AC system questions 70-442

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2017, 07:50 AM

AC system questions 70-442

I have some of the factory parts for my car's factory AC. The previous owner took it all out. He told me the evaporator box would not clear the edelbrock heads and raised valve covers. There is a sheet meal cover over the hole now. I have no heat or air.

I have the underhood box with an evaporator in it and fan. I have the underdash box with the heater core. I have the compressor. (I believe it will not fit over the raised valve covers)

So I live in Memphis, and it is hot and humid.

If i rebuilt the factory system would it perform well or would it only be ok?
For example I have had many volvo 240s and with the factory system perfect, they are only slightly better than driving with the windows down.

Is it possible to use off the shelf parts and build a good system for cheaper than the vintage air system (1500)?

How well does the vintage air system work for those who have it?

thanks for your thoughts
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

GM A/C systems of the 1960s were among the best ever made. They will definitely freeze the interior, especially when using R12. Definitely rebuild the stock system. Nothing will fit with the tall valve covers, so you either need to lose those of come up with something non-stock.
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:42 AM

Is it possible to cut a relief in the corner of the box (I don't know what it is really called), and make an inset corner out of fiberglass. At this time changing out my valve train to get the regular valve covers on the motor is not going to be possible
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mattking
Is it possible to cut a relief in the corner of the box (I don't know what it is really called), and make an inset corner out of fiberglass. At this time changing out my valve train to get the regular valve covers on the motor is not going to be possible
The HVAC box is fiberglass, so yes you can do that. This still doesn't solve your compressor mounting problem. You'll need an aftermarket bracket and Sanden compressor. Classic Auto Air sells these, including the Olds-specific mounting bracket. It is not shown on their web page - you have to pick up the phone and talk to them. Of course, you'll need your POA valve recalibrated for R134 then.
Old July 7th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Thanks Joe,

I called them and we went through several options. I am going to see if I can modify my evap box to fit first. If so they are going to supply everything I need, to modify and rebuild the factory system. If not they recommend going to a under dash style unit and blocking off the firewall