Strato bucket recliner adjustment

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Strato bucket recliner adjustment

I am looking for any guidance on how to adjust the seat recline cable on a stratobucket seat on a 69 Cutlass. Had to take the seat apart for recovering and am not convinced that the cable is adjusted correctly. Any pics of the area where the cylinder release cable attaches to the lever on the seat bottom appreciated.

Steve P
El Paso
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:20 AM

I wasn't aware of a 'recline' option on the back of a Strato bucket.
I've a bad back, and have had to add washers to the stops to sit straighter.
If you're refering to the front to rear adjustment, yes, the cables seem to stretch, but that's usually from the ring attatching the cable to the upper spring or frame going away.
I've used the hog rings to re-attach them - gives you more room under the seat to store things.
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM

There is a pneumatic air cylinder on the right side of the right seat back that is adjustable. Its controlled by a small lever on the outside of the seat bottom.
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:04 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I wasn't aware of a 'recline' option on the back of a Strato bucket.
I've a bad back, and have had to add washers to the stops to sit straighter.
If you're refering to the front to rear adjustment, yes, the cables seem to stretch, but that's usually from the ring attatching the cable to the upper spring or frame going away.
I've used the hog rings to re-attach them - gives you more room under the seat to store things.
Ive gotta do that to mine it sits a bit too reclined for my comfort

Originally Posted by spate51
There is a pneumatic air cylinder on the right side of the right seat back that is adjustable. Its controlled by a small lever on the outside of the seat bottom.
a picture might be helpful I dont belive mine are like that
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Randy C.

A little bit of curiousity here. First, on those early reclining passenger bucket seats, I'm not aware of any air cylinders.

Second, the reclining passenger bucket seat wasn't an option in '69, to my knowledge. But...a sharp car salesman could have made it happen by replacing the stock '69 buckets with a pair of '68 buckets with the passenger recliner. Probably expensive, but if the customer was insistent...!

On '68 buckets, the seat back release is on the outer side of the seat back. On '69 buckets, the seat back release is on the back side, in the middle, of the seat back.

I changed out the buckets in my '69 so I could have the recliner.

Does your recliner sit further back in the full upright position than the driver seat back?

Having said all that, I don't have a clue on how to adjust the cable. There's got to be a way, though - perhaps if you know someone that does upholstery, they can tell you. Adding a washer or two to the stops sounds like a viable idea.

Randy C.
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:24 PM

My 66 442 also has the reclining bucket on the pass side. It no longer reclines.......... it appears that the cable is hooked up but the seat back doesn't go back. I imagine the cylinder is frozen? Is there anywhere to obtain a new or rebuilt one?
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Getting There

I have tons of pics on the strato recliners here goes from page 3 into page 4
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...cpZZ3QQtppZZ16
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Getting There

You can free the cylunder up I had to do it to one of mine
It is a rod and cable system
It is more likely the cable is out of place or needs adjustment
Very simple system and setup
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Getting There

Typo on the cylinder lol or maybe not
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
A little bit of curiousity here. First, on those early reclining passenger bucket seats, I'm not aware of any air cylinders.

Second, the reclining passenger bucket seat wasn't an option in '69, to my knowledge. But...a sharp car salesman could have made it happen by replacing the stock '69 buckets with a pair of '68 buckets with the passenger recliner. Probably expensive, but if the customer was insistent...!

On '68 buckets, the seat back release is on the outer side of the seat back. On '69 buckets, the seat back release is on the back side, in the middle, of the seat back.

I changed out the buckets in my '69 so I could have the recliner.

Does your recliner sit further back in the full upright position than the driver seat back?

Having said all that, I don't have a clue on how to adjust the cable. There's got to be a way, though - perhaps if you know someone that does upholstery, they can tell you. Adding a washer or two to the stops sounds like a viable idea.

Randy C.
It was available for the 69 model year and they used the side release button for the upper seat backs when equipped with the passenger recliner.

Henry
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM

The cable on mine appears to be hooked up correctly. The lever works the cable, but there is no movement in the cylinder. The cylinder seems to be frozen up. Is the cylinder hydraulic or spring loaded?
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Randy C.

When all else fails, let's go to the book. The book I'm referring to is the '68 Body By Fisher Service Manual. On page 15-32, it says this about the reclining front seat back:

"The reclining seat back, which is available on the passenger seat of the strato design front seats, can be reclined approximately 30 degrees from the normal seat back position. The reclining unit is a friction operation mechanism and is actuated by a control handle and cable at the right side of the seat.

When the control handle is pulled upward, the control cable unlocks the reclining positioning unit in the seat back, allowing the seat back to be reclined by means of rearward pressure on the seat back, to a maximum of approximately 30 degrees or until the control handle is released. When the control handle is released, the reclining positioning unit is locked and will not allow the seat back to be reclined further. When the control handle is pulled up and there is no rearward pressure on the seat back, the assist spring in the reclining positioning unit will return the seat to the normal position or to a position at which the handle is released. The friction mechanism of the positioning unit will allow the seat back to be moved forward to the normal position with approximatedly four pounds manual forward push at the top of the seat back. This "dress-up" feature allows the driver or passenger to return a reclined seat back to its normal position without having to operate the control handle."

There's more on pages 15-33 to 15-35. If you don't have this manual at home, I think there might be a copy at www.wildaboutcars.com that can be perused/downloaded. I've also attached a picture of the reclining passenger seat that was on page 15-34.

I'm sure we are dealing with springs and not any sort of hydraulic cylinder action.

Question for Henry (66400) regarding the reclining passenger bucket seat for the '69 model cars: What was the option code for the reclining passenger seat in model year 1969? I see it in my list of option codes as A70 (for the strato-bucket seat) and A69 (for the strato-bench seat) for the 1968 model year, but I don't see either listed in any of the option codes I have for the 1969 model year.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
recliningbucketseat.jpg (46.6 KB, 37 views)
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Question for Henry (66400) regarding the reclining passenger bucket seat for the '69 model cars: What was the option code for the reclining passenger seat in model year 1969? I see it in my list of option codes as A70 (for the strato-bucket seat) and A69 (for the strato-bench seat) for the 1968 model year, but I don't see either listed in any of the option codes I have for the 1969 model year.

Randy C.[/QUOTE]
Just a personal recollection, in the early '80's I parted out a 69 Cutlass Supreme 2drhdtp hard loaded with 350 4bl, at, power steering disc brakes, SSII wheels, Ralle Pac, AMFM, tilt, sport steering wheel, air conditioned, power windows, trunk release, vinyl top, console, driver power seat, passenger recliner.

The seats did have the 69 cutlass Supreme style seat covers so I feel they were original to the car but no actual solid ironclad proof.

Henry
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Randy C.

That's good info to know. I had heard that salesmen could/would special order a reclining bucket seat (and matching driver bucket with the side seat back release) for people that still wanted them but that it would have been a dealer installation, much like other things such as the big trunk rubber mat. I had also heard that a person could simply "special order" this "option" although it wasn't listed on the option list. That makes sense to me because the reclining passenger bucket seat was still an option for at least the Pontiac "A" bodies until into the 1970 production year, so the "skeleton" recliner would still be available to people who knew about it.

Good and interesting discussion.

Randy C.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:15 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and am having the same issue with my reclining seat cable. My cylinder is not frozen up, it just seems like my cable is stretched. If I grab the end of the cable with vise grips, the mechanism works perfectly. If the cable is hooked up, it doesn't because the cable almost seems to long and doesn't pull far enough to operate. Is there a way that these cables can be shortened to remove the slack due to stretching? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!