1970 c/s radio cut-out

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM

1970 c/s radio cut-out

my 70 cutlass has an aftermarket stereo in it with a larger hole cut in the dash for it.i have an original 70 am radio that i would like to re-install and i'll worry about the tunes later...i want to get it back to stock appearence ( i dont want a custom autosound replica unit). does anyone make a backing/mounting plate for a stock radio without going for a complete lower dash assembly? thanks Alan
Old June 27th, 2016, 03:28 AM
Lansing built

How bad? Pictures?

Pat
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:04 AM

Aftermarket radio still in dash. But it's definitely wider than the stock radio was. Was hoping that someone makes a plate or bracket to mount stock radio, but will try to fabricate one myself and then order the woodgrain trim
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Achcoastal
Aftermarket radio still in dash. But it's definitely wider than the stock radio was. Was hoping that someone makes a plate or bracket to mount stock radio, but will try to fabricate one myself and then order the woodgrain trim
I'm not aware of any such product. Replacing the dash is the only option short of a custom made part.
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll add that if you plan to use a woodgrain overlay, you might have better luck finding a broken dash and cutting the patch from it.
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Thanks Joe, I'll look into that,,,this would be a winter project anyway, so that will give me plenty of time to figure something out...Alan
Old June 27th, 2016, 08:59 AM

The lower section of plastic dash is replaceable. If someone has a dash w/ a pad that is no good you can salvage the lower section, it screws together 70-72. I believe the whole dash needs to be out for reasonable access to the screws. I did one years ago & can't remember the details but it is doable as the cleanest way out of it.
Old June 27th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bccan
The lower section of plastic dash is replaceable.
He knows that. While I don't disagree with you, we were responding to this:

does anyone make a backing/mounting plate for a stock radio without going for a complete lower dash assembly
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:18 PM

Won't really know what's left of the dash until I take out this jvc unit

Old June 28th, 2016, 06:21 AM

For my Olds radio I bought an Antique Automobile Radio. They have a 100% replica radio for a 1970 Cutlass. Have you looked in to those?
Old June 28th, 2016, 07:58 AM

Yes I have,nice stuff thanks
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:12 PM

fabricated a support for my stock am radio out of a piece of plastic stock.there was enough residual plastic left to attach this plate to my hacked up lower dash (the notches in the plate fit over what was left of the radio cut out) using Goop i glued the plate in from the back and then added more bracing with plastic and glue. i installed my 70 am radio with incorrect *****/bezels and all and it is secure. i may take OldsBobs advice and go with the AAR radio,get rid of the flowmasters for dynomax super turbos so i can here it and with a new piece of woodgrain trim i should be good to go. thanks for all the input and advice will post pictures shortly
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:23 PM

fabricated a support for my stock am radio out of a piece of plastic stock.there was enough residual plastic left to attach this plate to my hacked up lower dash (the notches in the plate fit over what was left of the radio cut out) using Goop i glued the plate in from the back and then added more bracing with plastic and glue. i installed my 70 am radio with incorrect *****/bezels and all and it is secure. i may take OldsBobs advice and go with the AAR radio,get rid of the flowmasters for dynomax super turbos so i can here it and with a new piece of woodgrain trim i should be good to go. thanks for all the input and advice will post pictures shortly
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:26 PM

pictures in reverse order lol
Old November 5th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Finally finished radio installation and cutout repair/rebuild. Went with antique automobile radio 1970-72 olds replica radio I'm really impressed with this radio, its basically hand built in the US and it was eight weeks to the day before it shipped but let me tell you it's well worth the wait and the money (not cheap). ***** and bezels are steel not plastic and the sound quality is state of the art. Was going to replace complete wood grain trim but was disappointed with the quality and texture of two different suppliers products and sent them back. The original factory trim is much better. So I made my own aluminum backed vinyl patches to fit behind the *****. Here are some before and after pics....this was a lot easier than swapping out a lower dash unit

Old November 5th, 2016, 05:29 PM

Did you get the Bluetooth option with that? How does it sound?
Old November 5th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Turned out great, nice work
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:09 AM
72 Olds CS

Looks good that radio Looks nice and hard to detect the repair.

I just looked up the price...ouchy $600 it does look like nicely made unit tho

Last edited by RetroRanger; November 6th, 2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old November 6th, 2016, 06:13 AM

yes they all come with bluetooth now,hands off phone calls etc. the radio sounds very good but the bluetooth is unbelievably good! i purchased mine at mike hagan aar for 530 total $510+20 s+h he was 40-70$ cheaper than most and when they say 6-8 weeks,they mean it.. so be patient
Old November 6th, 2016, 06:26 AM

thanks to Olds Bob for the heads up on AAR sugestion.
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:09 AM

how well does it tune into station? I read that the tuner is digital, but the tuner is analog? do you "tune" by turning the dial, or does it tune by turning and going automatically to the next strongest signal or station?

i WISH it had built in HD Radio. The stations in LA Area of SoCal are TERRIBLE. KEarth 101 plays the same songs over and over again. The HD Radio stations I pick up in other cars are far better and more variety. The only station that plays 60's music is on HD radio now.

I might just end up going with the competitor of this radio which has a XM radio attachment that can remain hidden. I just cant decide which looks better and sounds nicer. Regular Terrestrial radio is LONG dead so I will go with that sounds best and has the best potential for non-terrestrial radio addition.
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CuttyShark
i WISH it had built in HD Radio. The stations in LA Area of SoCal are TERRIBLE. KEarth 101 plays the same songs over and over again. The HD Radio stations I pick up in other cars are far better and more variety. The only station that plays 60's music is on HD radio now.
When I lived in SoCal in the 1980s, my radio dial was welded on KEarth. Even after I left, I was back regularly for business and KEarth was always my go-to station. Once they started playing 1980s songs, it was all downhill. Of course, here in the DC market, Oldies have been gone from the dial for over a decade. I just listen to MP3s now. Every rental car stereo has an aux input, so I'm good when I travel, also.

I wasn't even going to worry about the radio on my 67. I just wanted to get an original to put in the dash. I plan to get one of these hidden bluetooth MP3 stereos for music.

Old November 6th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Joe,
I like the out of sight unit, less pricy than the AAR. If one wired it with disconnects, it appears it could be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

I NEVER listen to AM/FM radio. I have a SIRIUS/XM tuner for my older vehicles and built in for the Jeeps. If I did not have satellite radio, I would use my MP3 player. When I was in college in the early 70s, they still had Roman numerals on the slide rule. Seriously I listened to KOFM Oklahoma City, they played complete albums or single sides (Moody Blues my fav).
Old November 6th, 2016, 03:10 PM

it is a digital tuner,you have 5 presets for am and fm and the slidebar to access each band .you manually tune a station and then push and hold the button for 5 seconds and its locked into the memory.the tuning needle moves to each progamned station,so you only have to manually tune this radio once. if you want something with digital letters to tell you what song your listening to or what time it is then this is not the radio for you.i put my phone to pandora,switch to bluetooth and get crystal clear music, or go to you tube and listen to whole albums,if the phone rings you push the middle button on the radio to talk or last button to ignore.radio has built in mic, eight different eq. settings and best of all it looks like it came with the car from the factory which the retrosound and other competitors dont even come close.
Old November 6th, 2016, 04:03 PM