72 Convertible 442 Clone

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Your car looks very sharp! Nice work!
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Rodney

Very shinny

Yes, it's very shinny! What is the paint color? is it a factory olds color or something else?
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Your car looks very sharp! Nice work!
Thanks Ted! It is coming along. I am having fun at this point.
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Yes, it's very shinny! What is the paint color? is it a factory olds color or something else?
Thanks. The paint shop was slow but they did a great job. The car has not been cut and buffed yet. I can not wait to get it polished out. The color is Mopar E5 Rally Red. This is the 4 th car I have painted this color.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That sounds like a trend Steve. It's a gorgeous color on your car and when after it's been wet sanded it will be even nicer. I'd leave all the trim off till that's been done.
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM

New Attitude

Got the new tires in from Summit yesterday. I have had the SSI's for quite a while. I ordered the tires on Tuesday and they were waiting on me when I got home from work on Thursday.

URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps85970a79.jpg.html]image_zps85970a79.jpg[/URL]

Here are the new SSI's 15x8" with 255/60/15's on the front and 295/50/15's for the rear.

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps261a6e4a.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG][IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb266ce16.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]

I sat in the garage and drank 3 Coronas admiring the change in attitude
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image_zps85970a79.jpg (72.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Sampson; January 11th, 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The wheels look awesome Steve. LOL looks like it dropped it's exhaust on the floor...

I just realized something - your car still has it's rocker panel stainless. 442's didn't have that. When I saw the pics of the car on page 2 of this thread I thought, 'Ah, good. The stainless has been removed'. That's one easy way to spot a cloned car. Check out the pic of the one you're using as a template. I know you've already done some neat mods on the grills, but didn't know if the stainless was part of your overall plan.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Allan R
The wheels look awesome Steve. LOL looks like it dropped it's exhaust on the floor...

Thanks Allan they do make a statement!

I just realized something - your car still has it's rocker panel stainless. 442's didn't have that. When I saw the pics of the car on page 2 of this thread I thought, 'Ah, good. The stainless has been removed'. That's one easy way to spot a cloned car. Check out the pic of the one you're using as a template. I know you've already done some neat mods on the grills, but didn't know if the stainless was part of your overall plan.
ha ha on the exhaust. I am waiting on new brackets and SS clamps to arrive to get them back on the car. Actually this is one of the last pieces of the puzzle before it is time to fire the rocket! I really debated on what to do about the exhaust. It is 2.5" and was new to the car about 2 years ago. Installed by a local shop. The problem is it looked 2 years old and pretty much everything else on the car is new or rebuilt. To good to throw away but too shabby for the new digs! Sooooooo I wire brushed it and it came out looking pretty good. Actually I thought of painting it with POR 20 hi temp ceramic paint. I worried about it smoking (burning) after initial startup so I nixed that idea. I will post some pics before I reinstall it on the car with the new trumpets!
Obviously you have not seen the 2013 Oldsmobile product brochures. . The stainless rocker trim is now available with the 442 option. I debated on this long and hard before the car went to paint. Bottom line is I like the stainless trim and I am building this car for me and not to be an exact replica of anything.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Talking

Thanks Allan they do make a statement!

ha ha on the exhaust. I am waiting on new brackets and SS clamps to arrive to get them back on the car. Actually this is one of the last pieces of the puzzle before it is time to fire the rocket! I really debated on what to do about the exhaust. It is 2.5" and was new to the car about 2 years ago. Installed by a local shop. The problem is it looked 2 years old and pretty much everything else on the car is new or rebuilt. To good to throw away but too shabby for the new digs! Sooooooo I wire brushed it and it came out looking pretty good. Actually I thought of painting it with POR 20 hi temp ceramic paint. I worried about it smoking (burning) after initial startup so I nixed that idea. I will post some pics before I reinstall it on the car with the new trumpets!
Obviously you have not seen the 2013 Oldsmobile product brochures. . The stainless rocker trim is now available with the 442 option. I debated on this long and hard before the car went to paint. Bottom line is I like the stainless trim and I am building this car for me and not to be an exact replica of anything.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Also the inaccuracies will help differentiate this car from a true 442. If And when I ever sell this car I will represent if for what it is. I am building it to my tastes to drive for a long time. The truth is 72's are easy to clone. It would be hard for a future owner to represent this car as a true 442.
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:35 PM

My last E5 Rally Red Ride

Here is a pic of the last E5 Rally Red car I had.

