Mike's 67 trak pak

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:07 AM

Mike's 67 trak pak

This is a continuation of my NEWBIE thread.
I'm bringing her home from the painter later today. I'm looking forward to the rebuild!

I have some pics but they are too big to upload. Can anyone tell me how to resize them? Thanks
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:51 AM

trying pic again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_01151.JPG (168.3 KB, 174 views)
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM

The car looks great. Is that paint code 'D' - Crystal Blue?
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM

Thanks much. It is D code. It's pretty close to what I remember...looks a shade darker if not in direct sunlight.
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:46 AM

I have a 67 Vista project that is the same exterior and interior colors as your 442. The original paint on it has pretty much been burned off from the sun so I was wondering what it would look like with fresh paint. I love how yours has turned out. If I ever get around to working on it, it will definitely go back to the original color like yours has.
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:25 AM

That Vista would look great in this color. When you get ready I will be glad to get the brand info from my painter. I don't think it was available from PPG.
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM

That would be great. If the guy who painted yours is available, I might look him up. My Vista is in Columbus, so it wouldn't be too bad of a trip to get it over your way.
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM

I would be glad to introduce you. He is a brick mason by trade and does paint work at home part time. He takes in one at a time so you have to get in line. He was doing an old Falcon and waiting on parts so he took mine in.
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Great looking project Mike. I just watched a slideshow of your photo bucket album. You really have come a long way with this beast. It's easy to post photos. Just go to your album, place the curser over the image you want to post, some boxes will apear underneath. Right click on the bottom one (IMG code) select copy, then paste it into the text like this-
IMG_0118.jpg
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Ever notice the first thing that goes on a 442 after paint are the emblems? My car at this point has no engine, trans, glass, or interior, but thise side scoops went on first!
DSCN1486.jpg
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:33 AM

Thanks "Freak"! The rebuild is going a lot slower than I like. I'll post new pics when available. Yep, "Grandpa", I always thought the original 442 emblems were sharp and really set off the paint. I notice you have a 65. Be sure to post some pics as the 65 is my first love! When I turned 21 I bought a new red over black 65, 4spd, posi. I've been kicking my butt for 40 years for getting rid of it.
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Very nice!

I wish my paint shined like that! Makes me want to move forward and have it painted.

Keep the updates coming!
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Thanks Drew. You have a fine 'rag-top' there. Funny how I thought the Crystal blue was kind of rare but now that I have one they seem to be everywhere!
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by miked
Thanks Drew. You have a fine 'rag-top' there. Funny how I thought the Crystal blue was kind of rare but now that I have one they seem to be everywhere!
Well if it helps any, my car was originally Maroon, the last owner decided to change the color. That's why I have no shine, he and a buddy did it. I am not sure I could do as bad of a job if I tried. Not sure what I am going to do about it yet. The car still looks cool but not nice when you get right on top of it.

Good luck with your, It really does look great!
Old July 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Vacation is over and time to get back to work! I have a couple of reassembly questions that I haven't been able to find answers to in any of my manuals.
1. Do the washer nozzles mount on TOP of the cowl weatherstrip or do they punch THRU the strip?

2. Does the trunk divider panel just hang on the hooks inside the pass area behind rear seat or does it mount in the trunk so the body braces are not visible in the trunk?

Thanks for any help and pics would be appreciated!
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM

Mike, I believe the nozzles are punched thru the rubber. I just looked at my parts car and that is how they are. It would make sense cause the hood would still close on the rubber seal. My repro trunk divider was hung on the seat prongs. I may put some small screws in it too on the cross braces to secure it better but the rear seat should hold it as well. The original one has the ends slit where it curves so the turn can be made with the cardboard and it was glued there also.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM

THANKS MUCH JOE! Once again you have come to the rescue! I kind of thought the same as you on the nozzles and my painter said his Chevelle was that way but wanted to make sure. I will surely have more "little" questions as I proceed and really appreciate all input.
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM

Reached another milestone...trunk about finished. Note battery tender pig tail on battery. It can be removed easily. I want to install one of the battery disconnects but the one I got from Har Frgt won't work...the post is too small for my pos bat cable. Will keep looking. The wheel really needs a red-stripe...tire, not beer (ha)!
IMG_0119.jpg
Picture002.jpg
Picture004.jpg
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Reached another milestone...trunk about finished. Note battery tender pig tail on battery. It can be removed easily. I want to install one of the battery disconnects but the one I got from Har Frgt won't work...the post is too small for my pos bat cable. Will keep looking. The wheel really needs a red-stripe...tire, not beer (ha)!

