what's it worth--'68 442/Cutlass Bench seat

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2008, 07:22 AM

what's it worth--'68 442/Cutlass Bench seat

Hi--

I have the opportunity to pick up a very good condition front bench seat for my '68 442. It's black and from a '68 Cutlass. The only apparent flaw is a minor tear in the vinyl that can be repaired. Otherwise I'm told it's in excellent condition.

What do you think this is worth? I'm doing a partial trade, so I need to see how much to ask in addition to the bench seat.

Thanks.
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Normally it is worth almost nothing as everyone converts to bucket seats, they pull the bench seat, than can't find anyone that wants it.

However, If there is an eager buyer, it's worth whatever he is willing to pay.

If I really wanted/needed one, I might throw someone $50 for it.
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Well, I'm looking to buy one. The guy is trying to tell me it is worth a ton of money.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Well, I'm looking to buy one. The guy is trying to tell me it is worth a ton of money.
I wouldn't buy it then. It's just NOTworth a ton of money. I have a pristine bench that will be coming out of my 1972 because I'm putting in a power 4 way bench with armrest. The power seat needs reupholstery, but it's in pretty good shape and the tracks look like new. I bought it for 100.00 even. When I sell my old seat, it will look like it just came out of the factory, but I know it's only worth money to someone who's desperate to pay it. Bench seats just don't have the appeal and aren't worth the money that Strato buckets enjoy, and I think everyone on this forum will agree.

Move on to another seller or opportunity, unless you have money you don't mind parting with. FYI you can get the foam and reupholstering material from Fusicks and Parts place for a reasonable dollar, and then do it yourself if you've a mind to, and you're handy with that kind of thing.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I have one out of my '70 f-85 that you can have for $40. Needs recovering but the frame, foam, burlap and springs are in excellent cond. I'm also located in north NJ. JKaz
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Allan R
Bench seats just don't have the appeal and aren't worth the money that Strato buckets enjoy, and I think everyone on this forum will agree
Not I said the cow, on the appeal at least, I think buckets look weird in Vista Cruisers.
My straight bench seat with no power and no armrest cost me about 500 bucks now that it's been recovered, too nice to sit on. Worth about nothing otherwise.

I remember when girls sat next to the guy driving, buckets really eliminated that action.

Allan
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I kinda like the look of my split bench, no console, 4 spd.
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by amh555
Not I said the cow, on the appeal at least, I think buckets look weird in Vista Cruisers.
My straight bench seat with no power and no armrest cost me about 500 bucks now that it's been recovered, too nice to sit on. Worth about nothing otherwise.

I remember when girls sat next to the guy driving, buckets really eliminated that action.

Allan
I kind of like the idea of buckets in a stabbin cabbin. That is what the back is for any way
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Registered

LOL! Four on the floor and two in the back seat.

Allan
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM

OH BABY oh baby OHHHH
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM

Well, I ended up not getting it. I didn't think what he wanted for it was worth it. So, if anyone has a '68 bench seat out there, i'm interested. Can't be a '69 or 70 or anything else. After researching this, the front bench for '68 was the only year it was produced. The later years won't fit the seat covers.

Mine is a 4-speed, front bench seat 442. I think the combo is pretty cool.
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I might have a useable frame. You can have it but the upholstery is shot as well as padding and spring backing. the whole unit may shot, I will look net time I'm out to the in laws it is in Wisconsin, where are you? never mind, this unit might not be worth the cost to ship. let me know if you want me to check
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Bench Seats

Well.... it's after the fact but you guys may want to stop throwing your bench seats away. The four door seats I can't give away, but the two door with the folding backs are a different story. A rough but solid 68-72 bench seat for a two door is running about $100 here. They'll fit all GM A-bodies just like the bucket seats. Especially if they have the center folding arm rest, they're easy to sell. I know different parts of the country may be different, but that's my experience here. John
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
I might have a useable frame. You can have it but the upholstery is shot as well as padding and spring backing. the whole unit may shot, I will look net time I'm out to the in laws it is in Wisconsin, where are you? never mind, this unit might not be worth the cost to ship. let me know if you want me to check
Thanks. Yeah, it might not be worth it based on the shape you say it's in. Dan1s here on the boards was contacted about one on my behalf that's supposed to be fairly close, so I'm waiting to hear from him about that one.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Well.... it's after the fact but you guys may want to stop throwing your bench seats away. The four door seats I can't give away, but the two door with the folding backs are a different story. A rough but solid 68-72 bench seat for a two door is running about $100 here. They'll fit all GM A-bodies just like the bucket seats. Especially if they have the center folding arm rest, they're easy to sell. I know different parts of the country may be different, but that's my experience here. John
This is true John. These years do all fit in the car. However, with that said, the problem you run into is seat covers fitting. This is how this issue started. In fact, I think you might find more than a few threads by me containing this very issue. 1968 covers only fit 1968 seats. I'm not sure if they fit all '68 GM A-body seat or not. I never got confirmation of this.

