1965 Oldsmobile F85 project

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2014, 05:16 PM

Arrow 1965 Oldsmobile F85 project

I recently purchased this 1965 Oldsmobile F85 Deluxe with 59,000 original miles. The car came up from Florida and was stored since 2003. It currently has a 225 6 in it but eventually that will change (years down the road). The car runs and drives but still needs a fair amount of work with the brakes, interior, and some minor cosmetics.
The best part: NO rust

I am 18 and in college so this will definitely be a long term project, but I am in love with this car and hope you will like it as well. Over the long term I would like to make this a 442 clone with the rare vinyl stripe decal that very few 442s had back in this year.

I am also looking for the 442 side scoops if anyone knows where I could find some. That is just about the only thing I can't find.

I will keep you updated!

- Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0766.jpg (94.5 KB, 117 views)
IMG_0772.jpg (93.8 KB, 112 views)
IMG_1495.jpg (82.6 KB, 117 views)
photo 3.jpg (69.5 KB, 106 views)
photo 2.jpg (71.6 KB, 105 views)
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Nice looking car. It is great to see younger people involved with classic cars.
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Administrator

X2, so whats the plan?
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
X2, so whats the plan?
The plan is to get her road/inspection worthy for spring
Get her to some car shows spring, summer, and fall and enjoy her while doing some work. Its no show car quality but definitely a driver and an "enjoyer."
I am fairly handy with cars but what I can't do my dad will help and teach me.

Once I am out of college I would like to actually get working on restoring the car. The car is currently a Fireball v6 225ci with 59,000 miles, but eventually I would like to drop either a 400 or 461 in her. Trust me I am someone who believes in keeping things matching numbers, but I want this car to be something I can enjoy and drive. Eventually when I do get around to putting the new motor in her I will keep the v6 and the tranny out of it and rebuild those while they are out of the car to keep on the side incase I ever want her to be matching numbers.
I also was given a set of I believe they are 1969 and 1970 oldsmobile rims with good tires to put on the car after I repaint them to match

Any suggestions?
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a great plan and I bet your Dad will be glad to guide you. The nice part is you picked a fairly simple car to work on and will garnish a lot of attention at car shows. Do the safety stuff first.
Old November 26th, 2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sounds like a great plan and I bet your Dad will be glad to guide you. The nice part is you picked a fairly simple car to work on and will garnish a lot of attention at car shows. Do the safety stuff first.
Will do! I believe we are working on brakes this weekend if the snow lightens up. In addition I need to put the belts back in. Luckily the original owners opted for a car with seat belts as if I am correct this was one of the last years they were completely optional in the car, or at least in the rear
Old November 26th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Be sure to check the dates on the extra tires, if their older than 8 years old they could be dangerous. Even if they have great tread the rubber degrades inside and out.
Cool car, I like that its an F85 build it to please yourself.
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
Be sure to check the dates on the extra tires, if their older than 8 years old they could be dangerous. Even if they have great tread the rubber degrades inside and out.
Cool car, I like that its an F85 build it to please yourself.
I will have to do so, thank you for the tip.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Registered Luser

Great find! It looks like it might be code L, Turquoise Mist! Hard to tell from the pics....or code B, Nocturne Mist. If it is Turquoise, my favorite color! Good luck with it. Will be watching for sure!
Old November 27th, 2014, 06:19 AM

nice pickup, if you need any parts I have a few for a 65, cant tell from pics might be same color as mine,have any questions about your car let me know and I will try to help out,welcome to classic olds
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Great find! It looks like it might be code L, Turquoise Mist! Hard to tell from the pics....or code B, Nocturne Mist. If it is Turquoise, my favorite color! Good luck with it. Will be watching for sure!
Thank you!
I believe the car was repainted slightly darker than its original color. there are a few signs that point to this. I will check up on the code from the #s and get back to you on what color it is. I am a big fan of dark blue so I can't complain about its color
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:06 AM

That is a very nice F-85 to start with. I wish I could have ran into that one! It would be in my shop! If you would like to get some ideas, my thread is on page two in this section titled "update progress on 64 Post Car" I have been building this 64 F-85 for over 4 years. From help in this Club and a HUGE learning curve, its coming together. I may update it with some pictures and additional notes later today. Good luck keep us updated.
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
That is a very nice F-85 to start with. I wish I could have ran into that one! It would be in my shop! If you would like to get some ideas, my thread is on page two in this section titled "update progress on 64 Post Car" I have been building this 64 F-85 for over 4 years. From help in this Club and a HUGE learning curve, its coming together. I may update it with some pictures and additional notes later today. Good luck keep us updated.

Thanks therobski, I will certainly enjoy the project and I think the car will definitely stay with me forever. Over time I plan to evolve the car and look forward to doing so.
I will be sure to keep everyone updated!
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:51 PM

welcome....

