1970 Bucket seat foam

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2018, 03:53 PM

1970 Bucket seat foam

I have been looking at seat foam, for my 70 cutlass supreme. ( has no channels ) I thought all Gm 68 to 72 buckets used the same frames. But when I look at the foam kits, it's 66 to 70, then 71 to 72 ! what is different ? And I also notice, some come with just foam, and some with a backing glued to the foam. What is the best company to go with? Legendary? PUI? or ? Need to get these ordered A.S.A.P. so I can keep moving on my Cutlass. Thanks
Old October 6th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Talk to CO member Rambo. He's been putting together seat repair kits.
Old October 6th, 2018, 06:19 PM

I looked at his posting. He has in is add, doesn't include the buns/ foam.

Last edited by Rustbucket2; October 6th, 2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old October 6th, 2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rustbucket2
I looked at his posting. He has in is add, doesn't include the buns/ foam.
He does do some reviews of the various foam companies on his website
Old October 7th, 2018, 04:11 AM

I just recovered the buckets on my '68. Ben(rambo) was very helpful. I bought his burlap & padding kit. He sent me a bunch of helpful pics & tips. I believe he uses ACI(american cushion industries) foam. It's the brand Legendary sells. They're $259 for the 4pc set. Lucky for me I didn't need to replace the foam but I did get my seat covers from Legendary & they were outstanding!!! Definitely worth the extra money over the PUIs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Ben

Hi guys thanks for the nice words....

1st off... American Cushion Industries buns are the ones you want. Well worth the extra $$. They are the only ones that are the correct density & firmness (SOFT!) like the factory was... All the others available today are overly stiff and will have your head in the headliner... not to mention the "other guys" buns don't have the install cloths glued on, so you are going to spend quite a bit of time cutting & gluing the muslin cloth on just so you can install the buns. American Cushion buns already have all that done. Ready to install out of the box.

Anyway, regarding the differences in the buns... The difference is the listing/bolster channel configuration for the specific covers you want to use.

The seat frames themselves are the same overall dimensions 66-72 and covers and buns & covers do interchange (yes there are many subtle differences year to year in seat frames & springs, but generally speaking they interchange and can be made to look like any other 66-72 GM Strato bucket seat)

The buns are specific to the cover design you are planning on using, not to the year of the seat frame.

The 66-70 buns have channels top and bottom. The 71-72 (for cutlass) has channels on the bottom and no channels on the top.
http://www.americancushionind.net/pr...egory/cutlass/

For a chevelle, 71/72 the buns have no channels at all, and pontiac & buick have other variations.

So if you need buns that have no channels top & bottom, just order the 71/72 chevelle buns. If you want a mixed set, then order the 71/72 cutlass/442 buns.

Hope that helps some!!!
Ben