My 1970 QB code Cutlass 3spd!

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Joe Puleo

My 1970 QB code Cutlass 3spd!

I will try to stay current and update this thread as much as I can.
I purchased this car on April 20th of 2021 and about a week later it arrived to its new home here in northern, GA. A February built California plant QB code Cutlass S. Born with a factory 3 spd. 3.08 "O" rear.
This car still retains all of its factory California emissions equipment including the Air cleaner w/ port hole at the inlet to hook to the charcoal canister.
Over this year which has been complete madness for me between work, having a new 5 month old and along the way losing important family members over the course of the year.
To start, with my older brothers help who is the ultimate Oldsmobile guru and mechanic, fabricator, tuner of anything we've ever owned we decoded the car to make sure all numbers matched the paperwork that came with the car, note whatever stamping we could to verify all parts were born to the car concluding all of which were except distributor and carburetor. Since then I have sourced a correct carb for the car and installed but am still searching for proper distributor.
So here's where I go a bit different route than most. I'm no millionaire and I don't have free time hardly ever. That being said, I will use whatever spare time I have to get this car back to where it should be but, will not be restoring it. I will maintain it as if it were my daily driver but it will not see inclement weather.
October 16th 2021 we removed the trans to replace the clutch set and cut the flywheel. As well, the rear u-joint was replaced because of a tight spot. Trans fluid drained and refilled. Oil and filter changed. a new clutch fork adjustment rod installed (needs new Z bar and bushings)
The car runs and drives very well considering but, I have a long way to go to be where I'd really like it to be.
I will be looking for parts if you have any to sell!! There is a lot to UNDO and REDO the right way on this car!

Loading in Wisconsin

Loading in Wisconsin

Unloading in Augusta GA

Walk around inspection

Drove 2 miles to my house because the development was too tight for tractor trailer

Next morning after arrival!

Sourced the missing trim rings for the correct ss1 wheels from my brothers collection.

Incorrect carb from a 1980s era GM truck removed

Correct carb being installed

Correct carb mounted

Fast forward to end of July 2021, my family lost my father July 17th. Our lives had come to a screeching hault, I hadn’t touched the car in a couple months. My brother was down so we wrenched a bit together to busy our minds. Tuned the new carb and checked over a bunch of things to get the car dialed enough to drive. At this moment, clutch slips big time so that’s next!

Last edited by A1970QB; November 5th, 2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 5th, 2021, 02:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by A1970QB
I purchased this car on April 20th of 2021 and about a week later it arrived to its new home here in northern, GA. A February built California plant QB code Cutlass S. Born with a factory 3 spd. 3.08 "O" rear.
This car still retains all of its factory California emissions equipment including the Air cleaner w/ port hole at the inlet to hook to the charcoal canister.
Over this year which has been complete madness for me between work, having a new 5 month old and along the way losing important family members over the course of the year.
To start, with my older brothers help who is the ultimate Oldsmobile guru and mechanic, fabricator, tuner of anything we've ever owned we decoded the car to make sure all numbers matched the paperwork that came with the car, note whatever stamping we could to verify all parts were born to the car concluding all of which were except distributor and carburetor. Since then I have sourced a correct carb for the car and installed but am still searching for proper distributor.
So here's where I go a bit different route than most. I'm no millionaire and I don't have free time hardly ever. That being said, I will use whatever spare time I have to get this car back to where it should be but, will not be restoring it. I will maintain it as if it were my daily driver but it will not see inclement weather.
October 16th 2021 we removed the trans to replace the clutch set and cut the flywheel. As well, the rear u-joint was replaced because of a tight spot. Trans fluid drained and refilled. Oil and filter changed. a new clutch fork adjustment rod installed (needs new Z bar and bushings)
The car runs and drives very well considering but, I have a long way to go to be where I'd really like it to be.
I will be looking for parts if you have any to sell!! There is a lot to UNDO and REDO the right way on this car!
Very cool. Is it a column shift three speed or floor shift with the Muncie trans?
Old November 5th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Joe Puleo

floor shift m14!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Very cool. Is it a column shift three speed or floor shift with the Muncie trans?
Old November 5th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

floor shift m14!
Nice.
Old November 5th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Administrator

This thread needs pictures...
Old November 5th, 2021, 02:59 PM

Will be watching your progress with interest as I too have an unrestored burgundy mist QB car. Is this the car that was for sale in Wisconsin?
You may have already researched this but there is a good document in the archives of ClassicOldsmobile that identifies the differences with the QB model cars. A local friend will be bringing a twilight blue QB car back from the dead in the future too. Any pictures in its current condition?
Old November 5th, 2021, 04:20 PM
Joe Puleo

