68 442

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:15 PM

68 442

I know that I have mentioned in several posts, an Olds that me and my brother farted around with about 15 years ago. This was my brothers car, and we kinda worked on this as a project together. It was his car, and long story short, after 15 years, I finally purchased it from him.

68 442, 4 speed (3rd gear synchro going out) 3.42 posi, 350 (have original 400 block) with flat top 2320's with #8 heads, and around 30k miles on it.

I got married, he drove it awhile, broke the clutch linkage, and then he parked it.
It sat all this time and never was even turned over.

I finally talked him out of it.
Yes it has gathered some rust here, and there (Az some, not Ohio some).
Not sure what the plan is (I WAS going to part this out, but the more I look at this, the more it seems a crime), but I had to play with it some.

SOOOOO, I got out there, bypasses the fuel line, put in a battery, and cranked her over. FIRED RIGHT UP. Not even a header leak.
1 lifter had leaked down, but filled up after 3 minutes.

Now I HAVE to get this thing to move under it's own power.
I got a kick out of it, thought you guys would too.
Jim

Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM

If that were my car I would consider restoring it. Could be a nice car when finished.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Warhead
I WAS going to part this out, but the more I look at this, the more it seems a crime
It would be a shame to part it just my $.02
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog
If that were my car I would consider restoring it. Could be a nice car when finished.
Not sure what is in the cards yet, I m still in the process of working on my 65 Cutlass. Time will tell.

A friend came over to look at it (in his 69 442 4 speed car- what motivation!), and he felt the same way. I have got to make it run down the road, on it's own.

News flash: Car was last tagged in 1991, so it has not run in 19 years.
Ooops.
Amazing how resilient these things are.
Jim
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:04 AM

Nice car!! Is that a pin stripe I see along the peak moulding and over the windows??? Is that original paint and stripe...if so could we have pics of the two ends of the stripe and the dimention and space from stripe to moulding trim ??

Last edited by Yellowstatue; March 5th, 2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Selected wrong vowel to see if anyone is watching!
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Warhead
News flash: Car was last tagged in 1991, so it has not run in 19 years.
Ooops.
Amazing how resilient these things are.
Jim
Ha! I went thru almost the exact same thing with my '68 S. The last plate on it was 1991...last time it ran was 1995. This summer I made the decision to get it moving under its own power. I did the same as you. Stuck a battery in it, replaced the dead starter, bypassed the tank/lines with a coffee can of fresh gas & some line, shot some starting fluid in it and turned the key. On the second try, it fired and ran. For the first few minutes it put out an unholy amount of smoke (white, blue, black, gray !) & ran a bit ragged, but then settled down and idled rather nice.

Over the next few days I changed all the juices, plugs,etc.. & replaced a rotted brake line. Then I took it for a spin around the neighborhood/back roads.
Other than the lumpy tires and the occasionally shrieking alternator bearings, it was just as I remembered.... Ahhhh, what a feeling!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Nice car!! Is that a pin stripe I see along the peak moulding and over the windows??? Is that original paint and stripe...if so could we have pics of the two ends of the stripe and the dimention and space from stripe to moulding trim ??
Yes, that is. I will try to get you some info on that, as best as I can. It is not spaced evenly from the chrome trim near the back window, and a taper at the front, but the rest of it is pretty close to 5/8th" from the fender chrome trim.
Please pm me for my email address, so I can send you more detailed pictures.

Jim
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:45 AM

My vote is you fix it up, not part it out. Too nice for that final act. Or sell it to another Olds guy.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM

My 69 442 is in similar shape but worth the effort to bring her back.
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:29 PM

It found a new home.
Thank you to everyone.
Jim in Phx.

Last edited by Warhead; March 14th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Wish I had space in my garage.
Good luck with the sale