1967 Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2024 | 01:53 PM

1967 Oldsmobile

Hello all. I recently picked up my first Oldsmobile, a 1967 barn find. I am working on getting it up and running but could use all the input and wisdom you Oldsmobile fanatics and dish out.

Last edited by BigShep; October 15th, 2024 at 02:04 PM.
Old October 15th, 2024 | 02:07 PM

Rescued

Yes there was poison everything, yes I was eat up.
Old October 15th, 2024 | 02:13 PM

Looks like someone installed go-fast parts on that thing. Headers, aluminum intake manifold, Holley carburetor(?), and chrome bling valve covers and alternator bracket.

Wait a minute... squared off valve covers with 4 bolts - is that a Chevrolet engine?

Last edited by Fun71; October 15th, 2024 at 02:16 PM.
Old October 15th, 2024 | 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Looks like someone installed go-fast parts on that thing. Headers, aluminum intake manifold, Holley carburetor(?), and chrome bling valve covers and alternator bracket.

Wait a minute... squared off valve covers with 4 bolts - is that a Chevrolet engine?
You are correct, Per my understanding it is a 400 small block.
Old October 15th, 2024 | 02:25 PM

Intake manifold is too narrow, valve covers are at the wrong angle and to high, and water pump does look like some "off breed" engine like a Chebby. I wonder if it has a Powerglide in it.
Old October 15th, 2024 | 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigShep
You are correct, Per my understanding it is a 400 small block.
That’s much better than some of the other possibilities.
Old October 16th, 2024 | 08:04 AM

Hello all. I recently picked up my first Oldsmobile, a 1967 barn find. I am working on getting it up and running but could use all the input and wisdom you Oldsmobile fanatics and dish out.
Depends on what you plan is, restore back to original, many directions you can go with this car.
Old October 16th, 2024 | 08:23 AM

I checked the gas tank and it was rotted. So I popped that off this past weekend. Replace it with a new one and a new sending unit. It didn't have a key so I replaced the ignition switch. Now I have to get power to her. All my batteries are dead so those are charging now.
I just need to get power to it and see if it will turn over.

My plans are just to get it running and driving. Nothing special at the moment. I do know the brakes are not working so I need to get those worked on but for now just running.
Old October 16th, 2024 | 06:18 PM
Oldsdruid

I'd rather see a 65-67 Olds 400 in there, or even a 350 or 403 small block Olds, but you need to figure out exactly what SBC and transmission you have. The 2-speed Jetaway will not bolt to a Chevrolet block, so it's likely someone transplanted a Powerglide into it.

SBC 400 is not one of my favorite engines. It's a smog era engine that has the cubic inches to move an early 70s full-size Chevy, but they have siamesed bores and Chevrolet engine foundry often had problems with core shift. Meaning the engine casting sometimes had thin cylinder walls.

You're usually OK long as it hasn't been bored. .030 over will usually run hotter than I like, and boring one .060 is running a risk of boring into what little water jacket they have.

Stick with us. We'll get the 67 going.
Old October 16th, 2024 | 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I'd rather see a 65-67 Olds 400 in there, or even a 350 or 403 small block Olds, but you need to figure out exactly what SBC and transmission you have. The 2-speed Jetaway will not bolt to a Chevrolet block, so it's likely someone transplanted a Powerglide into it.

SBC 400 is not one of my favorite engines. It's a smog era engine that has the cubic inches to move an early 70s full-size Chevy, but they have siamesed bores and Chevrolet engine foundry often had problems with core shift. Meaning the engine casting sometimes had thin cylinder walls.

You're usually OK long as it hasn't been bored. .030 over will usually run hotter than I like, and boring one .060 is running a risk of boring into what little water jacket they have.

Stick with us. We'll get the 67 going.

Great input. Thanks! Hopefully I can get up under it and get an idea of what trans is in it soon.
Old Yesterday | 03:24 PM

No fire

So I got out this morning and worked on the olds but it is not firing. Put a battery in, charged, new ignition switch but Nothing. It just isn't turning over, no power at all, no lights, no nothing. More to follow as I get it.

Last edited by BigShep; Yesterday at 03:40 PM.
Old Yesterday | 03:45 PM

If I may suggest- get a "momentary switch"- it's a push button switch you can pick up at the hardware store. Push it to close the switch, release and it opens again. Get some 12g wire, and a couple alligator clips. Wire the switch to the alli clips, then clip one to the "+" terminal on your solenoid and the other to the "+" battery terminal. Now you can crank the motor with your head under the hood, instead of having to do it from the drivers seat. Then get a spark tester- it looks like a spark plug, and you can crank the motor with your new starter switch (the key needs to be in the "on" position) and hold the spark tester close to the exhaust manifold and see if you have spark. If not, check your coil and your points.

I used the plastic box the switch came in and some duct tape to make a grip. Big clip goes to the battery, small clip to the little "+" connection on the solenoid- the little one, not the battery lead. Wires need to be long enough, of course...
Old Yesterday | 03:48 PM

Nice work cleaning it up, keep us posted.

That is truly a barn find, even the barn it was is in is a find...
Old Yesterday | 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Nice work cleaning it up, keep us posted.

That is truly a barn find, even the barn it was is in is a find...
Unfortunately the barn, tractor and entire property is being turned into a subdivision.

Look who was living in the car!!

look
Old Yesterday | 04:08 PM

That's funny! Would make a nice steering wheel cover...just kidding
Old Yesterday | 04:38 PM
Running On Empty

I've found a fair number past few weeks scurrying about looking for a winter slumber.
Old Yesterday | 04:43 PM
Running On Empty

Remove & clean negative ground cable-to-block, scrape sand area where neg. ground cable attaches to block.
Old Yesterday | 07:47 PM
Oldsdruid

Unfortunately the barn, tractor and entire property is being turned into a subdivision.

Look who was living in the car!!

look
Oh **** he'd have to go...😬 Rat snake or not, he'd have to go!

One plus to Mr Slithers living in it, is there probably weren't any mice. Mouse damaged wiring was first thing I thought about given the cool old barn the Cutlass was living in.

Will the engine turn over with a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley? I'd shoot some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder and let it soak a bit before trying to rotate it.

Olds wiring has a 10 gage wire running from battery + terminal to a junction block and horn relay on the fenderwell. That's the main power feed to the car. If it's not there car won't have any power.

Chevy made that power tap at the starter. You need to see if any of that wiring was changed when the SBC was installed.
Old Today | 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Oh **** he'd have to go...😬 Rat snake or not, he'd have to go!

One plus to Mr Slithers living in it, is there probably weren't any mice. Mouse damaged wiring was first thing I thought about given the cool old barn the Cutlass was living in.

Will the engine turn over with a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley? I'd shoot some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder and let it soak a bit before trying to rotate it.

Olds wiring has a 10 gage wire running from battery + terminal to a junction block and horn relay on the fenderwell. That's the main power feed to the car. If it's not there car won't have any power.

Chevy made that power tap at the starter. You need to see if any of that wiring was changed when the SBC was installed.
New setup runs power straight to the starter or to a solenoid on the starter. Probably due to being changed over to a Chevy motor.

Last edited by BigShep; Today at 11:07 AM.