Headliner bow question Cutlass 1966

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:33 PM

Headliner bow question Cutlass 1966

Hi
When I bought the car the headliner was gone. The bows are there but I am not sure that I have all of them? Just got my new headliner wich is supposed to have 5 headliner bows. In my car a Cutlass coupe 1966 I have 4 bows that are of the same diameter and the 5th bow in the middle is very thin and this on is not locked down in holes like the rest of them. This one is locked down by several pointy steel "arrows". Is this the 5th bow? Just wonder since its so thin compare to the others. Glad if someone could give me some info about this, searched the web but found nothing.

Thanks//
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:15 PM

Hello:
I will check my 66 Cutlass we are doing, I will get back to you ASAP.
Thanks, Ron
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:59 PM

My friend just put this in the 64, I was the helper and yes the thin one does not attach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3553.JPG (39.2 KB, 15 views)
IMG_3555.JPG (57.8 KB, 16 views)
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:31 PM

Hm... Guess that I am missing the middle bow then. Was looking at the steel frame that are suposed to hold the bows in place and in the middle where I miss the bow there are nothing to hold the bow in place. RonFX it would be so nice if you could take a picture of the middle section with the bow in place. Maybe it is possible to fabricate the bow that i miss. Thanks...
Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:47 AM

Hello:
The middle bow on mine seems to be free floating as well, it just sets between a couple of stamped indentations that are about 3/4" tall x 1/4" wide. The headliner is still in place, so it is hard to get a good picture of it. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Ron
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:16 AM

Thanks RonFX now I know how it should be. The only ting that prevent the bow from moving are these indentations. So I am sadly missing the midle bow but should not be to hard to fabricate one out of som round bar. Thanks again you have been very helpful...
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:21 AM

Well these pictures may not help at all. If remember correctly the thin bow attaches on the brace that goes across the roof, there's little clips but is does not attach at the ends. There should be I think 3 clips that are screwed to the roof panel on each sidethat the other rods attach too. I think I have an extra one of those, will try and find , take a picture for you.
Attached Images
IMG_3307.JPG (58.9 KB, 9 views)
IMG_3308.JPG (58.3 KB, 9 views)
IMG_3309.JPG (64.8 KB, 10 views)
IMG_3310.JPG (64.3 KB, 9 views)
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:24 AM

Im looking at the pictures again, see the clips on the brace that goes across, where the wires are for the dome lamp? That maybe where the thin rod goes.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:43 AM

Highlighted in black there should be a fastener with one screw holding it in place, that's where the ends of the rods go. Hard to see, but it may give you and idea.
Attached Images
IMG_3310 (2).jpg (100.7 KB, 10 views)
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:14 AM

#1,2,4,5 attach to one of three holes in the inside roof bracing at the sides, and in the center tongues on the front to rear brace. #3 attaches to multiple tongues in the central side-to-side brace and not at the ends.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:24 AM

Ok.. I have looked at my central side to side brace and I have a very thin bow there. This bow is held in place by very sharp and pointy metal

tongues. My bow i placed on the rear of my center brace. So maybe I got all the bows then? Starts to wonder since its so extremely thin compare to the others. Mine is not attached in the ends etiher. But when I was looking at the pictures of Therobski I could also see holes in each end below the central brace I have it in my car as well thats why I thought that the central bow was suposed to be in the midle of the center brace and the ends entering these holes. Very confusing maybe I need to take some pictures. Thanks a lot for all the help..
Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:38 AM

Looking at the pictures from Therobski, I thought the center bow was suposed to go were the cable for the dome light is and then entering the holes in the end of the center brace. My thin bow are on the rear side of the center brace. Therobski you wrote earlier: My friend just put this in the 64, I was the helper and yes the thin one does not attach.

I guess you mean that the bow should be used but its not attached to any holes like the other bows??Or have I completely got it wrong..

Thanks again
Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
#1,2,4,5 attach to one of three holes in the inside roof bracing at the sides, and in the center tongues on the front to rear brace. #3 attaches to multiple tongues in the central side-to-side brace and not at the ends.
Well this must be right!! I have not started to mount the headliner yet but when I look at the bows when they are in place the center bow is much higher up towards the roofpanel. Well I will figure it out...
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:08 PM

There you go, you will figure it out from the responses!!!