'70 442

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2012, 09:30 PM

'70 442

I just picked-up a 1970 442 a few weeks ago. It's an older, amateur-ish resto that will definitely need to be redone some day. But, for now, it looks pretty good from 10' and I'm very happy! It has a rough '73-74(?) Olds 350 that I will swap with my worked '72 Olds 350... BUT I have a 455 Olds block that will be built in the future for this car.

The car was born green with green interior. The resto turned the outside black with gold w30 stripes. The interior is all but out of the car minus dash, door panels and headliner (all green). The previous owner was in the process of converting the interior to black (seats reupholstered with correct black vinyl for '70, rear deck has nice, new black vinyl padding). I prefer black but in the long run would like to restore the car back to the way it was supposed to be; green and green. However, that is many years in the future.

Questions: while most of interior is out of the car, do I:
1. continue the transition to the incorrect but more desireable (for me at least) black? That means getting a black carpet and dying the panels and console while they're out of the car. That also means I have to remove the dash, which I'd rather not do. Or...
2. do I keep what is still green as it is (it's all in pretty good shape) and begin the return back to green interior and spare myself all the work of dying the original parts, just to change them back in the future? But, I will have a car that's black and gold outside but green inside(?!?). Or...
3. Leave black parts black, green parts green, get a black carpet and complete my hodge-podge interior and live with it for a bunch of years?

I'm undecided here folks and I welcome your votes/opinions.
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Well, since your asking for opinions:.....The first SX I fell in love with was a 70 green on green convertible. There's something about the colored interiors on these cars that I love. The only reason I don't own that one is because the guy wanted way to much and wouldn't budge on price. It's a pain in the *** for you either way. Do what your gut tells you. Mainly you should have what you want,.... but there's something really special about returning a car like that back to it's original glory when it rolled off the line. Black is always cool, Green is different. I guess the cool part is; you get to choose....I'd make it green again if I were in your shoes.
Good luck deciding!!!!
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:32 AM

The reality is you will notice the green parts more than anyone else and the eople who are willing to tell you that your interior is wrong are the same ones who will incorrectly pick apart a 998 point show winner

So its your car do what gives you the most satisfaction the quickest and cheapest.
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:23 AM
72 Olds CS

my vote is black.

black interior works w green and black exterior

although the points made about green interiors are valid (it is original, it is different, it doesnt really work w black exterior etc)

if its dark green that may change my vote but the light green interiors Ive seen are well kinda um er meh IMHO
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks guys! I do appreciate your input. While the stated purpose of this thread was to get others' opinions, it was really an opportunity for me to sit down and think this through rather than to flip-flop ideas in my head, ad nauseum.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with all 3 of you thus far. I do appreciate the unique-factor of the dark green interior (I'd probably be singing a different tune if it was light green ). I also realize that many people who see the car will likely be slow to realize the odd color combo I'm sporting for now. Some may even think it's cool.

After really thinking about it, I have a fundamental problem dying perfectly good, original, 42-yr-old panels to satisfy my ego for a few years...especially when I know I intend to return the car back to its former glory. Oh yeah, and I totally subscribe to Stevengerard's thinking...."quickest and cheapest".

Looks like I'll keep the hodge-podge black/green look for now. I'll need a new carpet. I guess I'll flip a coin when it comes time to order it as I could go either way. I just wanted to make a decision and start getting this interior back together. I can always change my mind later. Green seat covers? Black dash cover?
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM

I like the dark green in the 70 because you don't see it very often. It stands out as something different in a crowd.
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

the question is : Is the phrase once you go black you never go back true.

Last edited by lunaboy; July 26th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jeffu231
I like the dark green in the 70 because you don't see it very often. It stands out as something different in a crowd.
If my car was still green like yours, it would be a non-issue. I would keep the green, no problem.

Originally Posted by lunaboy
the question is : Is the phrase once you go black you never go back true.
That's a good question. I'm sure if I go through the trouble to change it all black, I'll be in no hurry to change it back....if I do ever.

Looking the car over yet again today, because it's dark green, you actually have to look pretty close to see it's not black. Naturally, I see it right away, and I've only had it a month. If this site would let me get pictures up, I'd show you .
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM

My neighbor has a green on green 70 that is now white on green, car looks awesome, the dark green is really nice. Black looks good all the time but it can be dark. That's why I like pearl interiors, nice mixture of pearl and black.

Also as good as SEM black dye is it will still peal or flake off .