Lookin Good Mike --- Did you get your track pack stuff from Curt A. ??? Looks like youre following right along in mine and Joe's footsteps on the project. Just wait till the day you get her runnin and take it for its first spin!!
Joed gotts fix his clutch first before he can take that spin!! LOL ( pokey at ya Joe) LOL
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM

Yeah it does look good!. I am jealous of you guys as my paint and body work seems so far away and laborious. Mike get some more shots of body and interior.
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Thnx "ches". Rebuild is going waaaay too slow! I got the trak pak from various sources. Did not know about Curt until I joined here. I need his contact info. I had the air shroud saved from junkyard engine I installed in my 65 back in 1969. I got the nos vent from Ray Arnold in Tex, the scoops from thegoodoldsdays.com, and cables and horn wire from American Autowire, OIA hoses and c-brackets from OPG. I need the correct batt top hold down. Also need to get E block as I am currently running a G block. Also many thnx to Joe and others for templates and install instructs. Yep, can't wait to get 'er back on the road!
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:16 AM

I got my holdown from Fusick. I did have to modify it as in cut and weld to get it to work correctly and hold down the battery vent cover. It is just the factory style non W30 hold down. The OAI kit does not list a different battery hold down as being furnished back in the day.
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Joe I hope to add more pics of body soon. Got my hood back and installed this week. Painter had to redo it 3 times !(he wasn't happy with some body work then a spider fell on it and left too many feet prints to work out without restripping and paint). I wasn't in hurry for it as it would just be in the way. Got to get those devilish fender extends and filler installed. No interior yet...got to pull column and redo it then firewall insulation etc.
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM

I'm useing Fusick also and just assumed there was a special one for W30. In the install pics it looks like it is offset to clear vent but hard to tell. I will probably end up doing the cut/weld trick.
I'm now working on running the batt cables...install shows the neg cable being bolted to frame with nut/washer. How in heck do you get the nut inside the frame? I just drilled and tapped for 3/8 bolt and it seems to work, hope it grounds good...also did that up front for ground cables. I've got to get a 3/4 hole saw for + cable hole. One good thing about doing a "customer install" is we can fudge on some stuff just like we would have done back in the day.
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Mike if you can see on my thread there is pictures of rear battery frame mount and + cable. The + cable hole was already there and it was tight but got a rubber grommet and cable to fit. The neg cable back there had a slot so I could fish a bolt in there and nut it on the outside. Here is a scan of stuff in the OAI kit. Errr , I see now that there appears to have been a different holdown/retainer for the W30....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
uw3.JPG (59.8 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; July 20th, 2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more ingo
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Thnx "ches". Rebuild is going waaaay too slow! I got the trak pak from various sources. Did not know about Curt until I joined here. I need his contact info. I had the air shroud saved from junkyard engine I installed in my 65 back in 1969. I got the nos vent from Ray Arnold in Tex, the scoops from thegoodoldsdays.com, and cables and horn wire from American Autowire, OIA hoses and c-brackets from OPG. I need the correct batt top hold down. Also need to get E block as I am currently running a G block. Also many thnx to Joe and others for templates and install instructs. Yep, can't wait to get 'er back on the road!
Curt has the batty holdown (it aint cheap)and any other little stuff you need including correct hose clamps for the OIA hoses. Do you have original red inner fenders? or using the repops?
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Project Grandpa
Ever notice the first thing that goes on a 442 after paint are the emblems? My car at this point has no engine, trans, glass, or interior, but thise side scoops went on first!

Its almost impossible to put those fender emblems on with the fenders installed. If you want to do it all once you put the emblems and trim on the fenders, then the fenders on the car.
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM

"ches", do you have contact info for Curt? I'll probably put the hold down on my Santa list. I'm not planning to use plastic liners, those go on wish list too (or until I win the lottery).
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Curt will be at the OCA Nationals Friday and Saturday. Tweed, drag that 67 to Reno and we will see how my clutch is doing
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Curt will be at the OCA Nationals Friday and Saturday. Tweed, drag that 67 to Reno and we will see how my clutch is doing
Dont be so vain Joe - the clutch comment was aimed ad Joe Blu(Oldsmaniac) - not U!! I think you need to let Woody take another stab at your clutch!!
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Mike if you can see on my thread there is pictures of rear battery frame mount and + cable. The + cable hole was already there and it was tight but got a rubber grommet and cable to fit. The neg cable back there had a slot so I could fish a bolt in there and nut it on the outside. Here is a scan of stuff in the OAI kit. Errr , I see now that there appears to have been a different holdown/retainer for the W30....
Joe - I was about to "call you out" on that comment about not showing a different holddown for W30. Both of you "cheapskates" - spend that moldy money and buy the correct one from Curt! Lord knows he could use the bux!!
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Mike - just looked at ur photobucket! Did you do the dash resto yourself? If not - who did it? I need to get mine redone this winter. I have a brand new NOS black dashpad for it that i found at a swap meet!! I have a Tic Toc dash but wasnt going to use it because my original car didnt have it. So I will sell it to someone that really wants one!
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Yep, I did the dash but it looks a lot better in pic. Taping is a B----! I used Dupli-color chrome and it did ok but when taping over it it came off or smeared. Guess overall the dash is ok. I ended up with extra tic-toc unit also.
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Joe - I was about to "call you out" on that comment about not showing a different holddown for W30. Both of you "cheapskates" - spend that moldy money and buy the correct one from Curt! Lord knows he could use the bux!!
Well I figured I could cheap out on the holdown cause you dont really see it and If I can make something work why pay the extra bux?! And mine is not a real W car anyway and the conversion was done sorta hurridly I am guessing as they never ran the + cable thru the frame but thru the trunk and interior and out the speedo grommet..... so I am pretty sure my car was not a dealer install job. Also I am a little skeptical about Curts's repro stuff.... the batt vent I got from him was warped noticeably, barely did it cover the battery fill caps and the vent nipple on top fell off as soon as I tried to put a hose on it and it was not cheap like me!! LOL I know your trying to rattle our cages some...Oh did ya get your parking brake cable yet or are the knots still on it!! Ahem! LOL PS 13.30's on a tired 400 aint bad! Sorry Mike I had to jab him a little!
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM