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse14eb411.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Sampson
Also the inaccuracies will help differentiate this car from a true 442. If And when I ever sell this car I will represent if for what it is. I am building it to my tastes to drive for a long time. The truth is 72's are easy to clone. It would be hard for a future owner to represent this car as a true 442.
Most of us in the community know the shortcomings of the 1972 VIN when it comes to 442's and unfortunately there's no pedigree added to the cowl tag to help that either. Right now there's one being discussed on the site that is being touted as a very rare 1972 442 triple black vert with the 'super rare W27 option' , rear deck wing, 442 glove box emblems etc and is apparently 1 of only 500 or so built. It also has a period correct engine that didn't even come with the car...I guess they never saw the 2013 Olds Ordering guide either It might be a real 442 but there's absolutely no documentation at this time to prove it and some of the customized add ons may be a PO's style that the new owner is passing off as 'stock'.

I have never had any doubts you'd represent your car honestly. I just wish some others would do the same. BTW, I also really like the rocker trim and would keep it too. I think it looks really cool with the stainless and just gives a more 'finished' look to the car IMO.
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! Just saw your Charger you posted while I was typing. It looks awesome.
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:47 AM

I sold the Charger last year to help finance this project. I took that pic for the add in Craig's List. The paint on that car was 18 years old and looked as good the day I sold it as the day it was painted. I expect I will drive this Cutlass until ............well until I get another wild hair
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

X2 , those tires and rims really set the car off...looks great!
I agree with Allan, the stainless trim looks good also
I assume there is enough clearance in the rear wells....I ended up removing the Cragers on the rear of mine as the offset was wrong for the size of tire .Kept rubbing and I did not want to grind any more of the wheel well lip...

Last edited by sammy; January 12th, 2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Addition
Old January 12th, 2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
X2 , those tires and rims really set the car off...looks great!
I agree with Allan, the stainless trim looks good also
I assume there is enough clearance in the rear wells....I ended up removing the Cragers on the rear of mine as the offset was wrong for the size of tire .Kept rubbing and I did not want to grind any more of the wheel well lip:eek:...
I hope there is enough clearance Ted I have not set her on the ground to check yet. I did some reading on CO and found others who had used this combo without issue. The Cragers looked great on your car by the way!
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Sampson
I hope there is enough clearance Ted I have not set her on the ground to check yet. I did some reading on CO and found others who had used this combo without issue.
Not sure why they wouldn't fit. P05 SSI's were offered in 1972 as OEM equipment. Is there something different about the ones you got Steve?
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:30 PM

I think the issue would come from the 295/50/15's in the rear. those babies are 12.5" wide. They are 26.6" tall. I read a post from one guy who was running 305/50/15's with no issues so I should be OK.
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Sorry Steve, I was comparing apples to oranges
I run 275 80 15 on the rear....a taller tire than yours, but not as wide.
My point that I was trying to convey was I did not research the Crager rim well before I bought them...I just assumed my tire would clear Live and learn!

Ted
Old January 30th, 2014, 05:58 PM

dang......

Well I just got caught up on this and awesome is all that comes to mind... that and three coronas in the garage, I actually walked out into my own garage and rendered for awhile w/o the cervezas though lol... I love the wheel choice, and the size of the sneaks should fill the wheel well up nicely. . I also like the stainless trim.

I think the thing I love most is your building and mindset remind me when in the mid to late 70's we would buy a car drag it home and just make it our own kudos.for marching to your own drummer.....

As for the charger.... dude. You got rid of that ??????? I would seriously consider some body parts prior to selling that puppy outstanding looking car.......

