1987 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Restortation

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM

1987 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Restortation

Hello all! Made a thread back in March that I was going to start restoring my Cutlass that had been parked for 5 years in my backyard. Oh boy well the cruel Canadian winters were not kind to her what so ever. I know this car was not in this bad of shape when I got it but I was younger and didn't know much about cars. I was restoring it with my Dad as it was my 1st car and daily driver. My Father passed away and I was left without help and knowledge to continue the work by myself. Ended up getting a different vehicle (2008 Dodge Charger) and parking the Cutlass until I learned more/got tools/made some different friends that knew about cars and would help.
So finally after 5 long years I have decided I am ready to bring it back to life and I have money saved up and friends willing to help with the project. So today was terrible/awesome all at the same time because I really got to see what sitting for 5 years did to the poor girl.

-Mice found their way in from the field behind my house and crapped all over the place. They didn't chew any wires from what I could tell but that was the least of my worries. They got crafty and pulled some of the cloth/foam from inside my subwoofer box in the trunk and made a nest in the engine.

-Had a little bit of rust on it when I got the car and it was also originally from Ontario (which uses very harsh salts on their streets ) my friend helping is from Ontario so he knew we had to investigate the rust to see how bad it got. We pulled the trunk liner out,seats,carpet only to find the trunk is almost completely rusted out and underneath the rear seats is pretty bad aswell. But under driver and passenger and to the firewall their was virtually none. A bit of frame rust near the back but for the most part the frame looks like its in pretty good shape still.

So damage control concluded that this is going to be a huge project, way more then I thought but I am up to the task. Now I am wondering where to look for parts, from what I can see lots of them are from the states as there isn't much for parts in Canada. What are some good trusted websites that any of you have dealt with that you would recommend to start looking for replacement parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image (4).jpg (89.5 KB, 17 views)
image (5).jpg (61.1 KB, 15 views)
image (6).jpg (69.9 KB, 17 views)
image (7).jpg (77.7 KB, 13 views)
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully you and your friends can make your car into something you can be proud of again.
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by swervecity
They got crafty and pulled some of the cloth/foam from inside my subwoofer box
This is probably a blessing in disguise. At least your neighbors will think so.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:45 PM

Any recommendations as to where to look for floor panels? The whole piece under the rear seats is shot as shown in the pictures I posted. Any websites or places that took care of you? Places in the states I can call or email? Anything is appreciated as I am having a hard time tracking stuff down anywhere in Canada. Really wanna get going on cutting out the rust so it doesn't keep spreading, especially because of the size of this project its going to have to sit another winter without a garage so I would love to get all the rust cut out and new pieces welded.