1970 W-31 350 Oldsmobile Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Cas-Am Performance 1970 W-31 350 Oldsmobile Engine Build

For those of you who don't know who I am my name is Stephen Minore owner/operator of Cas-Am Performance & Restoration LLC located in Meriden Ct. In the past I have been involoved with many Oldsmobile engine builds and restorations. One of them was Scott Pierce's 1969 Olds F-Eightyfive W-31 which was 2008 Hemmings Muscle Machines, Muscle Car of the year. Earlier this year in January Scott got rid of his 1969 F-Eightyfive and replaced it with a 1970 Cutlass W-31. Scott again wants an engine upgrade in the new 1970 W-31 to compete in the Supercar class.

We have all the parts for this engine build and we'd like to give you guys a little insight of how the build will go.
Lets start with the block and modifications, then some pictures of the components that will be used in the build.

We are using the original numbers matching block. It has been alighn honed, decks have been squared and set to Zero. It's been bored and honed only to .030 over with torque plates. (All machine work done by Andy Miller @ Olds Performance Products in Suffern, NY)

please follow the link below for updates on the build

http://www.supercarraces.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=485

Last edited by StickW31; March 12th, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Cool thanks or sharing.
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Hi Steve and everyone, I am real good friends with the fellow who your buddy "swapped'' cars with to get the '70 W31. The '69 is kinda special to me because I own the "Anderson Olds" '69 W31 F/Stocker. Actually, the guy who now owns the '69 is a pretty well known Olds racer and sold the record holding '72 Cutlass to Sam Murray. Wayne Shipley is his name and his son Aaron (graduate of Mondello Performance School) is building a 350 for me to use in some Nostalgia racing. I bought some stuff from your buddy Andy (referred to me by the Shipleys) and Dick Miller, also. I started to get the itch to race again (20 year absence) after showing my W31 at the York U.S. 30 Reunion. I acquired a complete and correct '69 motor to have built so I could keep the original intact. I am using #5 heads with a "70 W31 alum. intake and Q-Jet. Jerry MacNeish is going through the spare M21 and I have an "extra" 12 Bolt with 4:33's. My car ran 12.60's in 1969 and 1970 and I am hoping for something a little closer to 12.00--(better cam and head technology, better tires, etc.). Good luck in your build and keep us posted on the progress. Until next time.....Dave.
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:34 AM

With the roller bearings and other mill work what did miller charge for this ? What is the life span of roller cam bearings and what was your thinking on going with them? I have seen the posts by Miller and BTR and others on ROP How much work does Miller do I know BTR has a a full shop ? His web site has some nice looking parts . You do your own porting and other work if I remember right didnt you advertise on 442.com ?
Old December 23rd, 2023, 11:12 AM
AJK

Hi,

I hope you are doing well!

I'm writing to you as I'm in the process of

upgrading my 1970 Cutlass V8 Rocket 350 Standard engine into a W-31 setup.

I've already secured the pistons and air intake system and fuel carburetor, but I have some questions about the cylinder heads and compatibility of existing parts.

I've managed to find bare cylinder heads with the casting number #6. My plan is to reuse as many parts as possible from my original standard heads if are compatible with the #6 heads, and then purchase any remaining parts specifically needed for the W-31 upgrade.
could you please advise which one can reuse and the ones i have to get w-31 specific part:

-Rocker Arms and their Pivots: kindly advise.

-Push Rods: kindly advise.

-Valves Rotators: kindly advise.

-Intake/Exhaust Valves Seals: kindly advise.

-Damper Springs: kindly advise.

-Valves Keyes: kindly advise.

-Intake/ exhaust valves; To my knowledge i have to get the W-31 specific ones.

-Valves Springs: To my knowledge i have to get the W-31 specific ones.

-Camshaft and Lifters: To my knowledge i have to get the W-31 specific ones.

let me know if i missed any thing need to be replaced.

Thanks

Originally Posted by StickW31
For those of you who don't know who I am my name is Stephen Minore owner/operator of Cas-Am Performance & Restoration LLC located in Meriden Ct. In the past I have been involoved with many Oldsmobile engine builds and restorations. One of them was Scott Pierce's 1969 Olds F-Eightyfive W-31 which was 2008 Hemmings Muscle Machines, Muscle Car of the year. Earlier this year in January Scott got rid of his 1969 F-Eightyfive and replaced it with a 1970 Cutlass W-31. Scott again wants an engine upgrade in the new 1970 W-31 to compete in the Supercar class.

We have all the parts for this engine build and we'd like to give you guys a little insight of how the build will go.
Lets start with the block and modifications, then some pictures of the components that will be used in the build.

We are using the original numbers matching block. It has been alighn honed, decks have been squared and set to Zero. It's been bored and honed only to .030 over with torque plates. (All machine work done by Andy Miller @ Olds Performance Products in Suffern, NY)

please follow the link below for updates on the build

http://www.supercarraces.com/phpBB3/....php?f=4&t=485