Need Help on Interior restoration for 60s oldsmobile super 88 holiday sedan

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2018, 05:47 PM

Need Help on Interior restoration for 60s oldsmobile super 88 holiday sedan

Im new to this but my two concerns are the seats and the door panels. The seats are completely dry rotted but the panels are in better shape any other advise would be greatly appreciated
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:06 PM

Nobody makes the seat covers new, but companies like SMS sell NOS fabrics and vinyl. Go to their website and request samples. They will send you a sheet with samples of the cloths and vinyls if they have them. They can usually make headliners in the original material. They also can make some embossed door panels. Im not certain about your 60, but they can make them for my 59. Not cheap, but its the only option. You will have to have an upholstery shop make the seat covers from the NOS materials.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:18 PM

Also im a 59 guy, so I'm not certain this applies to 60's as well but some of the super 88 and 98 Scenicoupes and Flattops(like yours) had a headliner made out of a material called "Starlite" that was not traditional cloth or vinyl but sheets of a type of sponge/foam that had sparkles in it. This material is not available anywhere and is usually falling down/crumbled. I have never seen an intact starlite headliner. If yours has this, you will need to switch to a cloth/vinyl type.