What bucket seats do you guys have?

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM

What bucket seats do you guys have?

Is anyone running any non period correct bucket seats in their car? What rails are you using? Most of my interior in my 69 Cutlass is trash, and I'm thinking of putting in either S10 buckets or Cavalier bucket seats because their plentiful in LKQ for $30 each and I already have a set of cavilier rails from when I put cavy seats in my Fiero Ferrari kit car. Of couse I assume I need to drill new holes in the floor or make adapter brackets but What are you guys running? Pics?
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:06 PM

I'm running inflatinflatable lumbar GTA buckets (in my el camino not the 442), they're very comfortable. You will need to make brackets for any non original seat. Make sure the seats are level and satisfactory for your height. If the seat is in a bind it will not adjust correctly. I would advise you to remove the carpet when building the brackets, it will be much easier. Good luck! I'm not having an luck adding pics from my phone, sorry.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:12 PM

I was able to upload into my album with the phone. The ec is disabled in the garage so the pic isn't great. Hope that helps.
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by brddg
I'm running inflatinflatable lumbar GTA buckets (in my el camino not the 442), they're very comfortable. You will need to make brackets for any non original seat. Make sure the seats are level and satisfactory for your height. If the seat is in a bind it will not adjust correctly. I would advise you to remove the carpet when building the brackets, it will be much easier. Good luck! I'm not having an luck adding pics from my phone, sorry.
Thanks for the info, and I saw the pic in your album. Those seats look good, I'm curious because I saw a Skylark I almost bought that had some sort of small-cars bucket seats in it with no center console and it looked pretty goofy and the seats didn't adjust far enough forward for my short legs. I just don't want the side of the car to make the seats look tiny, but those seats look great in your el camino. I have the carpet out of the car now, I'm cleaning up the floorboards, sanding and painting them and then I'll decide what I want to do for seats. right now I'm leaning towards Cavalier seats but maybe something bigger?
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:52 PM

I have black buckets from a Hyundai Tiberon, sporty looking and comfortable, but still look nice in the car. They even have a side air bag... LOL
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
I have black buckets from a Hyundai Tiberon, sporty looking and comfortable, but still look nice in the car. They even have a side air bag... LOL
fancy fancy! I should get some seats out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee with electric up/down/forward/backward and heat (It gets cold in NY in the winter ). The possibilities are endless!
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Do the seat mockup before painting so you don't ruin any work after the fact. And BTW Mr Nick i have a side airbag too! Just won't tell you her name here!
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM

I should rephrase "painting" lol. I'm sanding all the nasty rusty grossness, wire wheeling it, and coating it in rattle can primer so it doesn't turn into rust holes. It'd be nice to be able to repaint the car in and out. Not quite in the budget yet haha/
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:33 PM

You may also worry about the seats "leaning into each other" as seen from the outside of the car. I see that soooooo much with non-factory installed seats in cars around the custom scene. and I think most people don't notice but now you will!
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by yamahondarider
I should rephrase "painting" lol. I'm sanding all the nasty rusty grossness, wire wheeling it, and coating it in rattle can primer so it doesn't turn into rust holes. It'd be nice to be able to repaint the car in and out. Not quite in the budget yet haha/
Dude! get some por 15 if your going through all that work and don't have the funds to go all the way, I'd totally support that plan of action!
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by brddg
Dude! get some por 15 if your going through all that work and don't have the funds to go all the way, I'd totally support that plan of action!
Not a bad idea. Doesn't that go on with a paint brush? I rattle can primer'd the floor pans in my old volkswagen and lemme tell ya, fumes and dust everywhere. I'd rather brush it on