71CUTTYSUPREMEVERTREBUILD

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2009, 06:23 AM
71CutlassConvertible

71CUTTYSUPREMEVERTREBUILD

This is my rebuild. It is a 1971 cutlass supreme convertible. The car hadn't ran since 1992 but with some tlc, we got it going in no time. Dug it out of an old barn where it had sit for so many years hiding from the detriments of weather but unfortunately housing snakes and mice.
I wanted to restore this car from the ground up, beings it had been in my family since 1976, and I want my kids to be able to enjoy it for years to come. It is in pretty decent shape, the only notible rust is on the front fenders which can easily be replaced. It will require some major under dash work as I pulled 2 five gallon buckets of mouse bedding and snake skins. Should be a decent restoration which will aid in this being my first.
I will post picture as I go. Here are a few if I did it right.

http://photobucket.com/colby1971cutlassvertrebuild
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by colby
This is my rebuild. It is a 1971 cutlass supreme convertible. The car hadn't ran since 1992 but with some tlc, we got it going in no time. Dug it out of an old barn where it had sit for so many years hiding from the detriments of weather but unfortunately housing snakes and mice.
I wanted to restore this car from the ground up, beings it had been in my family since 1976, and I want my kids to be able to enjoy it for years to come. It is in pretty decent shape, the only notible rust is on the front fenders which can easily be replaced. It will require some major under dash work as I pulled 2 five gallon buckets of mouse bedding and snake skins. Should be a decent restoration which will aid in this being my first.
I will post picture as I go. Here are a few if I did it right.

Look at it as a investment.........it will only gain value,Good luck!.........................Jerr
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I love those barn pics! Something about pigeon poop and mice nests. I would have loved to have stepped into that barn and seen that Olds!
I'm thinking the pics with the top down and the kids is not the same car? Or is it.
Anyway
Cool car!
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Looks like the same car to me. Great find/save.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:40 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Same car with a wash job. Like I say, this car is in decent shape with minor dents and dings.
My kids got a kick out riding in the car with the top down. Or maybe they were just amused by my gas can riding up front with me with a tube running under the hood to feed the fuel pump.
I'm trying to involve them as much as I can to pass on a little knowledge of how cars work, other than a means of transportation. I was a wrench getter for my father so something must have stuck. If anything, it will get them away from video games and tv. They're pretty good helpers as well as kids. God has truly blessed me with a wonderful family.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:50 AM

Same car with a wash job. Like I say, this car is in decent shape with minor dents and dings.
My kids got a kick out riding in the car with the top down. Or maybe they were just amused by my gas can riding up front with me with a tube running under the hood to feed the fuel pump.
I'm trying to involve them as much as I can to pass on a little knowledge of how cars work, other than a means of transportation. I was a wrench getter for my father so something must have stuck. If anything, it will get them away from video games and tv. They're pretty good helpers as well as kids. God has truly blessed me with a wonderful family.
Gas can up front feeding the fuel pump? Hope all occupants are wearing their flame suits
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Funny you should mention that, My worry also. I put half a gallon in thinking that it would get me to the house (200 yards) and back. Not the case! Had to walk back up and get some more gas.
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM

I spent the 1970's helping my Dad on a few 50 Oldsmobiles, a 56, 57. and I did learn alot. The only bad thing is that when things weren't going well everyone knew it including all the neighbors. He would throw tools scream and swear, Most of the time it wasn't much fun for me.
Keep it fun for the kids and keep your cool when things don't go your way, learn to walk away and come back a little later. I chose to pay my kids knowing that I would make money on the car when I sold so why not pay them a few bucks, I never got a penny. It has proved to have been one of the better things I have done with my kids.
It's a great hobby.
Dave
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM

great findand definately keep the kids involved.kept me out of trouble helping my uncle out in the garage on his 57 chebby projects
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:30 AM
71CutlassConvertible

I thought I would inform everyone on the status of my rebuild. Seems to be going slow but the time I can work on er is well enjoyed. Have the windshield, dash, top and interior out. I have a few trim pieces left to remove along with some misc parts. I'm fabricating some door braces and preparing to pull the body off. Here is the most current picture I have. Oh yah, got tranny back from shop. Had all the seals replaced, filter kit and etc. done to it. Cleaned up nicely but still is not as nice looking as I would like it to be. What should i do to get this looking as nice as I can? Aluminum spray paint, media blast, or try to steam a 3rd time again? Might as well do the best I can while I have it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
d206766a7296.jpg (79.3 KB, 68 views)
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM

Clean as best as you can and paint the color of you choice. The tranny shop here uses aluminum paint and it looks clean. Wouldn't bead blast unless you are rebuilding the trans it seems like the media gets in places that you wouldn't expect even when properly taped off. I also have painted my engine and trans matching body color and it looks good, just depends on what style you are planning.
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Tranny lookin good. I beleive the bracing I've put in will work fine but would like to know what everyone thinks before I reach the point where I take the frame off.