Nice ride, I actually dig the v6, I think that was also used by buick? You might want to check with joe padavano, but I believe that engine may be able to use the supercharger etc from a pontiac sse? Or perhaps a buick turbo etc, not sure what bolts up but believe that motor was a corporate v6 , that made I the rounds and came back to gm, just. Saying it could be a cool build and something you dont see everyday... I dont really know a lot about the v6s but joe p does.
Old November 30th, 2014, 08:51 PM

Here are some pictures from today. Took my dad and I an hour to get her started due to a few shitty batteries, but once we had her going she started up and purred like a kitten.
To my surprise all of the lights (dash and behind radio lights) worked as well. The dome light finally gave way and the corroded bulb fell apart, but as far as all the lights in the entire car, only one reverse light is out, everything else works.
Also found out you can take the key out of the ignition in the "accessories" setting, so I will need to be careful I don't forget that and burn out a battery.

One picture here is of the 442 wheels I was given with the car to restore and put on her to match the car and to go with the 442 clone theme I will eventually work on.
Another picture is of us jump-starting the car, taken from my dad's chevy avalanche as I kept the tac at 2200.
Other pictures are just of the car as is in the moment. Yes that is a mafia 1 license plate. The story behind it and the car is that the car belonged to some pretty sketchy people back in the day. The rear window and side windows are tinted to the point you can not see through them. In addition the pipes out the back are clearly aftermarket cannons. The car sounds mean and previous owner believed it may have been used possibly by a member of the mafia or a Florida gang, (car came from Florida). Just a theory, but a fun one.
Attached Images
IMG_1341.jpg (82.7 KB, 59 views)
IMG_1595.jpg (60.2 KB, 59 views)
IMG_1596.jpg (82.1 KB, 63 views)
IMG_1594.jpg (98.1 KB, 73 views)
Old November 30th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Nice ride, I actually dig the v6, I think that was also used by buick? You might want to check with joe padavano, but I believe that engine may be able to use the supercharger etc from a pontiac sse? Or perhaps a buick turbo etc, not sure what bolts up but believe that motor was a corporate v6 , that made I the rounds and came back to gm, just. Saying it could be a cool build and something you dont see everyday... I dont really know a lot about the v6s but joe p does.
I will have to look into that Eddie. I think the v6 is a cool feature, I mean it will surely keep the insurance down and the mom happy knowing I'm not out there doing burnouts
Ill do some research and check up on that.
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM

Progress is slow

So as of right now the car sits under about 3 and a half feet of snow, so no major progress yet. Winterized her and put a car cover on to keep it clean.

I was able to acquire the few trim pieces I needed for the passengers side rear, (one was broken and a few others looked like they were banged out with a hammer) thanks to a good new friend here.

I also am looking into interior options as my seats are pretty bad. I believe the back one is salvageable just needs to be cleaned. Front has some good rips.
Back side panels have some good mold spots but hoping I can just clean them off.
Also need a headliner, thinking of skipping the carpet for now and just painting with nonskid instead (can always put carpet in later).

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:16 PM

Alex check out this site they are 64/64 cutlass 442 site . A lot of good people also. Rick
Home | 1965 Oldsmobile 442 Forum They are 1964-65
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by alexsangi
So as of right now the car sits under about 3 and a half feet of snow, so no major progress yet. Winterized her and put a car cover on to keep it clean.

I was able to acquire the few trim pieces I needed for the passengers side rear, (one was broken and a few others looked like they were banged out with a hammer) thanks to a good new friend here.

I also am looking into interior options as my seats are pretty bad. I believe the back one is salvageable just needs to be cleaned. Front has some good rips.
Back side panels have some good mold spots but hoping I can just clean them off.
Also need a headliner, thinking of skipping the carpet for now and just painting with nonskid instead (can always put carpet in later).

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know
Have you checked out the w29.board.net

I know there was a guy selling a rear seat and buckets seats for 450 plus shipping looked like all it needed was a good scrubbing, if there still available color was light blue also there is currently a few cars being parted
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:47 PM

Nice '65, motor is a Buick V6, not original to car, car looks to be real solid, great to have southern medal.
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Nice '65, motor is a Buick V6, not original to car, car looks to be real solid, great to have southern medal.
Didn't olds use the Buick v6 ?
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM

Would be straight six in '65.
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Would be straight six in '65.
Not saying your wrong but took this from Wikipedia
Buick's 225 cu. in. (3.7 L) Oddfire V6 was the standard engine
For 64,65
66 straight 6 now wiki could be wrong just trying to be sure

Last edited by oldstata; February 10th, 2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:12 PM

I stand corrected, thought by '65 it was an Olds motor.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:56 AM

the buick v6 was original to the 65 cutlass