1966 Cutlass Project in Pa

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2014 | 08:45 PM

Replaced the Accel points replacement kit with a Crane Cams version and got everything reset. It runs great and sounds awesome. The Crane Cams kit was well made and had a built in rev limiter, very nice components.

I have to replace a leaking steering box o ring (again) and get the TV cable anchored and operating properly. I am looking forward to the test drive is coming later this week.
Old April 17th, 2014 | 12:18 PM
The Noob Messiah

Sorry Larry I have been out of town for a week and didn't take time to boruse the board. How'd the test drive go?
Old April 17th, 2014 | 04:22 PM

We took it around the block last night and it was very gratifying to enjoy all of the work we put into it. I still need to hook up the TV cable, tweak the timing a little more and figure out why my brakes started binding. I didn't even notice it until it was parked back in the garage and it wouldn't budge when I tried to push it in the last few feet.
MAW rebuild the back brakes so they are all new too. I will see if it is a back wheel before I start getting crazy again. I noticed the drivers side drum was a little tighter than the passenger side, but they seemed to work fine when I drove it last Fall.
Anybody have the tiny hex headed screw to hook the TV cable to or know where to find them?
Old April 20th, 2014 | 05:23 AM

Soooo. The problem seems to be booster. The shaft that transfers force from the brake peddle to the master cylinder was too long. I adjusted it all the way in and used the spacers from the original single chamber master cylinder TEMPORARILY.

Now I just need to find the shorter style plunger and should consider the smaller dis booster. The car ran great and it was fun to see what it had without the brakes holding us back.
Old May 18th, 2014 | 08:03 AM

I have been enjoy some cruising time lately and have been working out some of the bugs. I built throttle linkage which provides enough travel to fully open the carburetor and realigned the transmission kick down linkage.

Unfortunately my steering linkage has been grinding into the side of my oil pan during hard left turns leaving a deep gauge and bringing my fun to a screeching halt. This didn't turn up on the lift and I do have the low clearance steering linkage in place. If I attempt to tap it in to get 1/4" of clearance needed, I am nearly certain I will crack through the pan. I can't believe I need to pick out may engine and replace with a low profile oil pan. The left side of the pan is shaped differently and had plenty of clearance. Oh well, it's all part of the fun...