fresh built 455 w/valve tick ??????

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Question fresh built 455 w/valve tick ??????

Hi, still kinda new at this bear with me, MY distributor bottomed out and the cam gear wore my bronze distributor gear out, oil was filled with metal, i changed the oil and filter and fixed the dizzy problem,when this happened #3 intake vavle started ticking!!!!

????? can some of those bronze gear particals stop up my lifter and keep it fron pumping up, I pulled the vavle cover and thats the only one with a problem, no stuck valves or anything like that.......if so do i have to pull the intake and replace that lifter,
only 10 miles on engine can I reuse intake gasket?

(69 olds 455, 40 over, comp 280h hydraulic flat tappet cam, big valve C heads)

Last edited by 0590trab; October 29th, 2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the lifter will have to come out and yes the intake has to come off.I personally would not try to reuse the intake gskt-just asking for more trouble later on,even if a good copper coat is used.what really concerns me is if the metal was getting past the filter enough to cause a lifter failure,then has to be damage to the bearings also-rods,mains,cam.the filter should have kept the bad metal out and hopefully you just have a bad lifter that broke a spring or gummed up pushrod etc.have you pulled the pushrod to see if clear?do you have aftermarket adjustable rockers or the factory aluminum towers that take care of intake and exhaust and are non adjustable,and if the factory pivots-were they new and if not check the underside for wear.need more info.let me know and can probably send you in right direction.
BTW-when you changed the filter,did you notice if the filter bypass was still in place?
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:22 AM

Thanks, meoff, I do have the stock rocker setup, as I think about it when I pulled the valve cover there was no metal particals on top end of motor and the push rods were clear,I changed the push rod and rocker arm as a precaution and to see if it it would help, still just little loose motion there,fired it up still a little tick plenty of oil flow there, not sure what the oil bypass is and where its located? Thanks for any help you offer..........trab
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 0590trab
Thanks, meoff, I do have the stock rocker setup, as I think about it when I pulled the valve cover there was no metal particals on top end of motor and the push rods were clear,I changed the push rod and rocker arm as a precaution and to see if it it would help, still just little loose motion there,fired it up still a little tick plenty of oil flow there, not sure what the oil bypass is and where its located? Thanks for any help you offer..........trab
glad you didn't find any metal up top and are getting oilthe oil bypass I was referring to is inside where the oil filter screws on.it is there in case the oil filter isn't flowing oil and will bypass the filter.but since you didn't find metal in valve cover area I would say filter was still flowing and the bypass isn't stuck openyou could try swapping the rocker pivots with a quiet cylinder and see if the ticking moves to that cylinder?I remember years ago my grandma had a 88 that my uncle was working on with a lifter noise and he swapped the pivots around and was quiet after doing so!