The Cutlass Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM

The Cutlass Odyssey

I made a Google Sites page for my project, so lots (and lots) of info there:
http://cutlass.oddworld.org

I'll warn you: I have lofty goals, some of my plans are just strange, and none of this is justifiable. I'm just really lucky to have an amazingly understanding wife. If I can get through this without remortaging the house and still married, then life will be good.

Shamefully self-copied from my front page:
It started life as a '72 Cutlass Supreme in Light Blue with a white vinyl top, Rocket 350 engine with single exhaust, Turbo-Hydramatic 350 transmission and an open 2.73 rear riding on 14" wheels. My dad bought it in '73 with 60k miles on the clock from a traveling salesman. He drove it for a long time, my mom drove it for a long time, my sister drove it through high school, and then it sat in front of the house for a few years gathering leaves and rust.My dad and I did a restoration in '98/'99, and the picture above is from shortly after we finished. I drove it every day until July '06. Too many things went wrong at once, so I parked it awaiting a new restoration effort.

Fast forward to '10, I start making serious plans for the car. Then in late '11 I bought a '71 Supreme for parts, kicked my wife's car out of the garage, and had to start making real progress!

So this has been my favorite car since I was very young. I even have fond memories of driving around with my dad - I was too short to see over the dash (kids seat in the back? Hah!), and even then it had the musty smell of old car. Even my wife jokes that the car is my first love.

Here's where it's at now:

I'll toss updates here, probably mostly questions, and note big milestones. I'm hoping for a post in late March saying the engine is running!

Thanks!
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM
car guy

Looks like a really sweet project. What type of fuel injection are you planning? Where is the strange stuff? All I see is cool.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Good old QJet.

The upside of the electric pump and better plumbing is that I'll be ready for EFI when that mod happens. Maybe another ten years.
Only problem is I switch back to all -6 to save a few hundred bucks. It's nuts how expensive that stuff is.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:31 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by oddball
Good old QJet.

The upside of the electric pump and better plumbing is that I'll be ready for EFI when that mod happens. Maybe another ten years.
Only problem is I switch back to all -6 to save a few hundred bucks. It's nuts how expensive that stuff is.
I wouldn't use it. Todays gas eats it and you will have to replace it every few years. Lots of threads all over the net about people with bad gas smell from thier hot rod sitting in the garage. When they finally find it they see its the braided hose. Use hard line with just small pieces at the ends.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Earl's -6 teflon w/ carbon coating. It's the good stuff without going all the way to the TechAFX hose. 3/8" aluminum tube for the long runs.
BTW, thanks again for the rods- the machinist ended up using two! Another rod was bent in a wave.
That's what I love about cores - you never know just how much will be wrong.