I’d love to see yours! This car has been repainted for sure!!! But I’m gonna fix that. Touch ups here and there but luckily a california car and it’s so damn solid. No frame, floor, body mount, trunk rot anywhere. Passenger rear lower quarter has a big bubble. The first bit of pics is when I first got it however it was condition wise. I’ve started mainly on mechanicals to make it run smooth, drive straight and stop correctly. Last will be cosmetics most likely. I just want the survivor story teller car. Not all dolled up but driven and maintained properly.
Originally Posted by Ctls442
Will be watching your progress with interest as I too have an unrestored burgundy mist QB car. Is this the car that was for sale in Wisconsin?
You may have already researched this but there is a good document in the archives of ClassicOldsmobile that identifies the differences with the QB model cars. A local friend will be bringing a twilight blue QB car back from the dead in the future too. Any pictures in its current condition?
Old November 5th, 2021, 04:33 PM
Banned

You just gotta love a coupe. Cool car. Factory colors? Do you have any interior pictures? Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Old November 5th, 2021, 05:38 PM

I’d love to see yours! This car has been repainted for sure!!! But I’m gonna fix that. Touch ups here and there but luckily a california car and it’s so damn solid. No frame, floor, body mount, trunk rot anywhere. Passenger rear lower quarter has a big bubble. The first bit of pics is when I first got it however it was condition wise. I’ve started mainly on mechanicals to make it run smooth, drive straight and stop correctly. Last will be cosmetics most likely. I just want the survivor story teller car. Not all dolled up but driven and maintained properly.
Pm sent.
Old November 5th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Joe Puleo

Yes, factory burgundy mist with white hardtop! Stripes are obviously incorrect and will be fixed along the way 🙄. I will load some interior pictures here soon.
Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
You just gotta love a coupe. Cool car. Factory colors? Do you have any interior pictures? Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Old November 5th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

FYI. For those unsure regarding differences between a QV and a QB coded 1970 Cutlass S, as I was.
Very cool cars!

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...from-the-rest/
Old November 5th, 2021, 08:03 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Joe Puleo welcome, and you gotta love your QB Coupe. It looks good now, and with a little tlc, it can be a knockout.

I resided many years in Augusta, but have now relocated to the foothills of the Blue Ridge Montains in North Georgia. Sorry to learn of the loss of your family members. That can be hard as we all know.

Enjoy working on your car as that is the way is should be. Happy Motoring!
Old November 5th, 2021, 09:49 PM

What's the dealer tag? These usually don't last this long...

Old November 6th, 2021, 06:07 AM
Joe Puleo

Unfortunately not a dealer tag, just a “hurst equipped” emblem. Although I do have the build sheet with original selling dealer.
Originally Posted by v8al
What's the dealer tag? These usually don't last this long...

Old November 6th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Joe Puleo

October 14 2021- loaded up to head to New York for a 10 day vaca

South of the Border first stop northbound

Arrived in New York 10/15/21

Unloaded to remove trans and replace clutch

Brothers 69 w-car

Trans removed

Tag intact and RM stamping still evident

Vin matched

Flywheel being cut

Clutch reinstalled, now testing adjustment.
Old November 6th, 2021, 11:30 AM

Nice car and very nice colour combo
Alain red W-31
Old November 6th, 2021, 01:34 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Curious to know if you found one of these under your clutch fork?

Old November 6th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Joe Puleo

I most certainly did not! But, this clutch has definitely been replaced before. It was not the original and honestly we think the wrong throughout bearing is still in there?!
Originally Posted by tnswt
Curious to know if you found one of these under your clutch fork?
Old November 6th, 2021, 01:54 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

And I don’t know if you should have one since you have a M14; my car has the M21. I just assumed it should be there. Most all these clutch fork stud rings have been tossed, misplaced, or purposely left out of re-installs in the past.

It’s my understanding they are not reproduced, and are rather rare finds today, and that is the reason I asked. I was lucky enough to find this ring installed when I replaced the clutch in my ’70 442 last year. I saw a post on here at one-time where a guy actually reproduced the part himself. Assuming again, that the purpose for this ring is to enhance the clutch pedal experience.

Just one small piece out of thousands that one finds on a car. By the way, what name-brand clutch did you install?