Goin to the GoodGuys auto show at kc speedway this weekend and hope to get a lot of ideas and info. Maybe some of the CO cars will be there.
Attached Images
537b041a32d3.jpg (56.1 KB, 38 views)
bb4da3067dfd.jpg (84.2 KB, 46 views)
9eb27c56212c.jpg (89.3 KB, 68 views)
c514c4e5ce24.jpg (87.8 KB, 53 views)
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
71CutlassConvertible

Fresh coat of chassis saver. This stuff is nasty, so I assume it will work. I think it is like POR 15 accept 30 to 40 dollars cheaper. Slow goin but still in motion.

Attached Images
5a0b7e7bd5c9.jpg (78.0 KB, 45 views)
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Looks like that will work. Looks great.
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM

Looks like your making good progress. looks good
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM

Looking good. You are going to something to be proud of.
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM
71CutlassConvertible

Well it has been a while since I posted on my progress.
Got my motor back yesterday, it was exciting. I'll throw a build sheet up when I get it in order.

Other things completed thus far are frame blasted and painted, under body and floor pans fixed, blasted, and painted.
New brake lines, fuel lines, and shocks are on. Pictures to come soon.

Things to do in the immediate future include wheel bearings & seals, brakes, fix boat lower unit gear drive for wife before summer, and firewall work.

I'm moving slow but still moving. Having a blast with my dad helping, we haven't argued that good since I "new it all back in highschool". I think he is rather enjoying it also. Check out the latest photos and I'll be in the back ground obtaining knowledge.

Old January 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks like a great project, keep us posted on the progress.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Exhaust System

My decisioin has been made, as a matter of fact, they were delivered today.
I went with Hooker Comp Ceramic headers and Magnaflow Exhaust. Going to try to get a preliminary fit wth everything this weekend if no problems with getting the motor on the frame. Pics to follow.

Should I use an after market set of header gaskets or use the ones that came with the headers?? The flanges on the headers are 5/16" instead of 1/4". Maybe that will make a difference?????

Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:49 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Hooker headers will fit a 71 Cutlass Supreme. Mounted the motor and tranny, now ready for the exhaust system and drive shaft.
Attached Images
0667ac2daf57.jpg (81.8 KB, 29 views)
83fdefcdcc92.jpg (77.1 KB, 41 views)
94603057b31b.jpg (108.4 KB, 38 views)
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM

Wow, nice work!!!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM

Looks great, keep the pictures comming
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:59 AM

My decisioin has been made, as a matter of fact, they were delivered today.
I went with Hooker Comp Ceramic headers and Magnaflow Exhaust. Going to try to get a preliminary fit wth everything this weekend if no problems with getting the motor on the frame. Pics to follow.

Should I use an after market set of header gaskets or use the ones that came with the headers?? The flanges on the headers are 5/16" instead of 1/4". Maybe that will make a difference?????

I highly recommend not using the gaskets that came with the headers. Go and get yourself a set of Mr Gasket gaskets. Immediately upon comparison you will see the huge difference in quality between the two.

Keep up the good work.
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:26 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust in its trial fit stage.
Attached Images
ace6eb9d9356.jpg (71.9 KB, 36 views)
93e8898d8af6.jpg (71.2 KB, 36 views)
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
1971 442 convert

Now that looks pretty sweet Colby
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
71CutlassConvertible

Well I thought I better post something. Works been slow on the car but I do have the motor in and running. Sounds awesome and I can't wait to get it to the next step. Having fun at letting friends here, I think they're getting interested in doing a restore of their own. Soon they'll have the monkey on their back.

Just started stripping paint on the body and will have minimal body work to do, the old gal was in pretty good shape. Stripped the fenders and dug into the bondo. Both sides have bondo above the fender, with the driverside at least 3/4 inch deep. Will probably replace both.

Now, if I can just get the grass to stop growing!!!!!
Attached Images
easter2010_002.jpg (93.3 KB, 33 views)
work in progress.jpg (4.5 KB, 29 views)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Land Yacht Captain

What a difference since you pulled it out from where ever you found it. Great job so far.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM

What a classic pic with a brew in hand looking at the car. Love it.