Horn contact

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Question Horn contact

So I am in need of a horn contact for my sport wheel and am looking for one on ebay. I am looking at one that lists it is for:

67-81 CORVETTE PONTIAC FIREBIRD HORN CONTACT KIT NEW GM and lists the applications below:

1967-1981 Chevrolet Camaro
1967-1981 Pontiac Firebird and Trans-Am
1967-1982 Corvette
76-81 fits most Chevy and Pontiac cars.

Will this work for a 72 Cutlass with the sport wheel?
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Sport Wheel Contacts

Are you looking for the piece that is held to the hub with screws and clips to the horn button? If so, you need something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68...2em118Q2el1247

If you need the small spring and plastic piece that makes contact with the steering column pin then this is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Ho...QQcmdZViewItem

If you just have a wheel, hub and horn button then you probably need both!
John
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Hello,

I do have the piece that screws to the wheel I just need the spring piece. Do all of the GMs share that same contact?

Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Grown Azz Kid

So I bought the spring kit but the horn will not sound. If I place a small scredriver in the place where the spring goes the horn works. Could it be that I got the right spring kit? The spring from the original delux wheel has a larger spring than the one I got. Can I make the one from the deluxe wheel work? And the contact pin that it came with seems to be a little short. Do I have any options?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
So I bought the spring kit but the horn will not sound. If I place a small scredriver in the place where the spring goes the horn works. Could it be that I got the right spring kit? The spring from the original delux wheel has a larger spring than the one I got. Can I make the one from the deluxe wheel work? And the contact pin that it came with seems to be a little short. Do I have any options?
I assume you have the correct turn signal cancel cam in place with the plastic tube that fits in the steering wheel hub. The spring goes in the plastic tube first, followed by the eyelet and retained with the small plastic cylinder with the nib. The nib fits into the slot in the tube on the cancel cam - press down and quarter turn - holding everything in place. The eyelet should extend up past the little retainer cylinder. The horn contact ring that retains the steering wheel center has an "L"-shaped tab that needs to sit on top of the eyelet, completing the circuit. Snap the horn button in place and you should be fine.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thanks, Joe,

The horn is now working but the eyelet that I was sent was too short to make contact so I had to get creative..

Thanks again