Heater box- correct sheen?

Old November 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Heater box- correct sheen?

I'm working on restoring the heater box in my '69 Cutlass. Currently it's finished in a mix of surface rust and factory black.

My question is, what is the appropriate sheen for such parts? I'm not looking at a winning show car type of finish, so flat, satin, semi, or gloss will suffice.

Is there a guide or a post anywhere as to what sheens go where on these interiors? Parts such as the e-brake assembly or anything else that was standard black regardless of the interior color (though I am switching to a black interior as well, but I'm assuming the paints/sheens are different for items such as the lower and upper metal portions of the dash).
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM

semi gloss black. the firewall would be semi flat black.
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM

heres one from a 65 being restored

DSC_0680.jpg
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM

The assembly manual will give some information on colors and the type of gloss but not for everything. The heater box will not be mentioned as far as finish but it does give info on the dash. The top of your dash will be flat black (since you're changing to black) and the lower will be semi gloss. I have found that the Krylon paint in the attached photo matches the factory semi gloss black very well. This paint is sold in semi gloss too but you want to get it in semi flat. Use this on the lower dash and your steering column and it will be as close to the factory finish as you can get IMO. Also attached is a photo of a steering colum painted with this Krylon paint.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
09 2 7 Steering Column D.jpg (47.9 KB, 77 views)
Semi Flat Black Paint.jpg (49.2 KB, 76 views)
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
The assembly manual will give some information on colors and the type of gloss but not for everything. The heater box will not be mentioned as far as finish but it does give info on the dash. The top of your dash will be flat black (since you're changing to black) and the lower will be semi gloss. I have found that the Krylon paint in the attached photo matches the factory semi gloss black very well. This paint is sold in semi gloss too but you want to get it in semi flat. Use this on the lower dash and your steering column and it will be as close to the factory finish as you can get IMO. Also attached is a photo of a steering colum painted with this Krylon paint.

Brian
Ok, just so I'm clear, you are suggesting that to match the factory "semi-gloss" finish, to use Krylon's semi-flat because it's a good match for the semi-gloss? That column looks amazing btw!

(a fellow)Brian
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by blunce
Ok, just so I'm clear, you are suggesting that to match the factory "semi-gloss" finish, to use Krylon's semi-flat because it's a good match for the semi-gloss? That column looks amazing btw!

(a fellow)Brian
Hi Brian,

Yes, use the Krylon Semi-Flat to match the OEM Semi gloss.

Brian must be more popular a name than I thought as I come across this name quite a bit. Walked into local FedEx store a few weeks back and of the 5 employees there, 3 were guys....and we all named Brian. I asked the one guy if being named Brian was a requirement for employment at that store. He got a real kick out of that...a little too much if you ask me. I'll bet that manager has her hands full...."Hi, I spoke to Brian about posters I need and I want to go ahead with that order..."

Brian
Old December 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM

Brian

Hey Brian, can you tell me what the number is on that paint? Seems there's a bit of "controversy" regarding semi-flat black (http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307355) and when Krylon allegedly changed the formula but says it's the same. Either way, I believe those two paints mentioned in that thread are a different animal. I've been unable to locate the specific Krylon product you pictured above. So a number and a location of where you got it if you can? Thanks!

Brian
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by blunce
Hey Brian, can you tell me what the number is on that paint? Seems there's a bit of "controversy" regarding semi-flat black (http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307355) and when Krylon allegedly changed the formula but says it's the same. Either way, I believe those two paints mentioned in that thread are a different animal. I've been unable to locate the specific Krylon product you pictured above. So a number and a location of where you got it if you can? Thanks!

Brian
Those poor Chevelle guys are so confused and have themselves all worked up.

Brian, they are talking about a different series of Krylon paint and I also believe that paint was lacquer. The one I use is the Rust Tough Enamel which will also be more durable. The part number is RTA9203. I bought mine at a local auto parts store (Salvo Auto Parts) but in a quick Google search I see it's carried by Advance Auto and Sears. Check your local auto parts stores if you don't have a local Advanvced Auto. I also see it's sold by Summit Racing and on Amazon. We'll keep this little secret to ourselves and will let the Chevelle boys continue to drive themselves into a frenzy!

Brian
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Those poor Chevelle guys are so confused and have themselves all worked up.

We'll keep this little secret to ourselves and will let the Chevelle boys continue to drive themselves into a frenzy!

Brian
LOL, agreed!

Thanks, I'll check advanced and/or Sears then.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:04 AM

I thought I'd chime in to add to the Brian roster, as well as add to the semi-flat/semi gloss topic. I have also used the Rust Tough Krylon paint with great success. The only difference is the cans I bought were part number 49203 here in Canada. I have also used Duplicolor semi gloss with good results, albeit slightly shinier, still very nice. I have enclosed pictures of before/after after my recently completed heater box. I believe used the Duplicolor paint. Either way, I think you'll be happy.
Attached Images
P3052661-1.jpg (63.4 KB, 46 views)
P2094084-1.jpg (42.5 KB, 47 views)
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:11 AM

See that...the name is even popular in Canada! Nice job on the heater box.

Brian
Old September 18th, 2014, 08:49 AM

What color should the engine firewall heater box be; semi or gloss?