Last edited by tnswt; November 6th, 2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old November 9th, 2021, 07:18 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Cool QB car! I've been following your posts on Facebook. Love seeing another M-14 3 speed, too.
Old November 9th, 2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by vCode442
FYI. For those unsure regarding differences between a QV and a QB coded 1970 Cutlass S, as I was.
Very cool cars!

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...from-the-rest/
Neat article/car and wonder where they came up with a QB production total # like this stated in article "531 QB-code Oldsmobiles were built in late 1970"
Old November 9th, 2021, 07:48 AM
Joe Puleo

Thank you, I’m trying to share as much of the car as I can and hopefully soon attend some shows!
Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Cool QB car! I've been following your posts on Facebook. Love seeing another M-14 3 speed, too.
Old November 9th, 2021, 08:23 AM

Really great Score ! I bet that thing is tough on that RR tire ! I suspect my F85 Rallye M21 3.91 was a QB but will never be able to prove it, parts were long gone. They are strong runners and from what original cars I have found data on they run very close to the times of stock W31 car.

Loading in Wisconsin

Loading in Wisconsin

Unloading in Augusta GA

Walk around inspection

Drove 2 miles to my house because the development was too tight for tractor trailer

Next morning after arrival!

Sourced the missing trim rings for the correct ss1 wheels from my brothers collection.

Incorrect carb from a 1980s era GM truck removed

Correct carb being installed

Correct carb mounted

Fast forward to end of July 2021, my family lost my father July 17th. Our lives had come to a screeching hault, I hadn’t touched the car in a couple months. My brother was down so we wrenched a bit together to busy our minds. Tuned the new carb and checked over a bunch of things to get the car dialed enough to drive. At this moment, clutch slips big time so that’s next!
Old November 9th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Joe Puleo

thanks! I’m siked about it. That’s too bad! I run the Facebook QB registry and am trying to fill all or most of the 531 spots to which QB cars still exist today! It’s a good runner still needs some tweaks and whatnot! This is a 3spd 3.08 open “O” rear.
i may one day consider pulling the drivetrain out and putting something else in for “fun” without risking blowing up a number matched drivertrain/powertrain.
Originally Posted by GEARMAN69
Really great Score ! I bet that thing is tough on that RR tire ! I suspect my F85 Rallye M21 3.91 was a QB but will never be able to prove it, parts were long gone. They are strong runners and from what original cars I have found data on they run very close to the times of stock W31 car.
Old November 9th, 2021, 09:12 AM

thanks! I’m siked about it. That’s too bad! I run the Facebook QB registry and am trying to fill all or most of the 531 spots to which QB cars still exist today! It’s a good runner still needs some tweaks and whatnot! This is a 3spd 3.08 open “O” rear.
i may one day consider pulling the drivetrain out and putting something else in for “fun” without risking blowing up a number matched drivertrain/powertrain.
or bore and stroke it 4.0" to over 420 CID !

What is the earliest Body Cowl tag body date in the QB registry ?
Old November 9th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Joe Puleo

So far I think my car being built in February is the earliest one we’ve found so far, but I have a feeling there has to be 1 or a few built before then. Still searching and adding to my list, hopefully within a few years I’ll have a solid spreadsheet of owners along with any and all documentation with dates available.
or bore and stroke it 4.0" to over 420 CID !

What is the earliest Body Cowl tag body date in the QB registry ?
Old November 9th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Joe Puleo

Last week new PYPES exhaust system installed. Finally got rid of the junky cherry bomb duals with horrid tips. If only I could figure out how to upload a video clip of the exhaust note now.

What a change 1 year was. I’ve loved my brothers car forever, partially because it’s all I’ve known for 34 yrs but also because I think it’s the stylish design through the years of our era vehicles. There’s nothing else like them. The 70 model has certainly grown on me, I just have a thing for all classics in one way or another.

*Note the historical timeline wall of my brothers ‘69 f85 w-31 car. 1 of 212 made.

Hoods up in the Olds cave
Old November 9th, 2021, 09:26 AM

So far I think my car being built in February is the earliest one we’ve found so far, but I have a feeling there has to be 1 or a few built before then. Still searching and adding to my list, hopefully within a few years I’ll have a solid spreadsheet of owners along with any and all documentation with dates available.
My stick Rallye is 01C body tag date. My gut says the bulletin came out very close to Rallye introduction and may have been related to spice up the stick new Rallye

"The Rallye 350 was introduced on February 18, 1970, by Oldsmobile General Manager John Beltz and made its debut at the 1970 Chicago Auto Show. However, some were built as early as the second week of January 1970."

