Vista Cruiser seat questions

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM

Vista Cruiser seat questions

First order of business: Call me crazy but I'm constantly tossing around the idea of putting a set of swivel bucket seats in to my 1971 Vista Cruiser!

My first question is if it is a simple installation, i.e do the brackets line up easily? Clearly I'll have to drill a bit since my Vista obviously doesn't have bucket seats already, so if need be then it's no big deal.

Second: If that idea is too ridiculous like even I think it is I'd also like to know if anybody happens to have some '68-'72 black bucket seats they would be willing to sell (or possibly trade for my front bench? only two rips on original upholstery!) I might also be interested in a black center console if I go the bucket route.

BUT before either of these ideas go too far I have to work on my dad and see if he will even allow me to switch the Vista to buckets in the front. I just figured I would ask all the questions first so when the time comes that he says I can I will be prepared.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you! -Jimmy
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM

Hi Jimmy
I think the swivel buckets are taller than the 1969-72 buckets so if your average height your head may touch the headliner. They look wider but I've never measured to really know if they are or not. I think it would take a lot of work as the swivel bucket cars had special brackets welded to the floorboard that seldom get saved when the seats are pulled. Don't ask me how I know that I'm planning to put a set of 1969-72 buckets in my flat top wagon and believe that would be an easy swap. The seat brackets are made after market so all one has to do is line them up and weld them in. And there's no question about a console fitting as the transmission tunnel is basically the same as the Cutlass/442 used. That's my 2 cents worth John
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM

Hello John,

I'm slightly below average height I believe (approx 5'6 on a good day lol). I'm more concerned about just fitting the brackets to the earlier body style. I've found a couple pairs of swivel buckets recently that do have the brackets. I just didn't think I was fortunate enough for them to line up properly. I had seen a similar topic discussed on here before but it didn't have exact specifications that I seek.

'69-'72 Buckets have always been an option for me also, it should be a very easy swap seeing as the entire frontal section of the wagon is one and the same with the Cutlass. The console was only an issue if I were to do the swivel buckets because I was afraid that they might have been wide enough to interfere with the console fitment.

Thank you very much John, your "2 cents worth" is taken as a wealth of knowledge for a growing Oldsmobile enthusiast! -Jimmy
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Registered

Mightaswell

Get 360 degree swivel seat bases like 70's custom vans and a table and you could have card games and sit down white linen tablecloth dinners in the back.
My brand new son-in-law is 5'6, he's a cop, in uniform he's about 6'2.

Mightaswell do the console and floor shifter too if you do buckets.
Mightaswell get a console harness so the lights work.
Mightaswell change the steering column to a floor shifter type.
Mightaswell make it a tilt column as long as you're doing it.
Mightaswell pull the column apart and tighten up and check everything.
Mightaswell replace the rag joint.
Mightaswell do a guicker ratio steering box as long as that much is apart.
Mightaswell paint the steering column.
Mightaswell get a Rally steering wheel.
Mightaswell replace the turn signal switch.
Mightaswell replace the speedometer with a floor shifter type.
Mightaswell replace the carpeting as long as the seats out.
Mightaswell Por-15 the floor.
Mightaswell do sound deadener before the carpeting.
Mightaswell pull the back seat out to do the carpeting too.
Mightaswell run wiring for video and sound before it's all back together.
Mightaswell forget it because your Dad will tell you no dice anyway.