time around I only had 430 miles on the motor and they were all ***** footing it around town and back and forth to work. I don't remember ever going over 3,500rpm or doing a burnout. I did spin the tires going into second gear a few times (I love doing that).

Right now I am too tired and broke to start over again. The shop did say they will work with me on this one when I am ready. I'm not sure at this point when that will be. I do have a worn out 455 with low oil pressure that runs fine, this will be the fourth time it’s been in the car it just will not die. I am determined to enjoy my car this summer and get it to the track before the season ends. I still have a new nitrous set up and a full bottle to use before the summer is over!

that brings everyone up to speed on where I'm at right now. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be back on the road with a wore out 455. I will keep you posted.

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM
car guy

Cool story and history. I love the old pictures
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Senior Moment Member

Thanks for posting. I know it's kind of a hassle but it's worth it to us. I myself had a problem with my motor after having it rebuilt by a reputable shop. They never saw that motor again. I wasn't going to be kicked in the head twice. It runs fine now. I had my trans rebuilt by a local shop and it whines while the clutch isn't engaged and it is out of gear. I've had it back to the guy twice with no success. The last time, I drove it over to him and said, you take it out. Of course his "crew" did things like put the bolts for the crossmember in upside down.. Things like that drive me crazy. The trans works great, just a little noise I have to put up with. Your car should be deep into the 12s when it's done IMO. Good luck to you.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Great story - thanks for sharing!
Don't give up on it; take the shop's offer on getting it redone - not sure how log they will remember saying that. Racing is a fun hobby, but it IS expensive. Most things are learned the hard and costly way.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Randy C.

That's a neat history on a car that's been "in the family" since Day 1. My story, too, is similar. My 4-4-2 is even from Oregon! But it's a '68 and it started out as a "Brass Hat" (i.e., Zone Manager car) before my dad got it. It then went to my sister, back to my dad, and now to me. The picture to the left is when it first came to the house - that's me and I was 18 then. Now I'm 60 and it is neat to have a little piece of family history that stayed in the family for so long.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0510111115a.jpg (58.1 KB, 14 views)
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM

I love reading all of the stories and build ups on this site, the stories are different but the passion is the same.

I am not sure what my plan is with the motor right now. When I pulled into my driveway that night it was the last time I ran the motor. For all I know it could be a bad oil pressure gauge but I doubt it' my luck with the 400 has not been very good. I figure if I open it up and nothing is wrong I'm only out time and I know that everything is good. If it needs machine work I may hit the shop up for free machining but I will double check and assemble everything myself.

The shop told me the first time that it was detonation that siezed the rods after 2,000 miles but I never heard it ping even once. This time he's telling me that it has to be something external to the engine but I find that hard to believe. I have repalced everything except for the drive shaft. I have had a drivetrian vibration in the past but it is no worse than a tire that was out of balance. I have been running my old 455 for years while trying to isolate the vibration and have had no issues with that engine. When I first started driving with the new engine I had the vibration eliminated. After about 350 miles it started to vibrate again. At first it didn't seem serious but it did seem to get worse. Now I'm not sure if this was the drive line or the motor starting to go south.

I'm not sure anymore where the problem is but my plan is to get everything sorted out with the 455 before trying the 400 again, when the budget allows.
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Getting There

Awesome thread Rob I'll be watching this one but then again I'm a little biased with the year

Last edited by Ranzan; July 7th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:43 AM

Loved the story and the pics.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Nice story + pics!
Nephew had simlar problems with a 'stroker' 455-turned out he forgot to fasten [weld/screw] the pickup tube to the oil pump!
It's together again, running the streets of Rolling Meadows for break-in, going to the track, soon.
He used Rocket Racing for his machine work, and although there was an extended wait, he is very happy with the results.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Nice story + pics!
Nephew had simlar problems with a 'stroker' 455-turned out he forgot to fasten [weld/screw] the pickup tube to the oil pump!
It's together again, running the streets of Rolling Meadows for break-in, going to the track, soon.
He used Rocket Racing for his machine work, and although there was an extended wait, he is very happy with the results.

Rocket Racing is who I used both times, I'm running some of there parts on my engine. There was an extended wait both times. Even though I had no luck with this engine I am not going to say anything bad about Rocket Racing, John has treated me well and said he will work with me to get this sorted out. I just wish it wasn't such an expensive process.

