The 14 year old ordeal coming to a close.

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2016, 07:37 PM

The 14 year old ordeal coming to a close.

Finally within a couple of weeks of being able to enjoy a burger and a shake with the top down and the Everly Brothers rockin'. These pics are of dry clear coat, pre buffed and polished. Cant wait to see it in the sunlight. Well optioned, big block, manual convertible. Hasn't been on the streets since 1982.

Restoration was with NOS parts and as next to stone original, other than the engine internals, as can be done. The dyno should be interesting.

Last edited by hansumtoad; July 3rd, 2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old June 25th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Nice, can't wait to see it all back together.
Old June 25th, 2016, 08:31 PM
same but different

I'd be pretty excited! too. You're almost there.
Old June 26th, 2016, 06:35 AM
72 Olds CS

Looks good what color is that?
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by hansumtoad
Finally within a couple of weeks of being able to enjoy a burger and a shake with the top down and the Everly Brothers rockin'. These pics are of dry clear coat, pre buffed and polished. Cant wait to see it in the sunlight. Well optioned, big block, manual convertible. Hasn't been on the streets since 1982.

Restoration was with NOS parts and as next to stone original, other than the engine internals, as can be done. The dyno should be interesting.
Git-r-done! (Be careful with that paint though)👍
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:24 AM

Color?

This isn't a true representation of the color. I called the painter all excited that he had used the wrong paint. Its way too tan, almost a champagne color. The color is Hurst Gold. The cowl tag for the lower color is -- . They said to relax as once the car gets out of fluorescent light and into the sun, its changes to what you would expect - a very warm buttery gold. Some earlier pics confirmed this.

The decision was to apply the original color with no clear tp approximate a factory finish and then wax, wax, wax like back in the day. Or, the apply a show paint job, clear it, and polish. I ended up letting the shop make the call. What you see is dry clear with no polishing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455 with ram air base.jpg (212.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg
Open drivers door 101415.jpg (285.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by hansumtoad; June 26th, 2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:14 AM

I'm guessing that it was a Nugget Gold car originally? Looks like it will really sweet once out in the sun.
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:00 PM

Nugget Gold was not offered in 1972 - only Baroque, Saturn, and Sovereign. Of those, Soverign is the closest but not quite right.

That said, the window sticker states as I recall 'Special - Hurst Gold'. When the car is parked next to a '72 H/O in the sun the gold is virtually a dead nuts match although the originals seem to have faded a little. Supposedly the car will be ready to be driven late the coming week. Will be watching the weather forecast for rainstorms since the top doesn't go on until the second week in July. Need to get a state inspection and shake out all the small issues from such a long sleep. Can not wait! Sixteen years from dropping it off the blocks until now.

@RROLDSX - Roger the soft paint. It will be at least a week until we slide the boot tabs under the deck trim to cover the top frame. Have been advised to put some Teflon grease on the tabs. Painter is an experienced restorer and does meticulous work as says that's OK. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by hansumtoad; June 26th, 2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:06 PM

Nugget Gold was not offered in 1972
As the year of your car wasn't listed in your previous posts, I assumed with the -- paint on your data tag, that it was a '70. As Sovereign Gold isn't listed as an A Body color, I can only guess that it may have been offered on the full size line up. Very unusual to have "Special Hurst Gold" listed on the window sticker, has to be a very low production in that color.
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
As the year of your car wasn't listed in your previous posts, I assumed with the -- paint on your data tag, that it was a '70. As Sovereign Gold isn't listed as an A Body color, I can only guess that it may have been offered on the full size line up. Very unusual to have "Special Hurst Gold" listed on the window sticker, has to be a very low production in that color.
My apologies. I'm certain I listed the year and such on a previous post but that could have been several years back. As I said, this has been an ordeal.

It is a very, very late production 72 Cutlass Supreme convertible. I was Joe Stupid when I bought the car and never really ever PLANNED to have it this long. Fact is, I sold a Pantera to obtain the money to buy the Cutlass.

It was not until the last few years was it made known to me just how rare the car is. Its not a 442 although it is a manual. Why" It is an M15 code transmission with a ( I think ) W39 shifter. Dont see many of those. The car was ordered as a 350 Ram Rod with a 3 speed, but that's not what was delivered. Anyway.... I fell head over heels the day it was delivered and still am head over heels. NOTE: Now I find the term "Ram Rod" was only used on earlier vintage Cutlasses. I guess the proper term would be 350 OAI with a W25 hood option. I stand corrected.

Last edited by hansumtoad; June 29th, 2016 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:39 AM

The 14... no 15 1/2... yr ordeal is NOT coming to a close.

Temp gauge went full hot within a mile of the painter's shop. Replaced the Fan Clutch thinking that was it. Better, but still an issue. Down to timing, carb, air bubble in rad, or sending unit. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Cant address anything until July 6th. There are so many issues I don't even know where to start. If anyone has any bright ideas or has had this issue previously... please chime in.

At least the paint looks fab in the sun. This is the way it is supposed to look.
Attached Images

Last edited by hansumtoad; July 3rd, 2016 at 08:16 AM.