455 build - planning

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2021, 05:00 PM
Death to the false TOG!

455 build - planning

Putting together a 69 455 for a 79 T/A this fall/winter.. 4bb high-compression engine, not a Toro.
I have the motor apart; good crank, 8 good pistons, 7 good bores. Will bore +0.030 and fill them with high-compression pistons.
C heads - will sell and have aluminum heads put together by someone who knows how.

Seeking opinions:
- Given the cost and the benefit, would it be better to 4.5" stroke the engine or install a roller cam and valvetrain? I can do one or the other
- Does anyone have any experience with this cam? HP seems OK, TQ seems high. This is the 3rd update of this entry so I don't think it is a typo
https://dickmillerracing-com.3dcarts...530_p_252.html
-- Does anyone know a machine shop in the NW Ohio / SE Michigan area what knows how to handle an Olds block?

Thanks in advance.

Old May 29th, 2021, 05:23 PM

Your link goes to a flat tappet cam, not a roller. A 455 has plenty of stroke now. Those stroker's need the crank ground for different rods, or you can get a stroker kit, I think. You're gonna have traction problems as it is with a 455. Many people are using roller cams, and many are not.
Others will chime in on a shop to use and with opinions.
Maybe you should PM Cutlassefi on this site.
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:31 PM

I would go with the roller cam over the stroker kit. I was kind of in the same situation when i did my last build. I had a choice between spending money on heads or a stroker kit. I decided the 455 has plenty of torque and i would be better off with better flowing heads. Spend the money on a roller cam spec’d for your combo, quality lifters and timing chain. Good luck with the build!
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Death to the false TOG!

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Your link goes to a flat tappet cam, not a roller.
I know.
A 455 has plenty of stroke now. Those stroker's need the crank ground for different rods, or you can get a stroker kit, I think.
Yes, there are kits,
Maybe you should PM Cutlassefi on this site.
Part of the plan :-)
Thanks
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Death to the false TOG!

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
I would go with the roller cam over the stroker kit. I was kind of in the same situation when i did my last build. I had a choice between spending money on heads or a stroker kit. I decided the 455 has plenty of torque and i would be better off with better flowing heads. Spend the money on a roller cam spec’d for your combo, quality lifters and timing chain. Good luck with the build!
Thank you!