Always had a soft spot for chargers, OK road runners too ( only 68 and 69) coronets, early belevederes. Gtos vettes bubbletop chevys OK anything that goes vroom vroom. Thanks for sharing
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:20 PM

Thanks Eddie! Thing have been progressing slowly since those three Coronas. Getting the car ready to put the interior back in. Painted the underside the dash and cleaned out all the cruddy seam sealer in the floors and resealed. Insulated the inside of the doors and rear quarters. Even got the exhaust hung that Allan so thoughtfully pointed out fell off the car. Steering column disassembled cleaned and painted waiting to go back in. Sent the Radio off to be converted to digital. Tonight I brought all the interior hard parts in and washed in the kitchen sink. My wife was away at a meeting.. Just about ready to go into a new phase of throwing parts back on this thing...........I hope to be on the road for the first car show of the season in March.
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:29 PM

As for the charger.... dude. You got rid of that ??????? I would seriously consider some body parts prior to selling that puppy

Long story on that one Eddie! I had that car 20 yrs. I came across a 71 Vette last year that I went in heat for. I talked to the guy for about 6 months. He finally dropped the price and got it in my range. I sold my Charger on a Friday and went to get the Vette on Monday and he sold it on Saturday. It all worked out for the best though. I am having a good time with the Cutlass.
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:34 PM

well we will be here rooting you on my friend, don't forget to put the plastics back on the door panels , I say that because I just reread Brian's (69442c) thread from beginning to end for the umpteenth time and realized just how important the seemingly little things are who would think leaving them off opens your door panels to the elements...and possible ruin.

I too am hoping to get back in the shop and progress made as soon as I can get three minutes to rub together . Anyway until them I am restoring vicariously through all the great threads I have missed and all the great work going on while I am slacking.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:39 PM

Putting some clothes back on the old glirl

Been working the past week on getting the guts back in the interior. I decided to wait to fire up the engine until I had all the electrical stuff hooked back up and the gauges back in etc. I reset the odometer back to 000000. And added a new gauge face without the PRNDSL. Took Rob's advice and repainted the inside of the can. Painted the inside of the cans on the new Rally packs as well.

Here is a link on how to reset the odometer. This link is for a Mustang but the same procedure worked for mine.
► 4:46► 4:46
www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kZQkKGSw8
Jun 25, 2009 - Uploaded by JoeResto
The video demonstrates how to roll back the odometer on a 1967-68 Mustang, should be the ...

[IMG][/

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140201_165339268_zps7egnwfma.jpg.html]
[/IMG]

Last edited by Sampson; February 8th, 2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:04 PM

The dash was looking a little worn. I repainted the lower half with SEM Landau Black. Used a Chrome marker pen to highlight the plastic edges on the bezels.
Also got my radio back from Gary Tayman. It looks great. I cannot wait to hear it play. Here is a link to his shop.

AM/FM Stereo Conversions for old car radios - Tayman Electrical
www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm
AM/FM Stereo Conversion for original antique vehicle radios.

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140202_123935025_zpsio5xwfmn.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG
Dash showing the worn and faded detailing

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140202_123906203_zpszbw6mbga.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]
Converted radio installed. It utilizes all the original controls.
[IMG][/IMG]
The chrome marker pen does a good job of putting the highlights back on the dash bezels. Worked well on the A/C vents as well.

Last edited by Sampson; February 8th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM

On to the floor

I debated a lot on whether to Dynamat the floor. At the end of the day I just could not see the value. The stuff is expensive. I also did not want to take a chance that the car would end up smelling like tar by using a roofing product that looks a lot like Dynamat. I ended up using a sound insulation product found in generators and industrial equipment. It is like a foil wrapped bubble wrap. I used a spray contact adhesive to adhere it to the floors. It went on really well and was easy to work with. I lined the inside of the doors and quarters with it as well. Time will tell how it works out but it cost roughly $100.00 in materials vs $400.00 plus for Dynamat.