My Rallye 350 parts car was a 01A body tag so probably was a 2nd week Jan built car.

"The QB engine first starts showing up in the engineering drawings in late November, 1969. But it wouldn't surprise me if it took some weeks or even months to be installed on the line."

Last edited by GEARMAN69; November 9th, 2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old November 9th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Any plans to add a LSD to that 3.08 RP ?
Old November 9th, 2021, 04:20 PM

Joe, Thank you for taking the lead on the registry as this will be good historical information. I too have wondered what the threshold date was for QB engines to be start being installed. My car was built very late in the model year so it won't answer the start date question. These cars are under the radar so to speak as many knowledgeable Oldsmobile people have never heard of a QB code 1970 Cutlass.
Old November 9th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Banned

Acid will really make that car run...🥴
Old November 9th, 2021, 06:16 PM
72 Olds CS

Nice looking 70 !!! and your bros 69 too
Old November 10th, 2021, 04:46 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Acid will really make that car run...🥴
Put down the pipes and spoons and straws please.. Limited Slip Differential

Last edited by GEARMAN69; November 10th, 2021 at 05:10 AM.
Old November 10th, 2021, 07:58 AM
Joe Puleo

absolutely! I look forward to you following along and sharing your car on the registry if you’d like! Slowly we can bring to light the rarity of the QB code.
Originally Posted by Ctls442
Joe, Thank you for taking the lead on the registry as this will be good historical information. I too have wondered what the threshold date was for QB engines to be start being installed. My car was built very late in the model year so it won't answer the start date question. These cars are under the radar so to speak as many knowledgeable Oldsmobile people have never heard of a QB code 1970 Cutlass.
Old November 10th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Joe Puleo

thank you! Will be sharing as much as I can when time allows.
Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Nice looking 70 !!! and your bros 69 too
Old November 10th, 2021, 08:00 AM
Joe Puleo

Maybe im not totally sure. “O” rear parts are hard enough to find so I may put a different rear in there to not compromise the number matching rear.
Old November 10th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Maybe im not totally sure. “O” rear parts are hard enough to find so I may put a different rear in there to not compromise the number matching rear.
My 70 Cutlass Cruiser wagon came with a open 3.08 1970 Type O and with diligence I scored the correct unit from a member here and mated up to my original gears and the pinion has never been out ! Plus they are rebuildable similar to a Corp 8.5 design
Old November 10th, 2021, 08:10 AM
Joe Puleo

if I could score a setup like that I would absolutely consider it! Would love to have a posi rear but then again it’s not how the car came. Seems as though my car may be 1 of less than 60 cars available with a 3 spd optioned the way it is so I’m being somewhat careful with it.
My 70 Cutlass Cruiser wagon came with a open 3.08 1970 Type O and with diligence I scored the correct unit from a member here and mated up to my original gears and the pinion has never been out ! Plus they are rebuildable similar to a Corp 8.5 design
Old November 10th, 2021, 08:14 AM

if I could score a setup like that I would absolutely consider it! Would love to have a posi rear but then again it’s not how the car came. Seems as though my car may be 1 of less than 60 cars available with a 3 spd optioned the way it is so I’m being somewhat careful with it.
Well I would keep the 3 speed for sure. #671 differential is what ya need so back tire wear together

#673 = 2.56 & 2.78 ratios, 28 spline
#671 = 3.08 & 3.23 ratios, 28 spline (got one in my 70 wagon)
#588 = 3.42 & anything numerically higher, 28 spline (got one in my 70 F85 Rallye 350)
#672 = 3.42 & anything numerically higher, 31 spline (had one but sold it)

Last edited by GEARMAN69; November 10th, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old November 11th, 2021, 08:01 AM
Joe Puleo

3 spd will for sure stay! but ill be keeping my eye out. I appreciate the numbers thats a huge help!

Well I would keep the 3 speed for sure. #671 differential is what ya need so back tire wear together

#673 = 2.56 & 2.78 ratios, 28 spline
#671 = 3.08 & 3.23 ratios, 28 spline (got one in my 70 wagon)
#588 = 3.42 & anything numerically higher, 28 spline (got one in my 70 F85 Rallye 350)
#672 = 3.42 & anything numerically higher, 31 spline (had one but sold it)

Quick Reply: My 1970 QB code Cutlass 3spd!