1967 CS Holiday Coupe Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2018, 03:49 PM

1967 CS Holiday Coupe Dash Removal

I have got to be missing something!

I have seen several posts where this question has been asked, but I do not understand the Chassis Service Manual. I'm looking at the pages in section 12AA and I can not find the bolts/screws that are holding the dash pad in place. I see no screw heads, no nuts, or bolt heads that I can get to so I am unable to get the dash pad off which, I think, will allow me to get to the instrument cluster and the ignition switch.

My current problem is ignition switch, I need to wire a new one in place. However, I will eventually need to replace dash lighting and refurbish the dash so that it looks descent.

Help! I have got to be missing something. Help!
Old February 1st, 2018, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Send a pm to member rroth01, Ron Roth. He is our resident expert on these dashes, I believe he has an instruction set.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s/rroth01.html
Old February 1st, 2018, 04:08 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I can be reached at rroth01@att.net or 586-556-1234 Ron Roth
Originally Posted by babailey
I have got to be missing something!

I have seen several posts where this question has been asked, but I do not understand the Chassis Service Manual. I'm looking at the pages in section 12AA and I can not find the bolts/screws that are holding the dash pad in place. I see no screw heads, no nuts, or bolt heads that I can get to so I am unable to get the dash pad off which, I think, will allow me to get to the instrument cluster and the ignition switch.

My current problem is ignition switch, I need to wire a new one in place. However, I will eventually need to replace dash lighting and refurbish the dash so that it looks descent.

Help! I have got to be missing something. Help!
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:34 AM

The dash is held on with nuts. One over the headlight switch area, one by the lighter, one by the heater controls, one over the speaker and one by the radio,

These are very difficult to see and it is best to take the seat or seats out and lay a shipping blanket or similar on the floor, then lay on the floor to gain easier access to them. A light or a few lights is helpful. One that does not get hot to not to burn you hands. All are basically easy to get to except the one over the headlight switch is a little more difficult. You also need to unplug the headlight switch, wiper switch, and lighter, removing the radio is helpful, and if you take the screws out of the heater controls and leave the heater controls in the car that helps. Do not forget there is a speedo cable, and on top of the gauge cluster there is a screw holding a loop around the wiring harness. If you can I have found it is also easier if the remove the ignition switch and just let it stay in the car, To do this you have to take the tumbler out and the attaching ring off. If you have the key put it in the ignition turn it to the left (accessory position) then insert a straightened out paper clip into the hole on the tumbler and pull the tumbler assembly out. Now you can remove the attaching ring. If you do not remove the tumbler assembly first it will stop the ring from coming off. You will also need to unplug the harness from the printed circuit. Do this very carefully to not break any pins on the printed circuit. This is a common issue and if you have broken pins that must be fixed to get all functions to work correctly on the dash when reinstalled. This is not as hard as it seems just very uncomfortable to do. When I reinstall a dash I always use those toothy washers for ensuring a ground on all the mounting studs of the dash. A good secure ground helps to eliminate wiring issues later. The dash pad and instrument panel comes off as a unit. The pad can be removed from the instrument panel after the assembly is out. I did a thread on this a while back but can't seem to find it right now. I hope this helps and if you need more info please feel free to email and ask. I have done dozens of these. Larry lemoldsnut@aol.com

Last edited by lemoldsnut; February 2nd, 2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old February 5th, 2018, 01:08 PM

I think if Oldsmobile had spent a little more time thinking about the dashboard in the 1967 Cutlass, they could have made it a little more difficult! I have managed to get enough stuff out of the way to change my ignition switch (which did not fix my starting issue &^%$#), however, I have not been able to find all the screws/speed nuts to remove to actually get the dashboard out. But I'll save the dashboard removal for another day.
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:22 AM

If you were close I would come show you. These are not hard. Would it help if I took some pictures of the dash mount with dash removed for you? I have many of these cars.

Larry
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
If you were close I would come show you. These are not hard. Would it help if I took some pictures of the dash mount with dash removed for you? I have many of these cars.

Larry
Absolutely, pictures always help. I also wanted to talk to you about the availability of a Rally Pack gauge cluster for the 67 I assume I need the gauges and the appropriate printed circuit board (of course, appropriate sensors to drive the gauges as well). I'm building a restomod, so I don't need everything to be period correct, but I really like the tic tok tach
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:46 AM

I won't sell any tic toc tac set ups and for that matter don't even have one right now. Would put one in my own car if I did.

Email me direct and i will send you some pictures.

Larry

lemoldsnut@aol.com
Old February 6th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I've been contemplating removing mine, I as well as others wouldn't mind seeing the mounting point pics.