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140208_110541819_zps8inh0gf7.jpg.html][/URL[/IMG]

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140208_110639696_zpswqq0dzpq.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:46 PM

And then came carpet

I added an extra layer of Jute padding under the carpet. They should make bomb shelters out of this stuff. I am pretty sure it could withstand a nuclear attack. Almost impossible to cut. I bought the carpet from TPP and it came from Trim Parts. The fit and quality was very good. The old adage measure twice and cut once really applies here. There is no going back if you cut it to short. I took my time and was happy with the results.

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140208_114214375_zpsoiynkutk.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140208_114143198_zpsxffwujcv.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/IMG_20140208_165225858_zps59eyqejw.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by Sampson; February 8th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Wow! You are really coming along!
The radio looks awesome!
Where did you buy the sound insulation? I am at this point on my car too, and it looks like a good alternative....
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Steve,
Loved the video about resetting the odometer. I'm thinking of doing that with mine when I take it apart; I have a spare couple of them including a speedminder speedometer I want to restore. The white on black numbers are fine, but I'd like to find new stickers to put on the white (tenth/mile) to make it look new.

Great job on the sound deadener. At first I wasn't sure why you went with what looked like dynamat and then put jute over top. Then I read your comments. I'm very interested in hearing what your overall impression is about how it works out. I know that the verts are going to be somewhat noisier than a holiday coupe but still....

What an interesting twist - painting the radio ***** in contrast black for the centers. You continue to amaze me with your creativeness. I know what you mean about those silver shapies. I found that taking the dash parts out and working on a flat surface (instead of still in the car) works even better. Chrome sharpies aren't as 'bright' as OEM silver plate trim but they sure do a heck of a good job considering the price!!!

RATS! I might have to go back to work to get all the $$$ I'm thinking I'll need to redo my radio and interior now.....either that or put that MAW on hold.... yup that may be a better idea for now...
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:33 PM

Sampson I know your set with your gauges but just to throw a little gas on the fire have you seen these gauges, I am considering these for my car as the 67 series comes with a 4 in 1 gauge comes in the right size too LOL...

http://www.newvintageusa.com/1969.html

the quad gauge is here

http://www.newvintageusa.com/images/67214-01.jpg

I do believe in some ( most) states it is illegal to tamper with an odometer???? not sure how they treat restos ???and not to worry what happens on the forum stays on the forum so your secret is safe with me... LOL i see the question posed numerous times... just curious....

and Man that is one plate of spaghetti behind the dash .... wow...
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eddie, I think the issue of resetting or tampering with odometers is related to the industry as a whole; specifically with used car sales. I don't think there's anything illegal about resetting a speedo for a restoration. I would suggest that the date and mileage of the original speedo be recorded though if that's an issue. Usually the BOS on a car requires the mileage to be filled out. Seeing as these old cars only have a 5 digit odometer it's my opinion that 99.9% of the older cars were registered with incorrect mileages anyway simply because of the limited number of digits.

I looked at your gages on that link. Have you had a chance to look at Speedhut? They also make gages and can incorporate the rocket emblem into the gage clusters. One of our members (car_designer) had these done for his 72 post coupe

interior005_zps79a065ba.jpg

gauge_panel_night_zps9eaf8aa8.jpg
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM

i did...

Alan yes I looked at them too sweet I like that both companies can include directional signals brake warnings, etc,

As for odometers well we all know that we aren't trying to get away with anything and would give the lowdown on what we are presenting but there is always the few bad apples as they say, with modern cars you probably need to also hack the computer , if it were me I would just say the unit was purchased as a rebuilt at a swap meet or something... ya never know with some over zealous yahoo sayin the law is d law. Anyway not to hijack the thread back to our regularly scheduled installment .

Btw dig the radio but what choices r there for speakers and where to put them? On a vert its tough.... I thought about under the seats not sure I am fully on board with the kick panel ones
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eddie, one last thing about the gages so we don't hijack this thread too badly? The ones from Speedhut also have GPS if that's something that would swing the apple cart one way or the t'other.

Don't know if you saw this thread about the radio, but there's a really cool aftermarket one that looks exactamundo as OEM but is geared for all the new electronics. Found the product by accidental search of the web one night looking for radio rebuilders and the cost of this unit is less than a quality rebuild. It also allows you to pick and choose among the new speakers to fit something smaller into a vert.

