Rally Pack Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Rally Pack Gauges?

I have a '71 Cutlass Supreme convertible, and would like to get some gauges set up without ruining the stock interior. One possible route is replacing the left gauge "pod" (round unit in my 71) that currently has a fuel gauge and 3 idiot lights with a pod from the Rally package of the same year. I belive the left "pod" had temp, volts, and oil pressure, which is probably fine.

Anyone know how involved this will be? Assuming I have the appropriate sending units in place, is the factory wiring harness apt to support this or will I need to custom wire the gauges? And, are those gauges in the Rally pack any good?
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I've never done it myself...don't know anybody that has...but take a look at this:
Idiot lights http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o.../71AbodyV8.jpg
Gauges http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ypakwiring.jpg

Best I can say is, compare the diagrams (especially the pins at the dash) and make sure you have the right sending units.

C.J.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by texasred
I've never done it myself...don't know anybody that has...but take a look at this:
Idiot lights http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o.../71AbodyV8.jpg
Gauges http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ypakwiring.jpg

Best I can say is, compare the diagrams (especially the pins at the dash) and make sure you have the right sending units.

C.J.
Now that is VERY useful. If/when I tackle this, I'll be sure to post my results here. MANY THANKS!!!
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

It certainly LOOKS like the left pod (idiot lights to gauges) requires changing the pins around while the right pod (clock/tach) is the same. Check out the instrument cluster connectors at the bottom of each page.

C.J.
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I looked into doing the same. BAP makes new gauges with the cross over connectors. not a cheap investment but probably a cool one. It wouldnt be hard to do it yourself from a junk yard find. Just swap a few wires based on a wire diagram.

BB
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by bigbrother
I looked into doing the same. BAP makes new gauges with the cross over connectors. not a cheap investment but probably a cool one. It wouldnt be hard to do it yourself from a junk yard find. Just swap a few wires based on a wire diagram.

BB
They do? I'm not finding them in the catalog I downloaded a couple of weeks ago. Did they just add them? Or are they available online only?
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I called them about three weeks ago or so and they told me that they are remaning these with another company. New item not in their cat. I wouldnt trust the accuracy of any cat. Parts become avail and not avail all the time.
BB
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Brothers has them on ebay.

IF you want to do business with them.

C.J.
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Brothers has them on ebay.

IF you want to do business with them.

C.J.
Sounds like you've had problem with Brothers, or eBay, or both?

Also just hunted around on eBay a bit... on "Rally pack gauges" and "Rally Gauges" and "Olds gauges" and "Oldsmobile Gauges" etc and found nothin besides the usual used stuff. Thoughts?
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I like ebay.

Some....or should I say "a certain"....retailer has taken legal action against posters at Realoldspower.com that had made negative posts about them. I guess that's easier than going on the board and defend themselves or make it right.

So rather than expose the owners of this board and myself to legal acton, I chose not to make any commens directly either for or against most retailers.

I stand by what I said and the way I said it.

C.J.
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

I like ebay.

Some....or should I say "a certain"....retailer has taken legal action against posters at Realoldspower.com that had made negative posts about them. I guess that's easier than going on the board and defend themselves or make it right.

So rather than expose the owners of this board and myself to legal acton, I chose not to make any commens directly either for or against most retailers.

I stand by what I said and the way I said it.

C.J.
Wow, very uncool. Good thing there's competition - I suspect I'll lean towards them now.
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:58 AM

Oh, guess I should have looked here before I posted in the electrical section!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CutlassDash1.JPG (94.6 KB, 157 views)
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM

I've got a Rally Pak in a box in my attic. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to pull the dash out of my '72 Supreme conv and try to make them work. f.y.i. the right pod has a clock a tachometer.
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM

I got a a repop Rallye Pac from The Parts Place and have been somewhat happy with it. Some pics are at www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum
The set looks and fits nicely BUT...
1 - you have to make your own wiring connectors to hook up the clock and tach. It is only 3 wires and simple IMHO. (Gauge cluster is fine but you have to rearrange the wires in the plug - a simple task.)
2 - the night lighting is horrible. On the tach, only the tack ponter shows.
The fix is to up the bulbs to 168 and open up the cases to paint the front reflector rings baby blue to reflect the light to the faces. The stock gauges are like this. I also painted the inside case of the tach white (as it was only half painted) and now they look great when lit up!

If any of you choose to tackle this, I can give you the exact procedure as I documented it well.
I just installed the new sensors so after this weekend I will really know how they stack up.

-Rob