Last edited by 68Tom; September 8th, 2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM

let me know what happens with dan1s seat, I will check condition on mine. It is straight out of a 68 f85 so it should take a cutlass or 442 cover without a problem. I didn't know they changed the styles at all through the production run. I will never use this seat and I am not looking to get rich so if you end up needing it it's yours.
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM

let me know what happens with dan1s seat, I will check condition on mine. It is straight out of a 68 f85 so it should take a cutlass or 442 cover without a problem. I didn't know they changed the styles at all through the production run. I will never use this seat and I am not looking to get rich so if you end up needing it it's yours.
Hi Chad;
I'm looking for the seat tracks for my 69 442 and saw this thread. Did you ever end up getting rid of your bench seat? All I need are the rails, but I live right next to the Duck Inn [12 miles east of Janesville] so I thought it would be worth asking!

Thanks
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM

I know it well. Right on the way to the parents. I will look at them and see if there is anything usable. You may be able to clean them up. but they were rusty as all get out. It will be a bit before I get out to the in laws again though. Are you in a big hurry?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM

I know it well. Right on the way to the parents. I will look at them and see if there is anything usable. You may be able to clean them up. but they were rusty as all get out. It will be a bit before I get out to the in laws again though. Are you in a big hurry?
Well...we are brining the seats in to get new covers put on, that should take a couple weeks. I did locate a set of tracks at Jack's Auto Ranch in Watertown...but they might be just as rusty!

Let me know whatcha think.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM

You may want to see what you can do with those tracks from jacks. I was looking at them the other and had to use a torch to get the tracks out of the car. I damaged one leg beyond repair. I forgot all about it when I spoke up. They are rusted solid anyhow and would require an ape load of work to refurbish assuming you could.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM

OK...will do.

Thanks again. I actually called Sewards salvage today (in Clinton) and they have them for 20 bucks.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM

What else they got? Where are they located? I thought they were out by Edgerton
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM

Your right chad...they are located between edgerton and milton (not clinton) on 59.

They have about 7-8 GM 70-72 cars. I went out today and got the tracks off a 72 shylark...20 bucks. (man it was hot!)

The cars are half under water, but I found what I was looking for.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM

I went out there a few years back with my dad and brother (who just joined up) we picked up an elcamino carcass with a complete stick asby and good floor for something like a buck and a quarter. I think the cowl and doors went into my brothers project (2 door malibu wagon) and the stick asby is in my dads project (BBC 4spd 80ish malibu) . Family affair. I kept my furry can INDOORS today. I'll have to get out there one of these days and check the place out again. Too bad that one up in whitewater closed up. I can't remember the name off hand but they had more shiz from the 60's and 50's out there... Wonder what happened to it all.
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM

68 Cutlas bench seat

Hi everyone!

I attached a few pictures of my bench seat in my 68 Cutlass s. I am hoping that someone can confirm that this is the right seat for this car because I know it isn't the original one. I plan to buy a complete interior kit for this car in the future and I will need a seat that the original upholstery will work on. It is a bench seat column shift automatic and I am happy with it. Strato buckets are cool but they will be very expensive and the bench seat grew on me. I don't have headrests but I don't mind. I live in Colorado so if anyone has the right seat and is close to me let me know.

Thank you!

Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
erik's sh...stuff 006.jpg (63.0 KB, 22 views)
erik's sh...stuff 007.jpg (66.1 KB, 31 views)
erik's sh...stuff 008.jpg (40.4 KB, 22 views)
erik's sh...stuff 009.jpg (81.3 KB, 23 views)
erik's sh...stuff 002.jpg (101.8 KB, 27 views)
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by erik68cutlas
Hi everyone!

I attached a few pictures of my bench seat in my 68 Cutlass s. I am hoping that someone can confirm that this is the right seat for this car because I know it isn't the original one. I plan to buy a complete interior kit for this car in the future and I will need a seat that the original upholstery will work on. It is a bench seat column shift automatic and I am happy with it. Strato buckets are cool but they will be very expensive and the bench seat grew on me. I don't have headrests but I don't mind. I live in Colorado so if anyone has the right seat and is close to me let me know.

Thank you!

Erik
Hi Eric,
The more I look at these seats, the more I think someone put a bench from a 1970-1972 with a real home makeover upholstery job. The seat uprights are from 70-72 and the headrest would be too. If I remember right, the 1968/69 used a headrest that had 2 posts going into the upright. Don't know off hand whether the same bench chassis is used on all the A bodies. It might be different for different model years.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Shoot. Wish I saw this when I was back in Phoenix. I have a '69 bench seat with headrests (that is for sale). Usually, the '68's did not come with headrests. I believe that might have been a mid-year option, although the experts will have to chime in here. After speaking with the people at Legendary prior to installing my interior, it seems that the 68-69 seat frames were specific to those years. Do a search here on the site. I have a thread about it somewhere.

Also, in case you don't know, for the '68-69 seat covers, definitely go with Legendary. The PUI covers do not look correct. The dimples on the pattern are way too shallow.