What's New but Olds looking???
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM

Steve - The Olds is looking awesome!!! Love the new chrome and rubber! Man, you've been busy. Where in the heck do you find the time? She is going to be looking pretty sitting in the grass over at the Lake in March! Can't wait.
Only complaint I might have is over a man drinking alone in his garage with his Olds....Call me so I can help empty a few bottles...and maybe turn a wrench!

Cheers and keep up the nice work!!
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Sampson I know your set with your gauges but just to throw a little gas on the fire have you seen these gauges, I am considering these for my car as the 67 series comes with a 4 in 1 gauge comes in the right size too LOL...

http://www.newvintageusa.com/1969.html

the quad gauge is here

http://www.newvintageusa.com/images/67214-01.jpg

Wow Eddie you are killing me! Love these! Already got so much invested in the Rally pacs now though. If I had seen this last year...............maybe I could sell the Rally's and.........dag gone you Eddie

I do believe in some ( most) states it is illegal to tamper with an odometer???? not sure how they treat restos ???and not to worry what happens on the forum stays on the forum so your secret is safe with me... LOL i see the question posed numerous times... just curious....

Yep one of those threads was mine. I thought a lot about it but in NC you have to sign a disclaimer on the title about the odometer so I guess it will be OK

and Man that is one plate of spaghetti behind the dash .... wow...

I should have taken some pics of that rats nest. The PO was an electrical genius. This was originally a bench seat car. He had the console wired in with household electrical wire. I spent a lot of time standing on my head under that dash. I bought some new harness to replace some of the hacked part. Believe it or not it is completely stock again and looks good except 1 orange wire I have not finished tracing out. You can see it hanging in one of the later pics with the carpet installed
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:27 PM

Btw dig the radio but what choices r there for speakers and where to put them? On a vert its tough.... I thought about under the seats not sure I am fully on board with the kick panel ones[/QUOTE

I am thinking of a set of these

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/pro...ERCOVER-1.html

Last edited by Sampson; February 11th, 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM

Ted & Allan
the floor insulation is a product called Reflectix and is sold in a lot of big box hardware stores. Primarily used for duct insulation. I work for Kaeser Air Compressor and one of our selling points is we make one of the quietest Industrial compressors in the market. All of our panels are insulated with this same stuff. It holds up well to heat and is a good insulator. I was worried about it being noisy under your feet. It crinkles a little when it moves around. That was one of the reasons I put an extra jute pad under the carpet. After it was firmly down and the carpet is in it is very quiet. I will let you know more about how it does for heat and sound after I get this thing on the road!
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Eddie, I think the issue of resetting or tampering with odometers is related to the industry as a whole; specifically with used car sales. I don't think there's anything illegal about resetting a speedo for a restoration. I would suggest that the date and mileage of the original speedo be recorded though if that's an issue. Usually the BOS on a car requires the mileage to be filled out. Seeing as these old cars only have a 5 digit odometer it's my opinion that 99.9% of the older cars were registered with incorrect mileages anyway simply because of the limited number of digits.

I looked at your gages on that link. Have you had a chance to look at Speedhut? They also make gages and can incorporate the rocket emblem into the gage clusters. One of our members (car_designer) had these done for his 72 post coupe

Old February 11th, 2014, 06:53 PM

Wow Allan you too????? If some of these show up on my doorstep I am telling my wife that the Devil Made me Do It

By the way I documented the 83,230 miles showing on the odometer with a pic that I plan to keep with the car
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=scott_442;653461]Steve - The Olds is looking awesome!!! Love the new chrome and rubber! Man, you've been busy. Where in the heck do you find the time?

Grace says I live in the Garage

Only complaint I might have is over a man drinking alone in his garage with his Olds....Call me so I can help empty a few bottles...and maybe turn a wrench!

Hey Bud the garage is always open and usually a cool brew out there too. You don't even need a cooler this time of year. You don't need an invite come over anytime. March is coming quick what is the date of the show?

Quick Reply: 72 Convertible 442 Clone