Fuel return line

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2022, 07:50 PM

Fuel return line

Hello.
I am in the middle of a frame off restoration on my 1970 Cutlass convertible with a 350. It originally had one 3/8 fuel line from the sending unit to the fuel pump. Because I am replacing the tank, sending unit, and fuel pump, does it make sense to add a return line? I am in a position now that I can easily do it but am not sure if it is necessary since this car never had one. Also, how many vents on the fuel tank do I need? All of the vents on the original tank were capped. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Kevin
Old October 16th, 2022, 05:11 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Originally Posted by kevdz79
Hello.
I am in the middle of a frame off restoration on my 1970 Cutlass convertible with a 350. It originally had one 3/8 fuel line from the sending unit to the fuel pump. Because I am replacing the tank, sending unit, and fuel pump, does it make sense to add a return line? I am in a position now that I can easily do it but am not sure if it is necessary since this car never had one. Also, how many vents on the fuel tank do I need? All of the vents on the original tank were capped. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Kevin
Assuming it's a non air conditioned car, correct? Not sure what the purpose would be to add the line. My understanding was the return line was to keep things cool in order to prevent vapor lock. Is that a concern for you?

If you decide further down the road that you need a return line, you can splice a rubber hose in towards the rear frame.
Old October 18th, 2022, 01:43 PM

You are correct, it is a non air conditioned car. Preventing vapor lock did cross my mind but I am mainly asking because I have the frame out of it right now. If there is a good reason to add it, I want to do it before I set the car back on the frame. Thanks for responding.