"the batt vent I got from him was warped noticeably, barely did it cover the battery fill caps and the vent nipple on top fell off as soon as I tried to put a hose on it "

The OEM and NOS battery covers were bowed. The OEM nipples in the covers were thin and reinforced with a white nylon insert. My cover from Curt was shaped like my NOS ones and has held up fine. Curt didn't want me to use my NOS stuff on the Rund re-creation so we worked a deal for his repro stuff.

"Dont be so vain Joe - the clutch comment was aimed ad Joe Blu(Oldsmaniac) - not U!! I think you need to let Woody take another stab at your clutch!! "
Tweed, I can't help it, I'm sensitive about clutches. I have had more clutches in my Rund car than you have had oil filters in your White Power car, lol. Three this year. First was the one that it turned out was roasted at Lebanon Valley. Next I tried too little clamp load because all the stick racers swear that the 5135 disk needs less than 1000 lb. clampload. Wrong! 1100 wouldn't begin to hold it. So the third setup this year is the same sintered disk with 1365 + rollers and it holds fine.

Oh, I got Woody to autograph the disk he roasted at Beech Bend!

And, I noticed that you skated around my challenge to tow your car to Reno. If I could tow 2950 miles one way to Sturbridge, surely you could make the short tow a couple states to the west of Ohio
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM

"the batt vent I got from him was warped noticeably, barely did it cover the battery fill caps and the vent nipple on top fell off as soon as I tried to put a hose on it "

The OEM and NOS battery covers were bowed. The OEM nipples in the covers were thin and reinforced with a white nylon insert. My cover from Curt was shaped like my NOS ones and has held up fine. Curt didn't want me to use my NOS stuff on the Rund re-creation so we worked a deal for his repro stuff.
Thanks for the explanation on that cover. Now I wont assume I just got a junk part. I apologize to Curt as well.
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Finally got bat cables run...the + one was a lot of fun!

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Looks like a nice job Mike! But I DO think you could have used some LONGER sheet metal screws in that floor plug!!! LMAO!!
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Glad to see you are making progress. For my + cable I did not like that it blindly just laid on the frame inside up and over the axle. I felt up in some of the holes and it felt like same pointy metal was there from the factory welds so I got a piece of rubber hose to sheath the + cable in that area so it could hopefully prevent grounding shoud the cable insulation rub thru.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM

"Dont be so vain Joe - the clutch comment was aimed ad Joe Blu(Oldsmaniac) - not U!! I think you need to let Woody take another stab at your clutch!! "
Tweed, I can't help it, I'm sensitive about clutches. I have had more clutches in my Rund car than you have had oil filters in your White Power car, lol. Three this year. First was the one that it turned out was roasted at Lebanon Valley. Next I tried too little clamp load because all the stick racers swear that the 5135 disk needs less than 1000 lb. clampload. Wrong! 1100 wouldn't begin to hold it. So the third setup this year is the same sintered disk with 1365 + rollers and it holds fine.

Oh, I got Woody to autograph the disk he roasted at Beech Bend!

And, I noticed that you skated around my challenge to tow your car to Reno. If I could tow 2950 miles one way to Sturbridge, surely you could make the short tow a couple states to the west of Ohio
Joe -- have fun in Reno --- really would like to be there but I just didnt want to tow that far with my old open trailer. I hope to have an enclosed trailer by next year!
I guess I will just have to let Ron Krier do my "dirty work" for me with his 69 H/O!

Quick Reply: Mike's 67 trak pak