Vista Cruiser cargo well divider

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
4R5

Vista Cruiser cargo well divider

My '71 VC 3 seater cargo well had (I think) a divider in the front of the well to block off the area used by the 3rd seat when its retracted. I was at a salvage yard years ago and found a '70 3 seat VC with what I call a "bookboard" divider. Very well weathered, but I grabbed it. The "bookboard" material looks identical to the material used in the door panels, except painted black on one side.
My question is: at the cargo well floor are 2 tabs with 2 holes each. was there a strip or plate attached to those tabs to meet up with the bottom of the divider? Their corners are awfully sharp, leading me to believe something attached to them. The tabs line up with the rear edge of the divider mounting (at the cargo floor brace).
Picture of the weathered divider in my car:

A closeup of the 2 tabs:

If anyone has pictures of their 3 seater cargo area I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure the 1st gen 3 seaters had this. I couldn't find any pictures on the 'net.
Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
Gary

I've had two 3-seat 1970 Vistas. I was the second owner on both, and they were family-owned--so nothing had been "improved" by strings of previous owners.

On both, the fiberboard was intact (no deterioration on the bottom).

It rested against and in front of the two locating tabs. So the sharp edges weren't a factor. There were no connectors or pins through the board into the holes in the tabs.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
4R5

Thanks Gary.
Based on what I have and your descripion I should be able to make up a new piece. I did find a place that sells sheets of what they call waterproof cowlboard so I bought a sheet of that. Same thickness (0.1") as the original.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Learned something new with this.