Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 09:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Well, I have to tell you Richard that your paint looks awesome from the pictures. Sorry to hear about the hood, is it that noticeable?

Also, how far away are you from taking it out on a test drive so you can start to enjoy all your hard work?

Keep the pics coming.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Well, I have to tell you Richard that your paint looks awesome from the pictures. Sorry to hear about the hood, is it that noticeable?

Also, how far away are you from taking it out on a test drive so you can start to enjoy all your hard work?

Keep the pics coming.
Getting real close. I wanted to try for a show this Sunday but its going to be pushing it.

I little more assembly tonight. I got the grill on and noticed it had the same silver paint from the side mlds. I was faded and kinda nasty so I pulled it back off and spent a few hours painting it the dark gray I've been using.

Old May 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Looking like a real car now. Close Oh so close............................
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:09 PM

I'm getting goose bumps!
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM

The only bad news is when you're finished, the thread I've enjoyed so much will unfortunately end.

How did you resolve the hood fit issue? I missed the end of that chapter.

I award you with the much coveted "Jamesbos good thread award"
Attached Images
File Type: gif
chimp.gif (5.9 KB, 619 views)
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The only bad news is when you're finished, the thread I've enjoyed so much will unfortunately end.
no end....watch for the 455 build and install in the future

How did you resolve the hood fit issue? I missed the end of that chapter.
copied from the other thread

Figured it out this morning. It was late last night and my brain had shut down. I pulled the hinges back off and could make them seat all the way but they got tight at the end. I had already lubed them before installing but I did not work them in. I lubed the crap of them this time and and worked them about 50 times. The lithium grease started turning a nasty brown all aroud the pivot points. My guess is when I had them cad plated some of the chemical stayed in the joints and rusted up a little. I sprayed all the grease and brown gook out with carb cleaner relubed and reworked. Now the hood shuts better than any old car I have ever owned.

I award you with the much coveted "Jamesbos good thread award"
I'm honored
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM

HOT D*&N that thing is looking purdy. As usual...Stunning work Richard.
PS thanks for your thoughts on the 68.
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Ben

Go Richard Go!!!!

I can't wait to see some pics of it all together sitting on those rims!
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Great work - its looking nice!
Let me know when the cerimonial first drive will be and I will bring the champaign and beer! I bet you are itching to do that first burnout...

Last edited by gearheads78; May 21st, 2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Great work - its looking nice!
Let me know when the cerimonial first drive will be and I will bring the champaign and beer! I bet you are itching to do that first burnout...
LOL...dont think I am going to do much tire turning quite yet. Stock 330 and 285mm wide rear tires

Now I am just teasing myself. LOL Few small details and need to add an exhaust system. After 14 months I can drive it again. I got a universal 2.25" Abody system from Summit. I hope to be able to build it this weekend.

Old May 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM

Lookin good Richard. Your almost there. You'll breeze right through that exhaust system, then take her out for a test drive. We expect pictures once you get her outside. Good luck
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
car guy

Gonna have to farm out the exhaust. The kit I got will not even get close to clearing my rear tires. I could fix it myself but it will take me too long so I am just going to let a pro fix it.

I got it aligned this morning. It took a little while. I had never used and aligment machine and the tech helping me is used to Lexus vehicles not old hod rods with custom suspension. Once I figured out what made what change it went pretty smooth but it was a leaning curve for both of us.

I did find a small problem. I drove it next door to our body shop because several guys have been waiting to see it. Well sitting there only 15 minutes the LH front tire was almost flat. It turns out the valve stems hit the calipers up front and damaged one of them causing it to leak.
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Richard:

I don't know if you have a muffler shop or not. Jon's Muffler here in Rowlett is very good. The guy that runs it and owns it is Jeff (bought it from Jon). I think he is reasonable and a very good guy. Just be patient because he does not get in a hurry. I have had him do three cars.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Richard:

I don't know if you have a muffler shop or not. Jon's Muffler here in Rowlett is very good. The guy that runs it and owns it is Jeff (bought it from Jon). I think he is reasonable and a very good guy. Just be patient because he does not get in a hurry. I have had him do three cars.
Thanks I have someone in mind but if he can't get to it in time I may give him a call.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Looking good Richard this is pure motivation for me!
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM

I've been keeping up on your progress and wanted to let you know if you didn't already find out. I have a set of flush mount valve stems on my wheels. Got em at Discount tire. Actually a pretty neat deal.
<S> I salute you.<S>
derrick
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
I've been keeping up on your progress and wanted to let you know if you didn't already find out. I have a set of flush mount valve stems on my wheels. Got em at Discount tire. Actually a pretty neat deal.
<S> I salute you.<S>
derrick
I picked up some stubby rubber ones at Discount Tire today at lunch. Appointment is set for the exhaust shop for Thursday. I might finally get to drive it this weekend.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM

These are what I have. All you can see is the round cap that covers it. Nearly invisible unless you are looking for it. The core is the short style and it's recessed.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92040_06.htm
We painted the caps black on my buddies Denali with the black 22s. They look nice.
I'd take a pic but his wife claimed it as hers.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM

These are what I have. All you can see is the round cap that covers it. Nearly invisible unless you are looking for it. The core is the short style and it's recessed.
We painted the caps black on my buddies Denali with the black 22s. They look nice.
I'd take a pic but his wife claimed it as hers. They fit the standard valve stem size but maybe someone makes them for the bigger ones too.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
I'd take a pic but his wife claimed it as hers. They fit the standard valve stem size but maybe someone makes them for the bigger ones too.
The only thing about those for my application is they would be hard to use. My valve stems face out but mount at the back side of the wheel on the hoop. You have to put your hands through the spokes to get to them.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Yes, I know what you mean. Mine are inside the rim too. I just thought they are pretty neat. I still have 4 wheel drums but discs are on the way. I like the way they are pretty much invisible. We were kicking around the garage and a buddy noticed them. There's an adapter to fill them up.The only tough part as far as mine go is when I have calipers and if the core was there, I'd have to roll the car a foot or so.
You have made a rolling art display, and not my old uncle Art either.:-)
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:23 PM
car guy

The end is near.............
Well my punch out list is down to just a few items. I finally get to drive it in the next day or two. I have forced myself from starting to drive it because I would not want to go back and finish some details I have been working on. Finally time to reap some rewards of my labor and way too much $$ spent.
Here is the exhaust I had put on last week.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM

I haven't commented on this thread much, but always look when its updated. Richard, if my car turns out half as good, I'll be happy with the result. OUTSTANDING!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM

Close oh so close. Next picture outside the garage with you behind the wheel with big smile on face? Hope so. Great job
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by csouth
I haven't commented on this thread much, but always look when its updated. Richard, if my car turns out half as good, I'll be happy with the result. OUTSTANDING!
Its really not that hard. Just make a plan that fits your buget knowing it will go a little over but do your best to stick with it. Just take your time, know what you want and if something comes out not quite to your satisfaction then redo it till you are happy. Your own labor it free. You have to eat an elephant one bite at a time. Make the whole thing just a bunch of mini projects while keeping you end goal in mind.

I have tinkered with cars my whole life. I have aways had asperations to go this far with a project but have had 4-5 other things going on at once. The best thing I did was sell everything else off to build this car.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM

"You have to eat an elephant one bite at a time..." Gotta love that! I guess I know what I want my finished product to be and they are simple comapared to yours. That quote alone makes the task seem more attainable... I like everyone else just cant wait to see pics of it on the road...
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Banned

wow,this was a lot work,and well done!!
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by agtw31
wow,this was a lot work,and well done!!
Thanks....I will be a Goodguys Columbus OH this July. Come check it out if you get a chance.
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:19 AM

Sweet

Only I would give your helper a matching child seat
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Captain of my ship

WOW

Richard that is one awesome Oldsmobile. Very nice job. I am jealous and hope to get mine finished soon but been working too much on other stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
007.jpg (83.5 KB, 48 views)
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap, Standing ovation! Great job Richard and the matching pink childs seat is outstanding
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
car guy

Only I would give your helper a matching child seat
and and take away her pink. I'd rather fight a badger
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Absolutely incredible! A+++++ on the craftsmanship!
Although my project won't be as detailed or perfect looking as yours, your project has helped to motivate and inspire me to work on my project and I thank you for that!
Maybe some day I'll get to see it in person.
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM

AWESOME job,A+,she's a real head turner. You say you'll be at the good-guys car show here in Cols.OH ? I live 15 min. from the center, will have to make it down there. Time to enjoy the ride
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass
Absolutely incredible! A+++++ on the craftsmanship!
Although my project won't be as detailed or perfect looking as yours, your project has helped to motivate and inspire me to work on my project and I thank you for that!
Maybe some day I'll get to see it in person.
I am glad I could inspire. I get motivated the same way by looking at what others have done. The problem is used to be that came from 2-3 magazine subscriptions. You look at pictures and read cover to cover and go work on your car for the rest of the month. Now with the internet its like a new magazine every few hours. Sometimes to you have to break away from the getting insired to getting outside and doing something.

Originally Posted by AJCDFIN
AWESOME job,A+,she's a real head turner. You say you'll be at the good-guys car show here in Cols.OH ? I live 15 min. from the center, will have to make it down there. Time to enjoy the ride
Say hello when you are there
Old June 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
car guy

Some last minute clean up and assembly done. Here are some final pics from getting it out today.

Old June 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM

OMG I miss 2 months of postings and it is done. Wow is all I can say I have been catching up on the posts and it turned out so sweet, now I got to get out there on my vert and get started. I will be posting pics as you have so keep watching maybe we can go to some show and shines together I am north of you in Oklahoma if your ever up this way stop on by.....again great job!!
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Registered Luser

Congrats on getting it back on the road Richard! She is sharp...we all can appreciate the hard work you put in, and the results show! I love the pic with the caliper showing....
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by OKIEOLDS
OMG I miss 2 months of postings and it is done. Wow is all I can say I have been catching up on the posts and it turned out so sweet, now I got to get out there on my vert and get started. I will be posting pics as you have so keep watching maybe we can go to some show and shines together I am north of you in Oklahoma if your ever up this way stop on by.....again great job!!
You need to make it down to the big Olds show and drag race late this Summer.

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Congrats on getting it back on the road Richard! She is sharp...we all can appreciate the hard work you put in, and the results show! I love the pic with the caliper showing....
Thanks again. As you can see from my avatar I like that pic too.
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM

What olds show would that be?,,,I would really like to see that ride in person, maybe pickup a few parts for mine while I am there. Sounds like a good time.

Quick Reply: Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)