What track will your nephew be running at? I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the track. I live about 40 minutes from Byron and 90 minutes from Union Grove.
This was suppose to be the year I was going to spend a lot of time at the track myself. I started racing my 442 a few years back and love it. I'm not looking to make my car the fastest I just want a solid car that will be a fun driver and fast enough to not be embarassed at the track. If I can get my engine to stay together I think I will have that.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ranzan
Awesome thread Rob I'll be watching this one but then again I'm a little biased with the year
I love em too, they are pretty rare in my area so I was glad to see they are well represented here. I am still a big fan of the 68's as well. Growing up my dad had a 68 Vista Cruiser with a 425 (swapped by PO). That one left a lasting impression on me too.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

love the story reminds me of my car it has been through hell and back but we gotta keep fighting the good fight and keep these rockets on the road and kicking chevy @$$ at the track
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
love the story reminds me of my car it has been through hell and back but we gotta keep fighting the good fight and keep these rockets on the road and kicking chevy @$$ at the track
Thanks, I 'm glad to see mines not the only one thats been beat like a rented mule. I would love to fully restore it someday but right now I'm having too much fun driving it to tear it down. (At least when its running.) I hope to have it back on the road for Byron this year, it will be with my junk motor but I still want to make a couple passes.
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Great story, I hope you get it ironed out!! Rocket racing from what I've read is a very reputable shop. Perhaps they will offer to do the forensics on your motor???
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:52 PM

Rob, thanks for posting your story. I would love it if you could give us some more details about your engine build- blue print clearance specs. John is a good guy to deal with. Did they balance the rotating assembly? Do you have a Halo, or girdle? How heavy are your pistons? Sounds like something is not quite right with your lower end. Maybe a bent or cracked crank? I loved your novel. Sounds like mine. 25 years ago I started, and I'm still going at it. Hell yeah Olds power forever more!
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
Rob, thanks for posting your story. I would love it if you could give us some more details about your engine build- blue print clearance specs. John is a good guy to deal with. Did they balance the rotating assembly? Do you have a Halo, or girdle? How heavy are your pistons? Sounds like something is not quite right with your lower end. Maybe a bent or cracked crank? I loved your novel. Sounds like mine. 25 years ago I started, and I'm still going at it. Hell yeah Olds power forever more!
I've been following your story as well, your doing a great job on the 67. I would love to have a tubbed and caged Olds one day, I just love the look.

So far I have had no issues with Rocket Racing and until I find out whats wrong I can't blame anyone for my problems. Both times they did my motor it was completely machined including line honing and balanced from the harmonic balancer to the flywheel. I am not running a halo or a girdle, I have no intentions of running more than 5500 rpm's. The second go around I never went over 3500 rpm's and it still let go. The second time it was rebuilt I had to use a different crank, the first crank was at max clearence after it was cleaned up.

The motor was built to be a cruiser more than anything. I use it as my daily driver in the summer and wanted something that I could drive to the track, or anywhere else I decided. So I went with a mild rebuild using a VooDoo 80602 cam which was recommended by John at RR. I figured that combination and a 100hp shot of nitrous should make for a fun ride. Once I get the motor straightened out that will be coming out for something a little bigger.

The clearence specs are as follows.
Piston to wall .003
Rod clearence .003
Main clearence .004
Rod side .016-.018
Piston deck .030

Here is a copy of my bob wieght card.
Rod (big end) 625.2 Rod (small end) 273.4
Insert 70.0 Piston 699.3
Total 695.2 Pin 188.6
Rods/throws 2 Locks 0.0
Total 1390.4 Rings 56.5
Oil 4 Total 1217.8
Rotating wt. 1394.4 Recip. wt. 2435.6
Bob wieght 2612.2
Each half 1306.1 Recip. % 50.0
Total body wt. 915.2 Recip. factor 1217.8

if you see anything that looks odd to you pleas elet me know. john thinks it something external to the engine that is causing the problems which I can ubderstand from his side. But I can't figure out what that could be. I have gone through everything except for balancing my driveshaft. My car did have a vibration in it for a while but it was no worse than a tire that was out of balance. when I got the car out this last time there was no vibration at all and it felt like a new car. After about 375 miles I noticed a slight vibration that seemed RPM related, looking back I'm sure that was the beginning of the end.

When you get your Olds running and head for mthe track let me know I would love to check it out. I'm 45 minutes from Byron and 70 minutes from Union Grove.

Rob
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Tony

Rob
Loved the story and pics reminds me of mine but it came from S.Dakota to Wi had house carpet in it and a aftermarket floorshift that would lockup two gears at once. I would have to stop and crawl under it and shift it back into neutrol. Got the 455 back in it yet?
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Great talking to you last week, what time is the show in Partyville? I have a commitment that night but I wouldn"t mind trying to get up there earlier in the day. The 455 is in and with any luck it will be running tomorrow.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:48 AM

Well I finally got the 442 back on the road Saturday night. I took it out for a cruise of the local parks and put about 50 miles on it. The 455 is a little worse for wear than I remebered but it was still great ot be driving it again. The joy didn't last long enough though. After one of the stops when I hit the key I heard an arc and saw a small wisp of smoke. I checked everything over as best as I could in the middle of a dark parking lot and found nothing visibly wrong. I jumped the starter and everything was fine once the car was running. When I got home and back in the garage I tried to restart it and as soon as I hit the key the interior lights went out. So now it's time to start working on the 45 year old electrical system. So far the electrical system is basically as it left the factory.

This could get interesting!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Tony

Sounds like the juntion block connection to me. I think she just wants to get to know you better.
Tony