1962 Ninety Eight trunk

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2016, 02:32 AM

1962 Ninety Eight trunk

Hi all,
I tore out a nasty carpet that was glued into the trunk of my '62 Ninety Eight and I have no idea what should be in there. I now have a bare trunk that I will coat with fresh black/aqua spatter paint. I also have some old cardboard fillers that are damaged.
SMS sell various trunk linings on the roll and Fusick sell maroon or blue linings and cardboard kits for the 1962 88 and Starfire but these will not fit the 98. My spare tyre clamps down under the rear window which means I have an empty well in the trunk, as opposed to a flat load area.
I've seen some trunks on similar age GM cars that appear to have a flat load area in the trunk and I'm not sure if this is because of the trunk shape or if the spare wheel is in the well and covered with a board or something similar.
Does anyone know what should be in there?
Thanks
Old November 22nd, 2016, 10:27 AM

I'm not a 62 expert but I assume the trunk would be very similar to my 63. Your spare is in the right place, these trunks do have a deep center well with a kind of shelf surrounding it since the fuel tank is behind the rear axle. I would assume the 98 would be similar to my Starfire which has the entire trunk floor covered with glued-on thin carpet with the cardboard covering the sides. The carpet kits are quite expensive since there are a lot of pieces required to cover that drop-down well. You may be able to use a Starfire kit plus extra matching material assuming your trunk is longer. The cardboard may have to be custom cut but I'm sure the basic material is available. Good luck!
Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:41 PM
Oldsdruid

This is a long shot but check with Ames or some of the other Pontiac vendors. Bonnevilles had the longer trunk same as Ninety Eights and even though the colors may not be the same the fit may be right.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:57 AM

Fusick have said that the Starfire panels and mat will not fit.
I'll ask Ames about the Catalina parts.
I have bought a full set of weatherstrip and rubber items from Steele and I noticed that there is some interchangeability with Buick and Caddy models. I couldn't find anything under Electra or Caddy parts though.