GM Sports $200 Aftermarket Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:36 PM

GM Sports $200 Aftermarket Tachometer

Just wanted to see who else has bought one of these tach's.
http://www.gmsportssalvage.com/?q=node/864

I just got mine in the mail today from Fedex and after opening it, I was not too enthused.

It weighs only a few ounces, and it's 99% plastic.
Maybe I'm just one unlucky buyer who got a bad mold here, but my plastic gauge
case is so warped it doesn't even meet the gauge face ring. Pics attached.

I contacted Steve from GM Sports and he said he will exchange it for me.
But he was saying at first, it won't matter because you won't see this BEHIND the gauge bezel.
Obviously, but not what I was expecting for $200.

I'm just hoping this was an odd ball and not a common thing.
So I was curious if any other buyers here have the same problem and if it's a bad mold
or just one unfortunate manufacturing error ?? I don't want to waste another 2-3 weeks
trying to exchange it unless it's worth it.

Yes, hard to believe but that cover is actually FLUSH with the 3 bolt mounting holes.
That's how warped this case was.
GMSports442Gaugewarped2800x600.jpg

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 9th, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM

That kinda figures. I thought about getting one, but $200 for a tach thats not close to factory seems pricey. Good to know they are junk though.
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM

I'm curious on this too... my parts place tic-toc repop gave up the ghost, and I was looking at these as a more readable replacement... anyone have a good experience?
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan K
I'm curious on this too... my parts place tic-toc repop gave up the ghost, and I was looking at these as a more readable replacement... anyone have a good experience?
Gave up the ghost? I'm sorry what does that mean? lol
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Gave up the Ghost = Died.
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:48 AM

I wound up going with this tach in the link below:

http://www.classicinstruments.com/ga...&SeriesCode=GS

For around the same price you paid ($185) if I remember correctly. The font is a little smaller than I wanted, but it fit and provides accurate readings. So all in all I am happy with it.

d1
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM

How long did you have them? I considered them a while back, but they are awfully pricey.
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:50 AM

They are nasty send it back!!
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by jpc647
How long did you have them? I considered them a while back, but they are awfully pricey.
Stopped working about a year and a half after I got it. The car was in the process of being painted and various rework for about a year of that time, so I would guess there was probably 1000 miles of actual drive time on the tach.

Parts Place said tough luck. Same as they said when my hood purchased off ebay with minor damage (they sell their slightly damaged hoods at a discount on ebay) showed up with many more problems then advertised. Haven't bought from them since.
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Stopped working about a year and a half after I got it. The car was in the process of being painted and various rework for about a year of that time, so I would guess there was probably 1000 miles of actual drive time on the tach.

Parts Place said tough luck. Same as they said when my hood purchased off ebay with minor damage (they sell their slightly damaged hoods at a discount on ebay) showed up with many more problems then advertised. Haven't bought from them since.
Interesting. I have a gift card to their store, I'll probably think twice now.
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM

Dude, that's bullsh*t IMO.

Parts Place is 45 minutes from me and first time I was in there I saw they had a 10 foot long 3 level high shelf FILLED with OEM boneyard gauge pulls. I'm talking about every muscle car known to man. I asked why there were no prices, and they said they're NOT for sale.

They just leave them out there to **** people off and sell their repops. I said that's kinda f**ked up. Now that I know their repops are junk, I'm not going that route either.
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647
Interesting. I have a gift card to their store, I'll probably think twice now.
Well, they have a lot of good parts, so I wouldn't write them off, just satisfy yourself with their reproduction parts before you leave with them. Would definitely use your gift certificates

Originally Posted by aceshigh
Dude, that's bullsh*t IMO.
x2. However, since they are halfway across the country from me and I got nowhere on the phone, I figured live and learn. One of the lessons - their damaged OAI hoods are not shipped with insurance... as they are damaged. As a result, if there is additional damage when it arrives at your door (as in my case), then they just point the finger at (their) shipper, and you are SOL - cause it's not insured!

A few other comments about their rallye pack gauges, the illumination was very weak until I refinished the surround in a bright silver... then it matched my speedo. Also, the temperature gauge spikes up about 15% whenever I turn my lights on - despite having grounded both my cluster and the gauge itself directly... which stressed me out for a while until I made the connection

Last edited by Dan K; February 15th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.